Air/Aerial Achievement Medals

Guest johannagain

Guest paulpetro

I'm writing a summer term paper about military decorations (11th grade history). It seems that the medals awarded the most (currently) are the Air Medal and Aerial Achievement medal. I've already read the descriptions and requirements for these awards on Wikipedia, however, I've also heard that there are hour requirements for these awards as well.

Can anyone share their particular achievements for their respective award? Is there a benchmark of 25 combat missions/combat flight hours for award of the Air Medal in the Air force today? What exactly is the Aerial Achievement medal awarded for?

Thanks for your help. Look forward to many responses.

Paul :flag_waving:

I'm writing a summer term paper about military decorations (11th grade history). It seems that the medals awarded the most (currently) are the Air Medal and Aerial Achievement medal. I've already read the descriptions and requirements for these awards on Wikipedia, however, I've also heard that there are hour requirements for these awards as well.

Can anyone share their particular achievements for their respective award? Is there a benchmark of 25 combat missions/combat flight hours for award of the Air Medal in the Air force today? What exactly is the Aerial Achievement medal awarded for?

Thanks for your help. Look forward to many responses.

Paul :flag_waving:

You have to earn a certain number of points (300) to get an Air Medal. You get 15 points per combat mission (and mission rehearsal sorties in the combat zone -- more for the CSAR folks who wouldn't fly much if we didn't do mission rehearsals to keep our skills sharp), which means 20 missions. You have to fly at least a 0.7 hr sortie for it to count as a mission, or if it's shorter, it has to be an actual alert scramble (aka a real mission). Maintainance test flights don't count toward this total. Clear as mud?

Edited by stract

Guest JorryFright21
more for the CSAR folks who wouldn't fly much if we didn't do mission rehearsals to keep our skills sharp)

Unless you count the CSAR bubbas that are over there flying Medevac. I flew over 60 missions this last trip to the desert doing Medevac. It was hard for the dedicated CSAR bubbas to sit there and watch us fly so much, but alas, I know their pain. BTDT. I don't agree with getting medals so easy, and am not necessarily proud or ashamed of them, but I got 3 AM's out of that 4 month trip.

• Upvote 1

What exactly is the Aerial Achievement medal awarded for?

I can't speak for everyone, but for airlift guys it's awarded for 20 combat support missions, whereas the Air Medal is awarded for 20 combat missions (technically 300 points awarded from combat missions). Generally speaking, a mission that flies in to, out of, or over Iraq or Afghanistan is a combat mission. A mission that flies in direct support of OIF or OEF (for instance taking passengers from Kuwait to Qatar), but does not enter Iraqi or Afghan airspace, is a combat support mission.

It seems that the medals awarded the most (currently) are the Air Medal and Aerial Achievement medal.

Not sure I agree with your assessment the the Air Medal and Aerial Achievement Medal are "awarded the most"

If you're looking for quantity, don't discount:

National Defense Medal

GWOT Service

GWOT Expeditionary

OIF Campaign Medal

OEF Campaign Medal

Requirements for all: pulse and light travel

Guest paulpetro
Not sure I agree with your assessment the the Air Medal and Aerial Achievement Medal are "awarded the most"

You're correct. I may have made an inaccurate statement. I read an article (perhaps in Air Force Times) that showed the percentages for particular awards. The AM and AAM seemed to be the two awarded with greater frequency. I didn't mean to discount any of the other awards that you mentioned. Thanks for your service and help.

Paul Petro :flag_waving:

Edited by paulpetro

Here's a dumb question: These medals are based on number of missions, not number of hours? So if you have, say, a BUFF or BONE crew that burns circles in the sky 10 hours at a go, you'd have 200 hours to get a medal. If you have something else that only goes up for, say, and hour at a time, he'd have 20 hours for the same medal.

Is there any adjustment for the length of mission is what I'm asking, I guess. Not that it really matters, just curious.

Here's a dumb question: These medals are based on number of missions, not number of hours? So if you have, say, a BUFF or BONE crew that burns circles in the sky 10 hours at a go, you'd have 200 hours to get a medal. If you have something else that only goes up for, say, and hour at a time, he'd have 20 hours for the same medal.

Is there any adjustment for the length of mission is what I'm asking, I guess. Not that it really matters, just curious.

Medals are based on missions, not # of hours.

• 1 month later...

I know there are probably a few people on here that have a single event air medal, and I was wondering if anybody would like to share how they got it (provided it isn't classified.) Also helpful would be if someone knew of a website where you could look up citations for medals that people have received from OEF/OIF.

I ask for two reasons:

Fist, in the Herk community you always hear stories about C-17 crews getting medals for stuff that we do everyday. I know most of it is probably just Herk guys talking trash, but I would be interested to hear what kinds of things that C-17s have been decorated for.

Second, I have a mission that my crew talked about putting in for an AM with a "V" device, but we never got around to it (the AC was kind of a dumbass.) If guys have gotten them for similar stuff, I think it would be dumb not to at least try.

Guest JorryFright21

C-17 guys getting AM's for doing what you do everyday is :rainbow: . So is getting an AM for doing the mission that you train for everyday. Why should you get an AM just for doing your job? I'm interested to see people's reasons for this.

