Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

There are certainly other ways to recoup your retirement, specifically civil service or via a Reserve retirement (where you would most probably be able to make major btw). But the point is noted, having a 37K check a year is a very nice way of leveraging one's civilian employment income expectations from AD departure until civilian retirement. I certainly wouldn't scoff it.

All that said, for me it would come down to job satisfaction. You take me out of the flight line as a continued lifer O-3 then forget it, I'd punch.

The thought of being a Captain on active duty for the rest of my career is sickening. I know they say your ADSC is reset to 20 years but I just don't buy it. I don't want to invest another 10 years in some job where I may or may not get a pcs or two and make it to 18 years and get the news that I've been selected to be part of FY 20XX RIF. That would probably happen at year 18 and then where am I? The same place I am right now but 8 years older and MUCH more bitter. There is something to be said about job satisfaction, and knowing AF management right now I'd probably get my EP/IP status revoked "so someone else can get the chance to grow..." Fuck that, I'm gone 23 Sept and off to the Reserves.

• Upvote 2

If you finish your AAD a month or two before a promotion board and AFIT gets the record update in then the board should see this right? How recent is the SURF that they are looking at? I know at the wing level the OG and WG/CC are looking at that info 4-5 months before the board while writing the PRF and handing out DPs and Ps. The WG/CC at my base said he does not use AADs at all as a discriminator for base strats. I'm slow rolling an AAD right now and it looks like at the current pace I'll have it done a month or two before the board. Is this enough time before the board? Obviously if I get a DP I'm not worried but if I get the P I really want that AAD on the record. Thanks.

If you finish your AAD a month or two before a promotion board and AFIT gets the record update in then the board should see this right? How recent is the SURF that they are looking at? I know at the wing level the OG and WG/CC are looking at that info 4-5 months before the board while writing the PRF and handing out DPs and Ps. The WG/CC at my base said he does not use AADs at all as a discriminator for base strats. I'm slow rolling an AAD right now and it looks like at the current pace I'll have it done a month or two before the board. Is this enough time before the board? Obviously if I get a DP I'm not worried but if I get the P I really want that AAD on the record. Thanks.

My BAC+ took about a month to update. It's been a few years, but IIRC, you have to review your preselection brief (like a SURF, but with things masked, like deployments) approximately three months before the board.

Promotion boards don't see SURFs. They see something called a DQHB which is populated from AFPROMS. You have to ask the professional at your local MPF promotions section to see a copy of it.

Edited by Champ Kind

Yes, they will see it as long as you complete the AFIT update. I finished my masters Oct 12 last year and our major's board was at the beginning of Dec. You will get to review a copy of the preselection brief (another form) that will reflect your academic status. I did the AFIT update the second my transcript reflected the masters and my preselection brief did show the MAS.

You can also try to attach a memo to your PRF that states you are pretty much done. That's what I did - my CC was willing to sign a memo attached to the PRF stating I was on my last class (that way the WG CC sees that while issuing DP/P). Worked for me, anyway. I did get a DP but I will never know if my last-minute work on the masters influenced it.

Just ensure it's on the preselection brief form.

.....a few hours. ...they print out a fresh DQHB (Duty Qualification History Brief....very much like a SURF) for everyone on the morning of the board. BL: don't worry about them looking at an old DQHB......worry about your DQHB being updated/accurate.

DQHB was what I meant with preselection brief. You get to see, update, and ensure the DQHB is correct before the board.

The DQHB that will be seen is now electronic, everything they see should...should be updated as of the day prior to the board. I had a bro who had an MFR signed by his Wg/CC stating his masters and IP upgrade would be complete by board start date to ensure he had his bases covered, even though it should have been updated. IMHO have everything complete ASAP and have it in your records if you can a few months prior to avoid any records mishaps or stress.

BL: trust but verify/cya/own your records

... I'm slow rolling an AAD right now and it looks like at the current pace I'll have it done a month or two before the board ...

What board? There is no Maj board this year. It's posponed to a TBD date in CY2014. How do you know you'll be done a month or two before the board?

If you're the type to sweat an AAD, I'd say it's more important to have it done in time for your Wg/CC to see that it's complete when he/she's allocating Ps & DPs rather than sliding it in to the board just in time. Yes, if it gets finished they'll update right up to the moment the board starts, but if you've already got a weaker PRF due to not having it done when your Wing built the PRFs it may not be as helpful.

zb

What board? There is no Maj board this year. It's posponed to a TBD date in CY2014. How do you know you'll be done a month or two before the board?

