Flight sunglasses

Guest Dirt Beater

Not a pilot but I just picked up some Oakley Half Wires and they are like you are wearing nothing in terms of weight. I had them on for a 6 hour drive today and no pain, soreness etc. The only place to get them is the Oakley Gov't site though, prices are great.

Edit: You can get them else where but MSRP is around 175. I payed 75.

Edited by Vandal905

Any new insights? I'm looking to get a new pair of sunglasses to wear under my headset. Thanks.

I've never worn glasses while flying until recently. The eyes don't like the sunrise much after a 5 hour ocean crossing, so I went out and bought a $20 pair of glasses at Target. (Not sure what brand, but they have the Ironman logo on them so they match my watch... a definate fashion statement). They get pretty badly abused so I didn't want to go with anything that I would feel bad about replacing every six months.

As far as the headset issue goes, I've tried wearing them under the earcups, but it really kills a lot of the noise attenuation (especially if you use the Oregon Aero comfort kit), so I've started wearing them propped up on top of the earcup so they angle downward. I know it kills a lot of the coolness factor, but I still get good coverage over the eyes and it's very easy to take them off if I need to look down at the pedastal or something like that. I look like an old man peering through bifocals, but it works.

Guest motofalcon

Here's your perfect solution - light, cheap, and they dont go under your headset at all

Rollens

Anybody who has had their eyes dilated should recognize these and remember how cool they make you look.

Guest Bayonet29

I've gone through about 4 pairs in the last 6 month and am pleased to say that these are by far the best I've found, and they can have prescription lenses ordered with them. The blue frames worried me at first, but are transparent and look black when you wear them. Maui Jim glasses are pricey, but the $180 price tag gives me extra incentive to take care of them instead of buying 20 cheap pairs a year and destroying them on a weekly or monthly basis.

recently started wearing Oakley Flack Jackets. No complaints. Pretty comfortable under headsets but anything will hurt after having headsets on for 10+. As for UPT. I always wore oakley wires and not once did anyone say anything to me. It's kind of hard for someone to tell you you're supposed to be wearing only AF issued sunglasses when they are sporting oakley's.

• Upvote 1

• 7 months later...
My squadron was issued these for our latest AEF deployment.

I still wear Oakleys despite having been given the ICE glasses.

** Thread Revival **

Hacker

Did you ever try the ESS ICE sunglasses that were issued to you? If so, any thoughts?

I had a set that I liked, and recently picked up a set of the new ICE-2X NAROs at Panzer Barracks in Stuttgart. I like 'em for range glasses, and think the new smaller NAROs might work better under the motorcycle helmet. I've never owned a pair of Oakleys in my life, and would be interested in hearing how they compare. What prompted this thread revival was I saw a nice set of polarized iridium Oakley Whiskers for $205 at La Cantera (a.k.a. San Antonio 90210) but the more I spend on stylish sunglasses, the more likely I am to accidentally smash them to bits. As such, stronger, cheaper sunglasses such as the ESS ICEs are preferred.

Cheers! M2

Guest LittleMan
I've never owned a pair of Oakleys in my life, and would be interested in hearing how they compare. What prompted this thread revival was I saw a nice set of polarized iridium Oakley Whiskers...

First of all, I've pretty much worn Oakleys since I bought a pair of the original Fives about 10 years ago. Their lifetime frame warranty is great and anytime they've broken I just send them in for a new pair. (After the one-year warranty is up, you have to pay like twenty bucks for processing or something and they send you a new pair.) After the Fives, I bought some C-Wires that were great, and just recently bought a pair of polarized Whiskers. They are great! They are not only stylish, but I've always been impressed with Oakley's lenses... top notch!

43836da0c283b.jpg

Guest F16crewdwgg

Honestly... I know everyone likes the "aviators" when flying or being a pilot. When i fly, I like my Oakley's. They are very comfortable and incredible I'm not sure if its just Oakley's or if other expensive brand names look like this but looking through my Oakley's defines everything incredibly. It's like comparing the new laptop LCD screens with the old ones. Looking outside with no sunglasses is like an old LCD laptop screen, I put my Oakley's on and its like the new LCD, with that tint covering, that just defines everything that much more and makes the picture that much better!

Oh yea and baseops has a link to a nice Oakley's page for the military that gives 50% off!

Just my two cents..

Guest flytolive
I have a pair of Silencers, made by Native Eyewear. They're the most comfortable glasses I've ever tried on. Extrememly lightweight, and they are amazingly clear! Plus, they have a lifetime guarantee against scratches. They have some carbonate layer on them so they don't even get those little scratches that tend to slowly ruin visibility.

Third on the Natives... great glasses. You break them in anyway, anytime it's just $30 for a new pair.

Did you ever try the ESS ICE sunglasses that were issued to you? If so, any thoughts?

I haven't, but mostly because I think they look like I'm wearing a pair of sunglasses I was issued to wear in the desert.

I might go check them out today just so I can actually reply to you what they're like compared to the Oakley Fives 2.0 that I'm currently wearing.