I know a few guys who got single event DFCs... but thats another thread. A few of those are total BS. One is deserved IMHO... Rhino LZ ops the first night of Afganistan.

Chuck

I'm not trying to p!ss in your corn flakes, but I read the LM citation for that DFC in Air Force Crimes back in the day. I have to say that a LM getting a DFC for backing a C-17 on a dimly lit or not lit runway, scanning in flight for the possibility of SAMs and small arms fire is a bunch of BS. The DFC may have been deserved for what they did but damn, someone should have at least written the citation better.

First, in the Herk community you always hear stories about Budda crews getting medals for stuff that we do everyday. I know most of it is probably just Herk guys talking trash, but I would be interested to hear what kinds of things that C-17s have been decorated for.

Off-DZ drops, landing on dirt = DFC. But when you hear the Herk guys rag on the Budda, it's referring to earlier in the war. Mainly this is because Budda guys were putting in for DFCs and getting them just for landing on dirt LZs. The same shit Herks have done in every war previously. The problem is:

1) The Budda is new and expensive, so the AF is quick to recognize any form achievement.

2) The Barney guys weren't afraid to put themselves in for the award.

Herk guys are notoriously bad at putting themselves in for medals, we chalk it up to "business as usual". Which is fine, but with that mindset, you can't always call bullshit when another airframe gets medals for doing the same shit.

Second, I have a mission that my crew talked about putting in for an AM with a "V" device, but we never got around to it (the AC was kind of a dumbass.) If guys have gotten them for similar stuff, I think it would be dumb not to at least try.

If you think you rate it and your AC never put you in for it, then take charge.

One is deserved IMHO... Rhino LZ ops the first night of Afganistan.

This is where we differ.

HD

Edited by HerkDerka

I'm not trying to p!ss in your corn flakes, but I read the LM citation for that DFC in Air Force Crimes back in the day. I have to say that a LM getting a DFC for backing a C-17 on a dimly lit or not lit runway, scanning in flight for the possibility of SAMs and small arms fire is a bunch of BS. The DFC may have been deserved for what they did but damn, someone should have at least written the citation better.

C-17 DFC's aren't even remotely as bad as the McConnell crew who got DFC's for getting lost when OIF kicked off.

Herk guys are notoriously bad at putting themselves in for medals, we chalk it up to "business as usual". Which is fine, but with that mindset, you can't always call bullshit when another airframe gets medals for doing the same shit.

Hmmm...I'm a Bhudda Bubba and qualify for 5 AMs (and have none). The fact of the matter is that how many medals I have has no bearing on how I fly my acft today or the next. I agree it is "business as usual" and writing queepy medal paperwork for yourself is as absurd as writing your own OPR/EPR. A lot of people take a lot of time to writh their own award so they can look "sweet" at the AF ball. "Go bananas" I say. I'd personally rather be in the squadron bar boozing with Chuck and making fun of LTs.

Coasta

Hmmm...I'm a Bhudda Bubba and qualify for 5 AMs (and have none). The fact of the matter is that how many medals I have has no bearing on how I fly my acft today or the next. I agree it is "business as usual" and writing queepy medal paperwork for yourself is as absurd as writing your own OPR/EPR. A lot of people take a lot of time to writh their own award so they can look "sweet" at the AF ball. "Go bananas" I say. I'd personally rather be in the squadron bar boozing with Chuck and making fun of LTs.

Coasta

Writing medal paperwork for yourself does feel kind of self serving, but it's the AC's job to take care of his crew. When you have a MSgt that's trying to make Senior and a SSgt trying to make Tech on your crew, it's nice to help them get more points and have something in their packet that makes them stand out from the competition. Being the AC that says, "We don't need medals to prove that we fly good" makes you look like an ass to the guys that depend on that stuff to get promoted.

Awesome post.

Writing medal paperwork for yourself does feel kind of self serving, but it's the AC's job to take care of his crew. When you have a MSgt that's trying to make Senior and a SSgt trying to make Tech on your crew, it's nice to help them get more points and have something in their packet that makes them stand out from the competition. Being the AC that says, "We don't need medals to prove that we fly good" makes you look like an ass to the guys that depend on that stuff to get promoted.

Also, an awesome post.

The problem is to find the middle ground. Put your troops in for awards when they deserve them, at the same time don't go overboard and give the appropriate medal for the action. Otherwise, we will eventually ruin the prestige behind all medals and the last few true medals for heroism (like the silver star) will end up just another bronze star-esque award for achievement.

HD

When you have a MSgt that's trying to make Senior and a SSgt trying to make Tech on your crew, it's nice to help them get more points and have something in their packet that makes them stand out from the competition.
I see what you're saying... but...

Should that MSgt be a Senior?

Should that SSgt be a Tech?

If there's no leadership ability (or not enough) in someone, you shouldn't be writing awards just to get them promoted. That's how we end up with Chiefs and First Shirts who couldn't lead the way out of a f*ckin' wet paper bag, and are only capable of busting people at the door of the chowhall for their socks being too short, or their bag being a little dirty/wrinkled. I think we can all agree that's not leadership, and we don't need any more of that kind of bullshit.

