Aviation Continuation Pay (ACP - The Bonus)

Toro

Yup that's right. With the legacy bonus, prior rated UPT students have always been able to take their respective bonus while in UPT up until the day they graduate and get their pilot wings. Just wondering if the same is true for this new bonus program.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Anyone know if a temporary change to your exemptions and/or W4 will reduce bonus taxes? My idea is adjust those for the month of the bonus payout, then adjust them back to standard afterwards - goal is not give the govt an interest free loan. If this isn’t going to work, any other ideas?

10 hours ago, brabus said:

Anyone know if a temporary change to your exemptions and/or W4 will reduce bonus taxes? My idea is adjust those for the month of the bonus payout, then adjust them back to standard afterwards - goal is not give the govt an interest free loan. If this isn’t going to work, any other ideas?

Not a professional; consult one…

Not directly. The payout will be withheld as a bonus, but remember: it’s taxed the same as any normal income. If that withholding is at a significantly higher rate than the rest of your income (unlikely, I’d guess), you COULD adjust to “flatten” that bubble over the rest of the year to hit 0(ish).

Consult a pro & don’t dork up the math. Not worth the pain or risk of messing it up without realizing it… IMHO. 

On 2/23/2024 at 10:24 PM, brabus said:

Agreed,  not worth the potential fuck up. I just hate giving the govt a dime for free…I’m the guy who is happy to owe a few thousand in taxes. A tax refund means I failed.

This is my stance as well, which often means I write a big check.  A friend just said they were fined (block 38 of 1040) for not paying enough.  His view was that he made more using that money elsewhere, so he'll pay the fine, even if we all know the fine is bullshit.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...