Tablets and Functionality

GlassEmpty

I've been contemplating a Galaxy tablet to replace a laptop but still need basic work functions for EPR/OPR and Lotus form. I currently use a Mac but having both Windows and Macs OS bogs down the system and the laptop is due for an upgrade anyway. Has anyone tried Lotus Forms on a Galaxy Tablet? Are the Bluetooth keyboards worth while in making this a laptop replacement? Or am I just wishing at this point?

I'm tired of forking cash over to apple, but windows is horrible IMHO. As far as work goes, I don't think I have an option to avoid windows anymore unless something like this could work. Any input?

I've been contemplating a Galaxy tablet to replace a laptop but still need basic work functions for EPR/OPR and Lotus form. I currently use a Mac but having both Windows and Macs OS bogs down the system and the laptop is due for an upgrade anyway. Has anyone tried Lotus Forms on a Galaxy Tablet? Are the Bluetooth keyboards worth while in making this a laptop replacement? Or am I just wishing at this point?

I'm tired of forking cash over to apple, but windows is horrible IMHO. As far as work goes, I don't think I have an option to avoid windows anymore unless something like this could work. Any input?

Lotus? Are you talking about the car? It is IBM Forms Viewer 4.0.0.3 now. Keep up.

lotus-elise-2013-6.jpg

I second time hatred for lotus. Gear, I have an 09 macbook and shes slowing down. The repairs for some of the hardware are almost worth replacing the unit. I know I can get the hup and office but I can't update the os anymore without hardware upgrades. Its just hard to pull the trigger on a new macbook or an air. I'm headed to OTS next month and looking for a fix before I head out. Im starting to really loathe apple for there prices and the formatting between Mac and windows is always a PITA.

I guess I'm looking to see what people have recently purchased and whats working for them.

Lotus? Are you talking about the car? It is IBM Forms Viewer 4.0.0.3 now. Keep up.

lotus-elise-2013-6.jpg

My apologies, I'll lock it up Butters. And once I get my O/E pay I'll be looking at those forms of Lotus as well.

Before you buy a new computer, make sure that your current computer has the maximum RAM possible--this makes a huge difference and it's easy to swap. Amazon, Other World Computing, and newegg are good places to buy memory. You can confirm if your computer needs more RAM by checking the Activity Monitor on your Mac.

Bought my MacBook Pro and iPad on Amazon used. Both were about 4-6 months old and had 2-3 years of AppleCare ($250ish value) remaining. Both were about 30% cheaper than they would have been new.

If you can find one with AppleCare, it's pretty much risk free. Ive owned 3 PCs and will never, ever buy a Windows product again.

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

MacBook Air and the $9.99 version of Office from the Home Use Program and I have yet to find another device I'd swap it with.

This. I hate Windows with a passion and I legitimately like Mac OS...using the HUP is perfect for all the "official" work I need to do. There's also plenty of free programs to run Windows files (Winebottler for example) or you can just partition your Hd and run Windows if you really can't stand not having it. But the Air is the best computer I've ever owned by far, not to mention weight and size is great for taking it wherever I need to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's not a bad price considering apple's usual high prices.

Question - are guys able to get their CAC readers to work in the Mac? I know in the past, guys in the squadron were unable to use it. Not that I would want to do work from home, but I am not a total regular at the base.

Also, what is the latest with running Windows? A while back, parallels seemed to be a pretty good option, but it had a bunch of quirks. Is the mac/windows dual system pretty solid these days?

As you can tell, I have been wanting to take the plunge for years based on what I have heard about Macs, but have not quite had the nuts big enough to pay 3 times what I paid for my current laptop in order to get into a Mac.

I run windows, mac and linux at home. You know.. because.

Win7 is a great OS. It's everything Vista should have been. Win8 is awful, don't get it. Though, if it's on a laptop with a multi-touch pad your experience should be better.

I'm rocking a 08 Macbook Pro still and as much as I want to get away from the brand, the build quality and care is unparalleled. I can't tell you have many times it's been dropped and not had an issue. AppleCare is a must, so factor that into the price.

IF you want to do work at home get something with Windows. There are sometimes formatting issues between the different versions of Office. Rare, but highly annoying.

Last I read getting the CAC reader to work with OSX was still a dirty hack.

Also, someone else mentioned max out your ram. Yes.. do this. Also, here's a link to loading a SSD into your system for faster HD access -

http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/macbookpro_15_unibody_hd_h/

Don't get a tablet for anything official. I'm a nerd and I've tried to work it into official use, and it just doesn't work. Takes too long to write stuff, hard to balance and use a keyboard with, etc.

Consensus says macbook pro or air. I'm actually a bit surprised to see no love for a tablet at all. As far as UPT, since it's still paper pubs (as far as I know) I'm curious if a tablet would even be worth it? Im over the one trick pony iPad but the galaxy tablets look legit. Either way, off to the apple store or checking online for refurbs and used.

Anyone have any good links for the HUP for Microsoft Office?

I've got a galaxy tab 2. It's a nice little toy, but that's about it. I hate reading on it for extended periods of time and it's just a bit to heavy/sized to hold like a book. I thought I was going to use it for class, but I can't look up references and write on it at the same time. If you get one of the newer ones you can split the screen.. but that's it. There's no windows to move and all that.

I play games on it, and use it for church lessons.

My kindle paperwhite gets a lot of usage though. That thing rules for reading.

Question - are guys able to get their CAC readers to work in the Mac? I know in the past, guys in the squadron were unable to use it.

I've been using a CAC reader on my Mac for about 2 years with no issue and it was just as easy to setup as any windows computer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just FYI and will take some time but the AF is going away from Lotus forms and migrating to Adobe Forms

Halleluja! ...so, think there's any chance of a HUP for Acrobat around the corner?

Regarding the SSD, my 15 year old built a quad core running Win7 with a SSD for the OS and a 1T drive for everything else. Boots in 20 seconds.

Just swapped my stock 500G spinner for this. SSD speed (to a point), but at 1TB spin price. (Early 2011 15" MBP i7, 16Gb) :rock:

Question - are guys able to get their CAC readers to work in the Mac? I know in the past, guys in the squadron were unable to use it. Not that I would want to do work from home, but I am not a total regular at the base.

Also, what is the latest with running Windows? A while back, parallels seemed to be a pretty good option, but it had a bunch of quirks. Is the mac/windows dual system pretty solid these days?

CAC works fine for webmail in Safari, Chrome, and Firefox but you still can't read the emails that are "locked" Apparently its a Microsoft only thing. If any knows a work around please post it.

That is the only major issue I have with using it for work.

This had me up and running with my CAC reader of choice. So easy, even I made it work.

From there, yeah, basic accessibility isn't a problem through OSx. Once the emails go AF-secure, or I have to work with .xfdl, then it's over to the Bootcamp side :banghead: , though I have a copy of Parallels 10 in the mail next week, so we'll see how that works.

Edited by BFM this

For the Adobe HUP, I haven't found a USAF HUP for it, but they offer a pretty legit student discount (for all of you working on your masters). You can get the entire creative cloud suite (Acrobat Pro, Photoshop, premiere pro, dreamweaver, after effects, lightroom, illustrator, the list goes on) for $20 a month.