Life expectancy of the C-21

Guest C-21 Pilot

Guest C-21 Pilot

All,

As many of you know, the C-21 is getting phased down - and eventually out. Congress approved a reduction by 50% a few weeks back.

Here is the "unoffical" listing from a buddy of mine who works Chief of OSA/VIPSAM Planning at AMC.

Andrews 13 to 6

WP 13 to 5

C.S. 10 to 3

Scott 14 to 9 (to include school house aircraft)

Keesler 5 to 0

School house will move to Scott and be assumed by AMC.

AAFSA will move to OKC.

Ramstein 14 to 8 or 9

Yokota 4 to 3

The rest of the aircraft will probably go to the Navy as trainers, TC-21s and fly out of Randolph and Pensacola.

All of this will happen

by the close out of FY06.

Well, I think we all expected the schoolhouse to move back to Scott after the Katrina schwacking. In the budget justification text, it said that there was less need for pilot seasoning due to drawdowns. Maybe our OSA fleet will be more like other services and be more old guys (yes please).

So SNAPs, take a C-21 while the gettin's still good.

Guest C-21 Pilot

M2,

We have seen a steady "redux" of folks coming into the C-21 (vs. those coming in). Natural regression at it's best.

Expect folks w/ less than 2 years flying to stay in the plane, more, and your on the way out.

With the C-17 getting rid of the ACIQ program at Altus, I'd say that AMC really doesn't care what product is getting pushed initially through ("seasoned vs non-seasoned").

In the states, commercial air traffic will get more use from 0-6 and below. Expect the Generals to get priority based upon rank and mission priority. I don't know this answer 100%...

The C-9 won't be used anymore when the C-21 leaves - for several reasons. Cost effeciency, pax load vs. pax manifesting, number in inventory, etc.

I think the hugest hurdle will be OCONUS (here at Ramstein, and at Yokota) where commercial air flow can really get you nowhere fast. Airports sometimes 200 miles from base of intended landing, military clearances, Olive Harvest missions, etc...OUCH!

Guest Hydro130

True,

States is one thing, but Ramstein and Yokota are a whole 'nother ball of wax in terms of DV transport.

Cheers to The Lear, Hydro

Guest Akorboy

Yet another good deal getting scrapped, oh well, the C-21 was fun while it lasted. I mean as long as getting rid of them pays for the tire on one F-22 that's really all that matters right?!

I saw the same numbers from some of our maintainers except Scott went to 10 airplanes from 14. They were showing the drawdown for the 4th Quarter of 2006 (July, yikes). I am curious how it is all going to work out since I have a little over 1.5 years in the jet. Last month at Refresher it was surprise to the Rammstein guys in our class. Looks like my squadron is going back to a flight...

wacky

Originally posted by mmkk111:

C21 Cowboy-

Are you for real? They're going to let us get above 28,000! Yeah....no more T-Storms

MK

Thats fo shizzle on the RVSM mod...and I was just starting to enjoy saying 'negative RVSM' with every freq change above 280!

Originally posted by wacky:

I saw the same numbers from some of our maintainers except Scott went to 10 airplanes from 14. They were showing the drawdown for the 4th Quarter of 2006 (July, yikes). I am curious how it is all going to work out since I have a little over 1.5 years in the jet. Last month at Refresher it was surprise to the Rammstein guys in our class. Looks like my squadron is going back to a flight...

wacky

Why, b/c you have less aircraft? Try EIGHT!!!

Originally posted by JT:

For some reason, I don't think you'll get an answer to that. I'm sure the "need to know" applies here.

Not really. It is widely known that C21s are for DV transport...which obviously means ranks O-6 through O-10, and your civilian equivelents. It's not a huge secret!

Guest Navtastic
Originally posted by pbar:

We heard today that the AF is seriously considering moving 20 or so C-21s to Randolph to replace the T-43 for navigation training.

I'd like to see them squeeze all the crap they need for nav training into a C-21. Horse puckey.