Maui and the ANG

JBueno

I hope so but where the fires are (at least the really devastating ones near Lahaina) is on the opposite side of the island from Kahului and the private airfield near Kahana I doubt could handle anything substantial. The roads getting there are narrow too but having said all of that, I seriously hope there is some major help headed that way. It’s hard to believe the damage.

Is Hawaii using the ANG out there to haul people or aid? It seems like they have a refugee and recovery situation on their hands but pictures don’t show much iron.
Anyone in the islands hearing any scuttlebutt?

The ARNG and ANG are involved. But there isn’t a lack of commercial airlift to Maui.

I live in Oahu and the national guard is involved. plenty enlisted folks down there are scavenging what they can and trying to find people in need of help. As of right now, I think all the fires have been alleviated and extinguished. My uncle works in the coast guard and he said that there are some volunteer opportunities, so ig the coast guard is getting involved too. A LOT of people lost their homes and are getting shuttled by major airlines (Hawaiian airlines) to Oahu. Anecdotally, I believe they are staying hotels. Very sad news for us indigenous people, I hope everything works out.

Is Hawaii using the ANG out there to haul people or aid? It seems like they have a refugee and recovery situation on their hands but pictures don’t show much iron.
Anyone in the islands hearing any scuttlebutt?

25th CAB had to fight to get what paltry contribution they ended up with into the ordeal.

Hawaii after action should be interesting if they ever make the chains of communication public because heads will roll. You had an entire Army CAB at the behests of the division commander literally lay it all at the disposal to the mission and they finally asked for a couple helicopters to pull Bambi bucket missions.

People in state leadership potions should be fired.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lawman said:

25th CAB had to fight to get what paltry contribution they ended up with into the ordeal.

Hawaii after action should be interesting if they ever make the chains of communication public because heads will roll. You had an entire Army CAB at the behests of the division commander literally lay it all at the disposal to the mission and they finally asked for a couple helicopters to pull Bambi bucket missions.

People in state leadership potions should be fired.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wait…so you’re telling me that the government “leaders” messed up?  Never could have guessed that.  As for people getting fired…are you serious Clark?

Wait…so you’re telling me that the government “leaders” messed up?  Never could have guessed that.  As for people getting fired…are you serious Clark?

It’s not so much government as bureaucracies interwoven paths of authorizations when the current environment is outside the status quo. The military exists to accomplish mission as a challenge. Regular government exists to accomplish day to day normality. Somewhere in the middle of that is these shit shows we keep dealing with.

At the operator level of incident everybody is ready, because verbal orders can get stuff done. Step up to a HADR and suddenly as somebody else alluded to, letter agencies and people in positions which hold titles have to be involved so they can be seen as orchestrating the events.

What we don’t ever see is those same orchestrating asshats involved when things go south. This being a great example of a whole lot of people at the O5 and below level told to sit on their thumbs to keep them warm, but a state government woefully out of its depth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s not so much government as bureaucracies interwoven paths of authorizations when the current environment is outside the status quo. The military exists to accomplish mission as a challenge. Regular government exists to accomplish day to day normality. Somewhere in the middle of that is these shit shows we keep dealing with.

At the operator level of incident everybody is ready, because verbal orders can get stuff done. Step up to a HADR and suddenly as somebody else alluded to, letter agencies and people in positions which hold titles have to be involved so they can be seen as orchestrating the events.

What we don’t ever see is those same orchestrating asshats involved when things go south. This being a great example of a whole lot of people at the O5 and below level told to sit on their thumbs to keep them warm, but a state government woefully out of its depth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In Hawaii, the counties play an oversized role in disaster response. I can’t speak to this incident, but in previous disasters, State and Federal DoD assets were ready to roll, but their offer for assistance went unanswered or declined.