Yep I'm an 05' grad, not sure when the board is next year. I am assuming it is going to be toward the end of the CY. I'll have the AAD done in the summer but will be able to plan the timing better once they announce the actual board date. The article here says it will be delayed approximately 9 months and we will find out the actual date this summer:

http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2012/09/airforce-promotion-board-delay-092512w

If you're the type to sweat an AAD, I'd say it's more important to have it done in time for your Wg/CC to see that it's complete when he/she's allocating Ps & DPs rather than sliding it in to the board just in time. Yes, if it gets finished they'll update right up to the moment the board starts, but if you've already got a weaker PRF due to not having it done when your Wing built the PRFs it may not be as helpful.

zb

Our WG/CC does not use AADs as a discriminator for PRFs or DP/P allocation. That's great but if you still end up with a P then the AAD is going to be very important at the promotion board.

Edited by Cappy70

Our WG/CC does not use AADs as a discriminator for PRFs or DP/P allocation. That's great but if you still end up with a P then the AAD is going to be very important at the promotion board.

When does he PCS? You have a lot riding on variables you can't control. Not that AAD is the be-all, end-all. But, if you're worried about when it will show up in your records, you'd think the sooner the better for you.

Yep I'm an 05' grad, not sure when the board is next year. I am assuming it is going to be toward the end of the CY. I'll have the AAD done in the summer but will be able to plan the timing better once they announce the actual board date. The article here says it will be delayed approximately 9 months and we will find out the actual date this summer:

http://www.airforcet...d-delay-092512w

Sounds like you're trying to throw a dart at a moving target, while blindfolded, based on a news article from a semi-reputable paper that quotes a guy who says where the dartboard might be located next year. You plan has too many variables. It might work out, but it might not. The only thing that you can control is the completion date for your AAD. Just accepting the temporary pain and getting it over with is the best way to avoid a May board and a June graduation. Good luck.

When does he PCS? You have a lot riding on variables you can't control. Not that AAD is the be-all, end-all. But, if you're worried about when it will show up in your records, you'd think the sooner the better for you.

He has been in the spot for less than a year. On the Major's board that just happened a P with an AAD had a 78% promotion rate as opposed to a P with no AAD having a 48% promotion rate. I'm hoping I get a DP but I'm looking at all the different variables. I'm counting on him not looking at AADs in which case I think my record is strong to slightly strong. If I still get the P then the fade away AAD at the buzzer can save me.

Sounds like you're trying to throw a dart at a moving target, while blindfolded, based on a news article from a semi-reputable paper that quotes a guy who says where the dartboard might be located next year. You plan has too many variables. It might work out, but it might not. The only thing that you can control is the completion date for your AAD. Just accepting the temporary pain and getting it over with is the best way to avoid a May board and a June graduation. Good luck.

It may seem that way, but I'll know exactly what I will have to accomplish once they release the date of the board. I have six classes left and if I take one per session I will be done in Jun 14. If the board is past that date I should be good to go. If it is before June then I can double up on classes as required to have it before the board. Bottom line is that if the board didn't get delayed and was in Dec 13 then I would not have had my AAD done. Now I have a chance to slip one by the goalie with 3 seconds left on the clock for the OT winner. Thanks for the advice.

Maybe Gen Welsh is righting this ship? Top five things for the board this year according to our Wg/CC. 1) Flt CC 2) IP time 3) Combat experience 4) AAD 5) PME

Hit & miss with what I saw with the guys that I know that were passed over.

Maybe Gen Welsh is righting this ship? Top five things for the board this year according to our Wg/CC.

1) Flt CC

2) IP time

3) Combat experience

4) AAD

5) PME

YMMV....I have 4/5 above (BAC+ only), no negatives in my records but only managed a P. Just not enough xmas parites planned I guess. Only 1 CFC POC on my resume also. Wg/CC said my 4 and 5 from above maybe were done too close to the board. The P was a surprise but not getting promoted with a P was not a surprise. Hey, I hear there is a pilot shortage on the outside so maybe I'll give that a try.

Maybe Gen Welsh is righting this ship? Top five things for the board this year according to our Wg/CC.

1) Flt CC

2) IP time

3) Combat experience

4) AAD

5) PME

How does he know? Was your Wg/CC on the promotion board? Or did the senior leaders get some kind of out brief from the board that gave them the cliff notes of how the board operated?