USAFA Pilot Slots

My boy wants to be a pilot (god help me), and trying to get some current information but I am obviously MANY years removed from the process.  He has the grades and other resume items and we have been told he will likely get a nom to USAFA next year, obviously still has to be selected.  He has a lot of schools chasing him including two Ivy league schools (MIT and Brown), which is where I would prefer he go but I don't want to selfish and want him to have the best chance at achieving his dream.

I did ROTC and was the only dude in my class that got a UPT slot, the year prior they had six fall out slots and were literally walking down the hall asking the seniors if anyone wanted to go to UPT...probably a bad method as only one of the six graduated and got his wings.  Looking at all the threads here I am tracking on the board process and items that will increase his score and chances.  He is getting his PPL this summer at 16 and I will make sure he builds plenty of hours should he go to a University.

Do USAFA grads compete at the Pilot selection boards?  I ask because in the old days everyone who was medically qualified and graduated from USAFA went to UPT, is that still the case or does it change year to year.  I recall two girls showing up for UPT a few months after I started, both were USAFA grads and were FORCED to got to UPT, they both SIE's after a month.  I also know of a high profile USAFA athlete that had to go see the three star to plead his case NOT to go to UPT. 

Appreciate any info so I can help him make the best choice.

Well as an MIT dude I feel obliged to say it’s not Ivy League 😂

But besides being “that guy”, I cannot recommend it enough. I went as a prior E and there was a couple other folks I met there who were prior E. Every dude/girl who was in ROTC that wanted Pilot got it. It was filled with so many folks who have no interest in going Pilot. 

Now I’m still just a lowly dumb wrench bender so I can’t speak to how the USAFA opens leadership doors in the AF but I can vouch that MIT opens so many doors in every other place. It is an unbelievable place that puts you on the leading edge of so many exciting opportunities. 

But I wouldn’t recommend MIT as just a stepping stone, It’s a tool for passionate people not just a piece of paper.

edit: guess just to sum it up, if he goes to MIT and meets the grades he will get pilot for sure. Unless the world falls apart of course. And I just realized my data is like 5 years old but I’m confident it still holds true today.

Edited by jonlbs
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, jonlbs said:

Well as an MIT dude... 😂I’m still just a lowly dumb wrench bender.

For the dumb wrench benders out there, MIT stands for Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Not, Maintenance Intelligence Training.  

• Haha 2

It is all luck and timing for the number of pilot slots.  In 95/96 the USAFA grads were competing with each other for a limited number, i think around 300ish.  By the time I graduated, we had more slots than medically qualified.  The USAFA grads go by class ranking for the slots, if it needs to be competitive.  

Edited by NKAWTG
spelling bad

Have you talked to him about Guard/Reserves? I'm a guard hire who was in a UPT class with 7 Acadamy guys/gals who wish they had looked into it. Not saying the Acadamy isn't a prestigious institution, but most I know who are stuck in active duty can't wait for their 10 to be up. Obviously the secret is out and there are tons of applicants per unit, but still get a choice of aircraft/location, and get that line # after the mest orders are up. Also, having a real college experience versus having dorm inspections in your blues every friday is a lot more appealing. Totally not biased....

5 hours ago, jonlbs said:

Now I’m still just a lowly dumb wrench bender so I can’t speak to how the USAFA opens leadership doors in the AF but I can vouch that MIT opens so many doors in every other place. It is an unbelievable place that puts you on the leading edge of so many exciting opportunities.

I think the age of the ring knockers is mostly dead...diminished for sure.

5 hours ago, jonlbs said:

But I wouldn’t recommend MIT as just a stepping stone, It’s a tool for passionate people not just a piece of paper.

I think I view it more as a stepping stone, he thinks the things they do are cool and he is flattered they reached out to him.  He is a good athlete but is a nerd at heart.  He was selected for the Experimental Science Robotics Team which placed second in the nation last year.  FWIW I view MIT (and Stanford), as better than Ivy in the science and engineering world and I think most others do as well.  Interestingly he got an email from Dartmouth today.

• Like 1

I’d strongly encourage MIT/Brown/Dartmouth, he can always find his way back to the Air Force if it’s something he really wants in his life. I know lots of Academy nerds (and I went to UPT with @elvis) and the honest-to-God truth is the majority of the Academy grads I talk to don’t speak particularly favorable about their time there. Maybe it’s bias, but I’ve heard lots of “I didn’t enjoy it but it’s a nice place to be a graduate of”, some “If I could go back I would go somewhere else”, and a few “I needed the discipline but other that that..pass” but I can’t recall if I’ve ever heard anyone be purely positive about it. 

I’m an off the street guy and I think some of the USAFA story sounds kinda cool, but I look around and realize that even if I could go back in time I wouldn’t even consider going. Thankful others are willing to though, nothing but respect 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ClearedHot said:

I think the age of the ring knockers is mostly dead...diminished for sure.

I think I view it more as a stepping stone, he thinks the things they do are cool and he is flattered they reached out to him.  He is a good athlete but is a nerd at heart.  He was selected for the Experimental Science Robotics Team which placed second in the nation last year.  FWIW I view MIT (and Stanford), as better than Ivy in the science and engineering world and I think most others do as well.  Interestingly he got an email from Dartmouth today.

If you're still in NWF and he's into robotics, I'd recommend touching base with the good folks at IHMC in P-cola.  They have a few internship opportunities for high schoolers that would help smooth his path.  Also, they're an amazing group of nerds to work with and have an awesome lab.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Graduated from the zoo in 23' with a pilot slot.

Receiving a pilot slot at the Academy depends on two factors, your OPA and your PCSM. OPA is 50% and PCSM is 50% of your pilot selection process.

OPA are your compiled scores of being a cadet. OPA has three factors (50% GPA, 35% MPA, and 15% PEA) GPA are academics which is self explanatory. MPA is military performance average which heavily reflects your leadership skills in your cadet squadron and leadership quizzes you take. PEA is your fitness tests. OPA will be used to show your class ranking (e.g. 1 out of 1023 or 1000 out of 1023).

PCSM are compiled by your (50% AFOQT, 35% TBAS, and 15% Flight hours). With a maximum point as 99. I believe the minimum PCSM is 30.

Medical: You need to pass ALL of these. If not you MUST receive a waiver. Most do NOT get waivers.

Summary: I was around the top 3rd of my class and had a PCSM around low 90's. I know many people who were on the other spectrum (bottom 10% and 30's PCSM) who received a pilot slot no problem. My experience at USAFA showed me that it is still the BEST way to receive a pilot slot. But you need to hit certain minimums. 

• BE MEDICALLY QUALIFIED
  • Aim to be middle of your class
  • Gain a PCSM that's above minimum

If you do that 99% you will get a pilot slot.

• Upvote 1