Holster Requirements in OEF

outbreak

I'm deploying in a few months for the first time in about 3 years. It's a non-flying gig.

For some background, I'm the "gun guy." I have my own preferences on holsters that I've come to by trial and error. My last rote had me flying, wearing a bag, and a shoulder holster was the best option, for me.

Now, we're all in OCP's, So a belt holster seems an easier and better option. I haven't been able to find an OI or AFI that dictates what kind of holster may be used for an M9 at the big OEF bases.

What I need to know is requirements on position, material, retention, as well as magazine carriers.

The easiest way is if someone can point me to the written regs on the subject. Otherwise, whatever keeps the E-9's off my ass.

I'm deploying in a few months for the first time in about 3 years. It's a non-flying gig.

For some background, I'm the "gun guy." I have my own preferences on holsters that I've come to by trial and error. My last rote had me flying, wearing a bag, and a shoulder holster was the best option, for me.

Now, we're all in OCP's, So a belt holster seems an easier and better option. I haven't been able to find an OI or AFI that dictates what kind of holster may be used for an M9 at the big OEF bases.

What I need to know is requirements on position, material, retention, as well as magazine carriers.

The easiest way is if someone can point me to the written regs on the subject. Otherwise, whatever keeps the E-9's off my ass.

By the absolute book, the only authorized holster is the holster you qualify with. That being said, its literally the wild west when it comes to "in theatre". Have seen it all when it comes to holsters. Don't worry about it.

• Upvote 1

Wild West about sums it up. Lots of Blackhawk Serpas. The STRIKE/QD adapter is pretty handy, too. Leave the adapter attached to your vest - you'll get plenty of use out of it.

The only thing I saw anyone get harassed for was not having a vertical holster. Keep the muzzle at the ground and nobody seemed to care. (Of course nevermind all those guys with the thigh rigs sitting in chairs. It has to be a VERTICAL holster!)

Edited by nunya

The only thing I saw anyone get harassed for was not having a vertical holster. Keep the muzzle at the ground and nobody seemed to care. (Of course nevermind all those guys with the thigh rigs sitting in chairs. It has to be a VERTICAL holster!)

This goes back to the original question. Where is this requirement for a vertical holster written? I have always been told this, but until somebody can show me where that is written, it's just a rumor, not a requirement.

I don't know the origin, but it's more than a rumor. This from way back in 08:

SHOULDER HOLSTERS

Per CJTF-101, shoulder holsters in which the muzzle of the weapon points upward or toward the rear are not authorized. If the holster is modified so that the muzzle points down, it may be used.

I guess if that's a fight you want to pick, rock your horizontal shoulder holster. My goal there is/was anonymity.

Edited by nunya

I tried some different stuff (belt, drop, shoulder) and I ended up with the horizontal Galco Miami classic shoulder holster. You can get it configured for horizontal or vertical carry. I much preferred the horizontal carry but the E-9s will be all over you. I had to defend myself on numerous occasions by saying there was an exception for aircrew (the whole unique/different/special argument that most Chiefs prefer to walk away from but still ends up raising their blood pressure). Not sure that there is but it sounded good. Doesn't seem you have that option.

Edited by SVFR

Where is this requirement for a vertical holster written? I have always been told this, but until somebody can show me where that is written, it's just a rumor, not a requirement.

Even in the pre-9/11 USMC, vertical holsters (hip for SNCOs and Os, thigh for Ricky Recons, shoulder for aircrew) were required. Couldn't tell you where it was written, though, and it's probably been OBE numerous times anyway.

I'm not with an AF unit out here, but 90% of us wear hip holsters. If you're not a flyer and wear the shoulder holster, you'll get some weird looks because its kinda gay. But wear whatever holster you want, like Nunya mentioned above, there are every type of holster worn out here and its not a big deal.

I got this from the base deployment supply store: http://www.blackhawk.com/product/STRIKE-SERPA-Combo-Kit-Beretta-ONLY,84,1416.htm

It gives you shoulder, drop, belt, and MOLLE options. Just add the quick disconnect kit and you're set. I used the belt for walking around base and shoulder for flying (our old ass vests didn't have MOLLE loops). The best part with the QD set is that you can connect it at different angles, so if you get "corrected" that the muzzle must point in a certain direction, disconnect and adjust. The holster itself does a decent job of protecting the mag release helping prevent the the trouble and LOR for losing a mag.

Out