Tinker AFB Witch Hunt

ClearedHot

3 hours ago, SocialD said:

Oh man, you guys are bringing up some memories.  PACOM TSP20ican'tremember.  AF couldn't decide where to put us for our TSP and a last minute change meant we were headed to Guam.  No availability on-base for an entire Expeditionary Fighter Squadron so we ended up at the Hyatt Regency, directly across the road Porky's/The Viking.  $3.50/day bs is for chumps!  Every single Friday was 8-ship quick climbs (became a base event with nice crowds by the end) to either fly BFM, ACM or DCA.  Beer light on at 1100 for a quick academic session and off to the base golf course at noon.  Drunken golf till sun down...lots of damaged golf carts, sand traps and trees, I'm really not sure how we never got kicked off that golf course.  Push downtown for standard buffonery to shut down the after hours bars. Tiptoeing out of hotel rooms I shouldn't have been in, pass out with the balcony door open listening to the waves crash into shore.  Wake up to scuba/snorkel/hike, beach bar, rinse and repeat the previous night...for 4 fucking months!  Checked out as best friends with the hotel manager/staff, 200k points, Hyatt Platinum status and a severely damaged liver.  It was certainly one for the ages!

Standard AF act, our AOS tankers kept getting taken for "HHQ tasking," so we kept getting delayed.  As much fun as we were having, it was time to go.  So Guard standard, we reached out to the bro network and made it happen internally.  The tanker unit from our state was in town and had a two tankers headed home at the same time.  Since a lot of us are college buddies, a plan was hashed out, likely while having drinks at the beach bar on Gunn beach.  They worked their network for us and found a Fairchild Guard tanker to get the last 4-ship home a few days later.  First 8 jets made it home without a hitch.  My 4-ship left a few days later and ended up stuck in Hawaii for days waiting for that tanker to get fixed.  They took as as far as they could (around Durango) before they had to head home, which meant a night in Denver for the night (more Hyatt points)...but thanks to that crew, great dudes!  Apparently we ruffled quite a few feathers up at ACC or AOS for making it happen, but fuck'em, tankers were headed East anyway and we likely save the AF tons of cash/headache.  Some people just get pissed when you do their job better than them.  I know, I know, "we don't see the big picture..."   Good times.

Flexibility is the key to Air Power!  - day one OTS lol

Fuck yeah man.  Guam!!!!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, artvandelay43201 said:

I believe around 10 are depot employees who tend to be fairly older than the military personnel. 

Yeah, have seen a lot of the same data on the recent numbers but need some earlier numbers to base it off of.  If it was all active duty it would be a lot different.  

7 hours ago, RASH said:

No. People are people.

Sent from my iPad using Baseops Network mobile app

No.  No they aren't.  Not when it comes to deaths.  If 17 active duty folk were dropping of 'natural causes' then we'd have a big issue going on.  The average Airman's age is something like 29 years old.  I would imagine the average depot workers age is just a tad higher....

Its covid lol

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/13/2023 at 7:43 AM, SocialD said:

Oh man, you guys are bringing up some memories.  PACOM TSP20ican'tremember.  AF couldn't decide where to put us for our TSP and a last minute change meant we were headed to Guam.  No availability on-base for an entire Expeditionary Fighter Squadron so we ended up at the Hyatt Regency, directly across the road Porky's/The Viking.  $3.50/day bs is for chumps!  Every single Friday was 8-ship quick climbs (became a base event with nice crowds by the end) to either fly BFM, ACM or DCA.  Beer light on at 1100 for a quick academic session and off to the base golf course at noon.  Drunken golf till sun down...lots of damaged golf carts, sand traps and trees, I'm really not sure how we never got kicked off that golf course.  Push downtown for standard buffonery to shut down the after hours bars. Tiptoeing out of hotel rooms I shouldn't have been in, pass out with the balcony door open listening to the waves crash into shore.  Wake up to scuba/snorkel/hike, beach bar, rinse and repeat the previous night...for 4 fucking months!  Checked out as best friends with the hotel manager/staff, 200k points, Hyatt Platinum status and a severely damaged liver.  It was certainly one for the ages!

Standard AF act, our AOS tankers kept getting taken for "HHQ tasking," so we kept getting delayed.  As much fun as we were having, it was time to go.  So Guard standard, we reached out to the bro network and made it happen internally.  The tanker unit from our state was in town and had a two tankers headed home at the same time.  Since a lot of us are college buddies, a plan was hashed out, likely while having drinks at the beach bar on Gunn beach.  They worked their network for us and found a Fairchild Guard tanker to get the last 4-ship home a few days later.  First 8 jets made it home without a hitch.  My 4-ship left a few days later and ended up stuck in Hawaii for days waiting for that tanker to get fixed.  They took as as far as they could (around Durango) before they had to head home, which meant a night in Denver for the night (more Hyatt points)...but thanks to that crew, great dudes!  Apparently we ruffled quite a few feathers up at ACC or AOS for making it happen, but fuck'em, tankers were headed East anyway and we likely save the AF tons of cash/headache.  Some people just get pissed when you do their job better than them.  I know, I know, "we don't see the big picture..."   Good times.

On 8/13/2023 at 11:36 AM, Biff_T said:

Flexibility is the key to Air Power!  - day one OTS lol

Fuck yeah man.  Guam!!!!

Problem is more than a few tails end up there (and other salty environments) for extended periods under questionable write-ups (shocking I know) and the salt air is eating airframes and engines to the bone. I've seen it. 

46 minutes ago, fire4effect said:

Problem is more than a few tails end up there (and other salty environments) for extended periods under questionable write-ups (shocking I know) and the salt air is eating airframes and engines to the bone. I've seen it

They used to have a B-52D on static display, reserve CLSS squadrons used to do their 2-week summer vacation just to keep it up. Those Squadrons were deactivated, and it corroded to crap and became a hazard, and was scrapped. All the aircraft like E-3's, KC-135's and F-15's that PACAF had possession of had major corrosion issues and stayed PDM longer.

• Upvote 1