I fly with the gradient visor. Much easier for tallies w/crappy visability vs the standard dark visor IMO. Haven't tried a high contrast visor yet.... I've never flown with sunglasses myself, I imagine they'd bother me and get in the way....meh. Outside the jet I wear half jackets which are money.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

OK, another thread revival. ESS is releasing the "Crossbow" this month...pretty nice looking...

35290L.jpg

* Ballistic 2.4mm high-impact polycarbonate lenses

* Compliant with US Federal OSHA, ANSI Z87.1+, CE EN 166 and US MIL-PRF-31013

* Tri-Techâ„¢ Fit technology achieves a universal fit with max comfort and zero pressure points

* Andvanced ClearZoneâ„¢ FlowCoat lens treatments eliminate fog inside and prevent scratches outside

* DedBoltâ„¢ Lens Lock System keeps lenses secure under impact yet easy to swap

* ESSOPTICSâ„¢ deliver distortion-free optical precision throughout the entire field of view

* Interchangeable lenses

* 100% UVA/UVB protection

* Compatible with the ESS Rx Lens Carrier Insert and the ESS P-2Bâ„¢ Rx Holder Kit

* Includes 2 black frame sets w/Clear & Smoke Gray lenses, microfiber pouch and zippered hard case

* Imported

www.esseyepro.com/crossbow

MSRP is about $95.

p.s. Wow, I just noticed my post was exactly one year to the day of the last one!

I've always hated wearing glasses when flying. They always gave me hot spots. This past summer I basically had to start wearing something. The dust would make it nearly impossible to get my visors to lower after only 12 hours post cleaning, and not having eye protection when you're flying with no cockpit doors just isn't an option. Got issued a set of the new M-Frames, the temples are pretty low profile and were comfortable enough. I flew with a set of Wiley-X Airrage that I bought at the BX in the day, both worked well. I did have to be careful with the Wileys as they're polarized and it made it impossible to read the ARC-210's display.

2 (although I could care less what AFFSA says)

Is anyone else tired of people who act like these regs came from Moses and the Burning Bush? Obviously regs were made to keep people safe, but they also should be changed and updated as newer ideas and technology evolve. AF glasses and sunglasses are perfect example of this. I don't know about you, but these rules have to go and we need to be the ones to change them because AFFSA is way off.

Somehow the regs and AFFSA think that a $7 pair of heavy, clunky and geeky glasses are better than lightweight, polycarbonate, non-reflective and scratch resistant lenses. I'll be honest, I'd much rather wear my prescription Oakleys during an A/R or approach to mins than have clunky AF lenses that make it look like there are 4 sets of runway lights with all of their crazy reflections. I personally think that AF lenses and their reflections are dangerous and fatiguing over a long flight. When I've asked about it at the optometrist before, she just said that that's the way the AF makes them and I should just get used to it. Rigggght...

Is anyone else tired of people who act like these regs came from Moses and the Burning Bush? Obviously regs were made to keep people safe, but they also should be changed and updated as newer ideas and technology evolve. AF glasses and sunglasses are perfect example of this. I don't know about you, but these rules have to go and we need to be the ones to change them because AFFSA is way off.

Somehow the regs and AFFSA think that a $7 pair of heavy, clunky and geeky glasses are better than lightweight, polycarbonate, non-reflective and scratch resistant lenses. I'll be honest, I'd much rather wear my prescription Oakleys during an A/R or approach to mins than have clunky AF lenses that make it look like there are 4 sets of runway lights with all of their crazy reflections. I personally think that AF lenses and their reflections are dangerous and fatiguing over a long flight. When I've asked about it at the optometrist before, she just said that that's the way the AF makes them and I should just get used to it. Rigggght...

It has a lot less to do with safety and a lot more to do with providing a cash cow to a government contractor. They want you/ your squadron to spend more money buying these POS glasses.

• 1 month later...
Guest breakaway

Bolle Piraja - Polarized.

I've gone thru 4 or 5 of these same glasses in the last 10 years. The polarization doesn't black out the screens on any of the instruments unless your turn your head at like a 60 degree angle to the screen. The windshield is also not completely polarized but i noticed on the T-1, C-21 and KC-10 that there is a rainbow effect...I just got used to it. i use the glasses during all phases of flight including takeoff, landing, and air refueling. the sides of the glasses are extremely thing so you can attach your headset to them (KC-10) or fit nicely under your David Clark's (T-1, C-21) without too much pressure.

I've never had anyone, Chief or otherwise, say anything about my glasses in our out of the cockpit.

I have a cheap pair of Panama Jack metal framed polarized shades I wear on and off duty at home. I don't like the polarized lenses on the plane though, because of that rainbow effect on the windows. Deployed, I wear Wiley X's, on and off the plane. I forget which model. They hold up better in my leg pocket than any metal frames could.

Never had anyone get in my chili about either one.

If I find myself flying through dawn and having to transition from NVG's to visor, it takes about 2 minutes to take the banana clip and battery pack off the helmet and attach the visor. I don't even have to remove the helmet. I don't wear sunglasses with the helmet, only on headset.

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...