How long at assignments? (Time on station - TOS)

WheelzUp

Guest Sebastian

I know the general rule is 2-3 years at a base - less as you go become more senior.

But how long should a non-rated new Lt expect to stay at a particular base?

I remember hearing that between on-the-job training, ASBC and if you get out after the min 4 years you can expect it to be your first and only base. (?)

I don't know for sure, but that makes sense. Every time you PCS, you incur an ADSC (Active Duty Service Commitment). I want to say that it's around a year - doesn't make much sense for the AF to PCS a guy who's just going to get out a year later.

Guest cmdrstask
Originally posted by Sebastian:

I know the general rule is 2-3 years at a base - less as you go become more senior.

I remember hearing that between on-the-job training, ASBC and if you get out after the min 4 years you can expect it to be your first and only base. (?)

It's very possible it would be your only base. I know the comm policy for first term (or "ACE") Lts is to leave them at their first base for (edit: I'm a dumbass and said "a year" vs "three years" which is the right number). If you managed to do ASBC and BCOT enroute that remaining year would be close to six months.

I don't think they can force you to take the year ADSC for a PCS, so at that point you'd stay for the last 6 months.

[ 11. November 2005, 22:07: Message edited by: cmdrstask ]

you'll get 2 bases under your belt if you just do your 4 years.

if you come to usafe, not sure about pacaf, your deros is 2 years from the day you left the states to hop on the plane to fly over. if you don't go to your tech school or asbc prior to coming over, they'll send you once you're here and tough luck but that will still count as part of your two years.

they try to send you to tech school and asbc prior to coming over, but that sometimes doesn't work. i had to go back for asbc. while you're here though, you can extend to stay longer.

Guest Jollygreen
2-3 years is, generally, the correct answer. But there are a lot of caveats.

Overseas and single, your DEROS will probably be 2 years. Married, and it is probably three.

If your assignment is CONUS, you should get three years on station before a PCS. There are always waivers and many have gotten them. But, IIRC, the rules are to move CONUS TO CONUS with less then 3 years requires an AFPC O-6 waiver; less then 2 years requires a GO waiver; less then 1 year requires SECAF waiver.

CONUS TO OCONUS and OCONUS TO OCONUS, I believe they reduce the above amounts by one year. But, as stated, there are many caveats.

But the above are the mins. There are cases where an officer has done 4, 6, 10, or more years at the same base depending on their AFSC and the ability to PCA to other units on the base (especially if you are collocated with their group, NAF, and/or MAJCOM HHQ).

The USAF is trying to increase the time on station for everyone to cut costs. But I must admit, I've heard that before.

Guest Walter_Sobchak

I'll throw in one exception - the bomber community tends to have longer assignments. Since both the Buff and the Bone only have two bases per MWS, the tours are uncontrolled, meaning nobody's going to hack a watch at 36 months and ask you to move (usually). People who want out of the airplane to go do a white jet or other type tour usually can consider 2-3 years a minimum time, though it's not uncommon to spend 5-6 years on station. I can think of several instructors at the B-52 FTU who have been here 7+ years, having done 4-5 years in one of the operational squadrons then moving over to the schoolhouse.

Naturally, the B-2 is at Whiteman and... Whiteman. So the career path for those guys gets pretty stovepiped.

Even "stove-pipe" careers can entail a lot of moves over time. I did seven years at Hurlburt but have moved three times in the last two years, (and it looks like I will move again next summer), which will be my eighth assignment in 16 years.

Once you leave for school or a broadening opportunity you may find yourself moving several times in a short time period.

• 1 year later...
Guest T38driver

We had a guy ask about 4 year FAIP tours, and as of right now...he was told that FAIP tours will continue to be 3 years. (The rational had to do with FAIPs being considered part of the pipeline) Of course, that could all change over night or a cup of coffee.

Regards,

Guest paperpusher

According to some traffic I've seen 3 years is still the norm for AETC rated officers. You can request to extend for 1 more year, it's not automatic but it is highly encouraged. So far the answer for FAIPs is, keep em moving at 3 years. All other MAF and CAF folks stateside can expect 4 years on-station. Expected to drive down PCS costs by 1/3, and seen as a family friendly effort.

So I've heard(seen).

Guest SpectrePilot

Anybody got anything official on this "extension" idea for AETC guys? It certainly wouldn't seem fair to Operational dudes trying to get the white-jet "break" (it's sometimes hard to call it that...)

I would love to extend my AETC tour, but can't help but wonder if I'd be persecuted for trying to do so.

Originally posted by Safe&Clear:

It certainly wouldn't seem fair to Operational dudes trying to get the white-jet "break" (it's sometimes hard to call it that...)

Has anyone not been able to get an ALFA tour when they requested one because of over-manning at the SUPT bases?

Doesn't really seem like that big of a problem.

Originally posted by PhlashNU04:

How about OCONUS assignments?

DEROS extensions are looked upon favorably now. I would guess they are just a matter of paperwork completion. Not sure if future tours will be 4 years accompanied/3 years unaccompanied or not. I know that curtailments are at a minimum and have to have GO/FO justification. I'm hoping against hope to get a curtailment out of this staff job and get back to flying.

Guest Akorboy

This does effect you if you are ops, just found out today from cc, and in that regard anyone know if you can pay for your own PCS in order to get out of a current duty location. I've heard of it but didn't know if it's still allowed?