By those standards a lot of LMs should have 100+ AMs! If that's the best bullets they had for a one flight AM citation, they should have saved the ink and told him, "Great job Load, get your 12 hours of crew rest and we'll do it again tomorrow," like the rest of us LMs did. What would they award him, had they actually been shot at, let alone survived it. I truly hope this is not the standard in that community. I've seen some of my buddy LMs get AMs for a single mission in AFSOC, but the above mentioned was probably the easiest and safest part of their mission.

I know some old craniums at the VFW and they would have a heart attack if they even knew what was written of in this thread!

As far as helping out the E's in your crew, I understand the predicament. The problem lies in the EPR system which has been inflated to basically make 95% of dudes getting firewall 5s. I'm no longer in the E side, but do some of you E-flyers know if anything is being done to fix the broken EPR system? I know when I had EPR's written I'd be pissed because I worked my ass off, while the average Joes got firewall 5s too because they did a decent job, didn't get a DUI or punch someone out. That's BS. Average workers should get average ratings and outstanding workers should get the 5s they deserve. That way Os don't feel the pressure of having to hook up their Es to give them an advantage that they may not deserve to get that next stripe.

I wonder if this happens in every war after a few years or are we just that willing to give medals out for anything now more than past conflicts (Vietnam, WW1, WW2, Korea)?

Each squadron obviously does it differently. I work in Sq awards and decs and our crews don't track or write their own AM or AAM. Someone long before me made a database that all sq missions are logged into and it tells us when someone has enough points to earn either. It then merges the data into the Form 1 and 3994 and all thats needed is a quick QC and the citation (which for the most part is canned, just add significant event) and off it goes for signatures. I personally think that if you flew 20 missions in the box then you earned it no matter what your job is. Yes it is our job and yes some of the significant events that get used are :rainbow: but earning the medal is based on the number of missions you fly, not the type of mission you fly. That falls under the single event Air Medal or a DFC. Whether that is right or wrong is subject to opinion but that is the way it's written. like it was stated before it's the AC's job to take care of the crew. Our sq just took it one step further to make sure people get recognized.

I know there are probably a few people on here that have a single event air medal, and I was wondering if anybody would like to share how they got it (provided it isn't classified.) Also helpful would be if someone knew of a website where you could look up citations for medals that people have received from OEF/OIF.

That being said, and to bring this email back on point, yes I fly with a guy who has a single event AM.

Reading the citation almost makes you think he brought down the Taliban all by himself (a true work of Awards and Dec's "art" if I do say so my self). But, like Rainman and the dude in question would say: it speaks nothing of his abilities as a aviator, he was just there and he did his job well. The same as any other qualified and competent aircrew member would do.

GW

We've got a U-2 pilot who got a single-event Air Medal back in Jan 03 for a U-2 mission over Iraq.

Another guy got a single-event DFC for an event that took place around Nov '01,... not sure of the date.

Whether they deserved it or not, I'm not going to engage in. However, it did happen.

Guest JorryFright21
I personally think that if you flew 20 missions in the box then you earned it no matter what your job is. Yes it is our job and yes some of the significant events that get used are :rainbow: but earning the medal is based on the number of missions you fly, not the type of mission you fly. That falls under the single event Air Medal or a DFC. Whether that is right or wrong is subject to opinion but that is the way it's written.

That's the mentality that makes most medals worthless. I'm sorry, but the crap our crews do on a basic combat sortie where nothing crazy happens, is a way more intense than anything you do in a C-17 on a "combat" mission. Hey, alright, you landed on a dirt strip. :thumbsup: I've flown into the AOR in a few C-17's and have to laugh when you guys yank and bank on approach and departure. I sat up in the cockpit with a crew one time and the AC asked me if I wanted to help them scan for threats, I said okay. I guess it's good and important for every airframe to take their jobs as seriously as they can because then they'll be prepared for the moment when something crazy does happen, but what's crazy in a C-17 or a Herk seems pretty laid back compared to some of the stuff other airframes have seen. Don't get me wrong, dodging a manpad or a SAM is crazy no matter what airframe you fly, but some people see mirror flashes and think they're getting shot at, and sometimes it the misreps sound more like attempts at getting medals.

I'm not trying to start a pissing match, but it is what it is. Some missions, although vitally important to the success of the overall mission just aren't that hairy. Medals are a waste of time. Saying that just because you flew 20 missions in the box where 95% of the time you are outside of the WEZ of everything in the country is the same as an A-10 pilot that flies 20 missions getting shot at is absolutely ludicrous. Go talk to an AH-64 or little bird pilot that get shot at all the time and ask them what they think of AF aircrew whining about not getting the "credit" their due.

Now, before all the heavy guys start yelling at me, saying I don't understand, or it's more difficult that I think let me say this. I'm sure you're right, I don't understand, and I'm sure it is more difficult than it looks. Then remember that you aren't the only heavy pilots in the world, and like everyone else here, I'm friends with someone from virtually every other airframe in the inventory, and most of them are pretty realistic about the difficulty of their respective jobs.