Finding A New Unit

My current unit is starting to be a tough situation for my family life and civilian job. My commander has given me the option to either stay or go. If I do leave, he said they will help me find a new flying unit.

As a reservist, what happens in the meantime during the process of looking for a new unit? Does the old unit usually keep you on a TR status? Can I switch airframes or do most units prefer you stick with the same MDS? 

Don’t have a break in service. If you’re moving immediately, then at least maintain TR status, even though that’ll include travel for you. Work with your current CC to only come every other month and combine RUTAs to make up a full work week, etc. The easiest transition is obviously to a same-aircraft unit, but you certainly could find another unit who will TX you. Worst case, you can find a points-only job in the new location to avoid break in service, but probably undesirable to stop flying, even if temporarily. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Rated Flyer 4 Life said:

My current unit is starting to be a tough situation for my family life and civilian job. My commander has given me the option to either stay or go. If I do leave, he said they will help me find a new flying unit.

As a reservist, what happens in the meantime during the process of looking for a new unit? Does the old unit usually keep you on a TR status? Can I switch airframes or do most units prefer you stick with the same MDS? 

I don’t really understand your question of the unit keeping you on TR status while you’re “looking” for a new unit? 

just go look for a new unit, when you find one that wants to hire you you’ll sign a form called a 1288 (I think that’s the form) and that’s a conditional release. Basically it says you’re leaving one unit for another you’re not leaving the service. 

I don’t know how the reserves do things, I’ve heard AFRC bros say everything from “it’s a better deal then the guard” all the way to people saying weird things like they’re not allowed to live outside of a certain radius of there reserve squadron, so naturally, YMMV. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Props said:

I don’t really understand your question of the unit keeping you on TR status while you’re “looking” for a new unit? 

As you shouldn't. Because the question is moot. The implication behind the wording is he thinks they're going to give him a "sabbatical" from having to man up and schlep his Burger King ass (oops, I misspelled airline pilot 😄 to the unit and meet status quo participation/IMR requirements, just because he declared an intention to transfer. Straight out of the Michael Scott playbook.

The Office Steve Carell GIF - The Office Steve Carell I Declare Bankruptcy GIFs

The answer should go without saying, but I guess I'm old now and it needs spelled out: That's not how it works, that's not how any of this works.

@brabusalready covered the flybys. The manner in which individual units deal with a member wishing to 1288, ranges all the colors of the spectrum. The usual one, if the "commute" is the hardship, is to do the mark-to-market accounting shtick, and look at quarterly or semi-annual participation, instead of monthly. Make an ETP to allow the member in question cover the equivalent pro-rata participation on a front-loaded basis, as opposed to straight-even throughout the fiscal. Other versions, such as trip bundling (common in my AETC-TFI corner of the ARC world) is also a common way to minimize the travel for the commuting TR. Too many variables to give a unit-specific answer.

Kids these fvcking days.... 😄 

Edited by hindsight2020
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Rated Liar for Life is at it again…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 11/30/2023 at 4:47 PM, Rated Flyer 4 Life said:

How long have you been back at your unit?

Lost in all the regAF land grabs and the ARC’s acquiescence is the basic concept of the reserve: you are a free citizen, regardless of the threats otherwise. OTOH, ARC is also free to kick yo shiz to Denver.

I have observed that (in the ARC) corporate knowledge of the basic ARC mechanisms for dealing with wayward members has been forgotten in various tribes.  

On 12/1/2023 at 8:22 PM, hindsight2020 said:

As you shouldn't. Because the question is moot. The implication behind the wording is he thinks they're going to give him a "sabbatical" from having to man up and schlep his Burger King ass (oops, I misspelled airline pilot 😄 ) to the unit and meet status quo participation/IMR requirements, just because he declared an intention to transfer. Straight out of the Michael Scott playbook.

little shit.webp

On 12/1/2023 at 8:22 PM, hindsight2020 said:

The answer should go without saying, but I guess I'm old now and it needs spelled out: That's not how it works, that's not how any of this works.

This!  I was all about helping someone move on, I'd make phone calls, write recs and happily help you on your way.  However, you're still gonna have to keep pulling your weight until you 1288 yourself off my books.  

Edited by SocialD
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 4 months later...