DFW National Cemetery Flyover Coord Assistance

Long shot, but I know there are experts here who might be able to help. 

BLUF: Long-time A-10 leader passed away this week, and is being interred at DFW National Cemetery next week. We're looking to see if we can get a 4 Ship flyover but have no idea where to start with the airspace. That cemetery is 10nm SE of the eastern runway at DFW, so airspace should be simple. Right? 

Coord through official USAF channels to approve it is underway, but would like to know if anyone has any words on where to go otherwise; ATC POCs to coord and/or approve, or even just to find out if there's no way to proceed. They've done Memorial Day flyovers there, but I'm sure they have plenty of time to coord in advance for something like that whereas we have a week. Any point-outs are greatly appreciated, even if it's to show that it's unpossible so we can plan for an alternative COA here at Moody.  Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Zero

• Like 1

It's got to be doable.  I've done flybys at Texas Motor Speedway which sits very close to the final approach course of Runway 13R at DFW.  We had to fly a dogleg run-in to avoid it.  I didn't do the coordination so not sure how that happens.  I'd call DFW TRACON and see if they've got info.  The Reserve guys at the 301st FW at Fort Worth JRB might have input for you.

Link to phone numbers.

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flight_info/aeronav/acf/media/Presentations/19-02-RD309-CLNC_DEL_phone_numbers-VWatson.pdf

Edited by TreeA10

Baseops never disappoints... thanks all-- got in touch with the right people. Now for the seventh consecutive miracle... and that is to get maintenance to pony up some jets. 

The biggest hurdle is the USAF coord. If not done yet, have the family call Dover AFB Mortuary Affairs (in Delaware)  

Option2

24/7 number:

• Upvote 1

We started tackling that piece right away— and you’re right, the USAF hurdle is the biggest. Whereas our own service puts all kinds of red tape around it, the first thing the guys at DFW said to me was “We do this all the time— we’ll get you everything you need to make this happen.” Can’t say the same for Big Blue, but they did say that it should be streamlined since we already have the jets lined up insofar as a unit that wants to do the flyover. 

• Like 1

On 3/15/2024 at 8:36 AM, Zero said:

Long shot, but I know there are experts here who might be able to help. 

BLUF: Long-time A-10 leader passed away this week, and is being interred at DFW National Cemetery next week. We're looking to see if we can get a 4 Ship flyover but have no idea where to start with the airspace. That cemetery is 10nm SE of the eastern runway at DFW, so airspace should be simple. Right? 

Coord through official USAF channels to approve it is underway, but would like to know if anyone has any words on where to go otherwise; ATC POCs to coord and/or approve, or even just to find out if there's no way to proceed. They've done Memorial Day flyovers there, but I'm sure they have plenty of time to coord in advance for something like that whereas we have a week. Any point-outs are greatly appreciated, even if it's to show that it's unpossible so we can plan for an alternative COA here at Moody.  Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Zero

Really hope it works out for you Zero.  I did exactly what you are doing 45 years ago when I led a 4-ship of Phantoms over Dallas for a passing F-4 driver.  Can't believe we pulled it off w/#3 going missing man but had to severely limit how high he could climb.  We had one radio in the plane and a guy on the ground with a portable.  It was a goat-rope but oh so satisfying if you can make it work.  Sorry I can't add any usable advice but wish you much luck.

Edited by Springer
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Appreciate the words Springer-- definitely a ton of work, most of it dealing with USAF bureaucracy, but totally worth it to honor an warrior's legacy. We've got at least two jets now, hoping for two more ponied up soon to round out a four-ship. DFW ATC has been amazing-- said we could get a few thousand feet for the pull up-- for a Hog, that's all we'll need. We make the run right across the southern approach / departure corridor into DFW, which should be interesting to say the least but those guys have been unbelievably helpful so far. 

If we can get a tanker to help us out with a pre and post TOT topoff, that would be greatly appreciated and thanked with the appropriate gift of some fine adult beverages delivered to the crews. You know, for the effort. It's a Friday afternoon flight, so we'd take that into consideration in the selection of fine beverages to say thanks with. 

Edited by Zero
Added info on the flyover
  • Upvote 2