Negligent Driving

aspec

So I got a negligent driving, second degree ticket this summer (before I started ROTC) and put it down on the list of infractions when I was filling out the paper work.

Well, just last week one of the cadre asked me to fill out this paper explaining exactly what happened.

I'm just curious if something like a negligent driving ticket will ruin or lessen my chance at a pilot slot. I took the ticket to court and it was dismissed.

I'm just hoping I didn't shoot myself in the foot by getting that sort of ticket. I know it's not a felony or anything, but it is the highest traffic violation.

Guest Mave1Rick3

NO you are fine. People make mistakes, the Air Force understands that(depends to a small degree). The reasoning behind this is they want to make sure they can trust you in the air with million dollar jets, and if they cant trust you with a car they obviously cant do that. Just keep a clean track record from here on out and you will be fine. I honestly wouldnt worry about it.

Follow the speed limits, and dont get DUIs or something you are fine.

Would have been REAL bad if they found it without you telling them when they did your Secret Clearance check! VERY BAD JUJU!

• 7 years later...

I didn't see any other categoies other than the "WTF" thread perhaps...mods, move if you see fit. Received this gem of any e-mail today. I'm curious if this is a AF-wide push or the result of being the smaller unit in this awesome joint-basing experience...

"Effective immediately, you cannot operate a motor vehicle on base while using a Bluetooth ear piece. According to Security Forces, the only acceptable hands free device is one that is built into your vehicle. The first infraction for getting caught operating a motor vehicle on base while using a cell phone or an ear piece is losing your base driving privileges for 7 days. The second offense would result in a 30 day suspension of your base driving privileges. Please ensure your folks are made aware of this, thank you!"

edit for the size of the font

Edited by Light Chop

Good.

Maybe this will stop people from wearing those stupid bluetooth earpieces outside the confines of their vehicle.

Seeing people walking around with those makes me want to punch a baby.

• Upvote 1

How in the hell are they going to enforce Bluetooth headsets in your car & HTF is that less safe than using Bluetooth that's built in your car?

I'm thinking this stupidity is probably confined to your base.

Chop,

If your location didn't say west coast, I would've figured this was something out of CHS. People are getting pulled over here when the cops even see the glow of what they think is a cell phone. Automatic 2 week driving privilege suspension and no one has been successful at fighting it thus far. The cops say that the fact there are no calls or texts placed at the time of incident doesn't prove that you didn't pick up your cellphone and use it for some other reason. The crew van drivers have been getting harassed as well when they use their govt issued cells that are used strictly as a walkie talkie. Nothing like being on the way I the jet and wasting 10 minutes on the side of the road while the driver explains to the skycops about how they have to answer dispatch.

Might be a good one to ask for the reg...sounds like someone is taking an extremely narrow interpretation of the AFI. Unless the AFI specifically directs "built in bluetooth only" or whatever, then the sky cops don't have much of a leg to stand on.

Chop,

If your location didn't say west coast, I would've figured this was something out of CHS. People are getting pulled over here when the cops even see the glow of what they think is a cell phone. Automatic 2 week driving privilege suspension and no one has been successful at fighting it thus far. The cops say that the fact there are no calls or texts placed at the time of incident doesn't prove that you didn't pick up your cellphone and use it for some other reason. The crew van drivers have been getting harassed as well when they use their govt issued cells that are used strictly as a walkie talkie. Nothing like being on the way I the jet and wasting 10 minutes on the side of the road while the driver explains to the skycops about how they have to answer dispatch.

3.2.2.2. A Land Mobile Radio (LMR) is primarily a listening device and is not restricted. Cellular phones and other devices, used only in push-to-talk (walkie-talkie, direct connection) mode are considered LMR, if required and issued for the performance of official duties.

Might be a good one to ask for the reg...sounds like someone is taking an extremely narrow interpretation of the AFI. Unless the AFI specifically directs "built in bluetooth only" or whatever, then the sky cops don't have much of a leg to stand on.

3.2.3. All persons while driving any vehicle are prohibited from using Government-supplied electronic equipment for text messaging or other hand-held uses unless the vehicle is safely parked or they are using a single ear bud or voice-activated hands-free device, except as outlined in paragraph 3.2.2

From the definition section:

Hands-Free Device Operation/Use—The use of a vehicle voice-activated system or cellular phone in speaker mode or with a hands-free attachment (headset or single bud earpiece) that allows vehicle operators to keep both hands on the steering wheel and eyes on the road whenever the vehicle is in motion.

AFI 91-207: http://www.af.mil/sh...s/AFI91-207.pdf

Time to outshoe the shoeclerks!

Edited by Scaredfuzz21

Hands-Free Device Operation/Use—The use of a vehicle voice-activated system or cellular phone in speaker mode or with a hands-free attachment (headset or single bud earpiece) that allows vehicle operators to keep both hands on the steering wheel and eyes on the road whenever the vehicle is in motion.

I was told by a gate SF dude the other day that speaker phone was in fact, not a hands free device. I'll keep this little tid-bit o' knowledge with me in the future. Thanks!

I was told by a gate SF dude the other day that speaker phone was in fact, not a hands free device. I'll keep this little tid-bit o' knowledge with me in the future. Thanks!

There's always the "local bases can be more restrictive" caveat. Many of the bases I've been to post it as "driving holding a cell phone is illegal " which removes the cops having to prove anything and would allow speakerphones only if in a dash mount, etc.

Chop,

If your location didn't say west coast, I would've figured this was something out of CHS.

Updated...middle of the PACAF TFI base...

We're the little spoon in the TFI relationship....and just found out it is a Navy reg....and we have to abide by it. After a lot of commotion from yesterday's e-mail, there was a clarification e-mail that was sent out today...bold/italics for emhasis:

"IAW Navy HHQ regulations (CNICI 5530.14, CNIC Ashore Protection Program), cellular phones can be used on base when using hands free devices. Hands free devices include console/dash mounted or otherwise secured cellular phones with integrated features such as voice activation, speed dial, speakerphone or other similar technology for sending and receiving calls. There is no requirement that it be built into the vehicle. However, driver use of any portable, personal listening device worn inside the aural canal, around or covering the driver’s ear (including wired or wireless earphones and headphones, Bluetooth® or similar technology) is not authorized on base while operating a motor vehicle, except for fire and emergency response or law enforcement/security purposes. Hearing aids or devices designed and required for hearing enhancement are exempt from this prohibition. As for the penalty, violation of the cell phone policy on xxxxx warrants a mandatory Joint Base Traffic Court appearance. It is up to the Traffic Court Administrator to determine what sanctions to impose. However, three points will be assessed against a driver's base driving record for violations of the cell phone policy.

Ladies and gentelmen of the jury, exhibit 448 as to why joint basing is less than desirable....