FY 14 Force Management Program (RIF, VSP, TERA)

AOF_ATC

http://www.af.mil/News/ArticleDisplay/tabid/223/Article/473377/af-announces-change-to-reduction-in-force-board-schedule.aspx

"Changes to the scheduled RIF board date will result in changes to the eligible population. Some officers initially eligible to meet the June board will no longer be eligible as adjustments are made to year groups. Likewise, some officers who were not initially RIF eligible could now be eligible."

Nice, another 12 months of uncertainty. This whole thing is dragging into 2015 and it will probably change a couple of more times along the way.

Per af.mil: "That article is missing"

Edited by Right Seat Driver

I'm still waiting too, Tonka. No idea how this will play out for us selectively continued guys, but I'm hoping I'm just the kinda dude they want. To get rid of, that is. I've never been so hopeful to be rejected from something.

How the hell are you reading my thoughts?

Article worked for me. It also mentioned Lt. Gen Sam Cox, so I googled him. Got this article: http://www.airforcetimes.com/article/20131231/NEWS/312310016/New-personnel-chief-Know-your-options-under-force-cuts

Checked his Bio, then checked the comments section for the above article. Tony Carr, whom I've been following after someone mentioned here on BO recently, had posted a comment:

Disconcerting. Everyone has been calling AFPC clowns out of frustration. But what's the real story? Perhaps Lt Gen Cox and others are as good as it gets, yet even they are unable to fix or improve the mess.

Too bad his RIF/VSP programs aren't as squared away as his custom tailored blues shirt and cufflinks. I didn't know that uniform modification was authorized.

On a more serious note, you've asked the million dollar question here. My guess is the answer is currently unpalatable to most people. We'll see how long that lasts...

Camera in your bathroom, how else?

Are you also still in the "FM-Hold Batch Processing" status? I thought you had mentioned previously you'd been denied. If that's not the case, I'm glad to hear it!

I'm actually not sure, my incidents page just says "updated" I called AFPC to ask what that actually meant and she said that retirements policy has my application...have no idea what that means either.

Too bad his RIF/VSP programs aren't as squared away as his custom tailored blues shirt and cufflinks. I didn't know that uniform modification was authorized.

On a more serious note, you've asked the million dollar question here. My guess is the answer is currently unpalatable to most people. We'll see how long that lasts...

4.12.1. "The shirt may be altered for a tapered fit."

4.12.2. "Cuff Links. Cuff links are optional with the long-sleeved shirt. They will either be silver, satin finish or highly polished with the "wing and star" design; silver, highly polished with the AF symbol; or plain silver, highly polished, commercial design with dimensions and shape similar to the “wing and star” cuff links."
And now you know...

Article worked for me. It also mentioned Lt. Gen Sam Cox, so I googled him. Got this article: http://www.airforcetimes.com/article/20131231/NEWS/312310016/New-personnel-chief-Know-your-options-under-force-cuts

Checked his Bio, then checked the comments section for the above article. Tony Carr, whom I've been following after someone mentioned here on BO recently, had posted a comment:

Disconcerting. Everyone has been calling AFPC clowns out of frustration. But what's the real story? Perhaps Lt Gen Cox and others are as good as it gets, yet even they are unable to fix or improve the mess.

I'm sorry, but AFPC is not splitting the atom. It's basic arithmetic. They have access to Excel spreadsheet technology. I really don't think it's much to expect of your leaders that they make a plan, tell everybody what the plan is going to be, and then, execute that plan.

From best to worst:

1. Right decision

2. Wrong decision

3. No decision

They've made no decision and thus, chaos.

Boys, let's be real... at any company, you'd never know how many of what flavor of person will get a pink slip when the company is short on operating funds unless you're management or HR. It's the clarity of our process that drives the frustration. It's not that we're fucked up... It's that we're openly fucked up.

• Upvote 1

And has anyone on line side that is on the VML and subject to RIF or force shaping gotten an assignment? In medical we've had some Capts on the VML get told they're staying here for a fifth year and their functional doesn't want to pay for any moves until they figure out who is staying in and who isn't.

And has anyone on line side that is on the VML and subject to RIF or force shaping gotten an assignment? In medical we've had some Capts on the VML get told they're staying here for a fifth year and their functional doesn't want to pay for any moves until they figure out who is staying in and who isn't.

Interesting. So if these FM programs run for concurrent years then I guess there won't be any PCSing for a while. Great if you're in LA or out east. Not so much if you got FAIPed in Del Rio...

Boys, let's be real... at any company, you'd never know how many of what flavor of person will get a pink slip when the company is short on operating funds unless you're management or HR. It's the clarity of our process that drives the frustration. It's not that we're ######ed up... It's that we're openly ######ed up.

I'm not reading many posts from people concerned about getting fired. It seems like people are more interested in how quickly they can get out. After more than a decade of doing more with less, increasing deployment lengths with decreasing dwell time, and the Air Force being run into the ground by incompetent leadership, we want out. I'm voting with my feet that if they want to have a war, they need to fund it and have victory conditions. And if they want to have an all-volunteer force, they need to treat people better.

• Upvote 1

I'm not reading many posts from people concerned about getting fired. It seems like people are more interested in how quickly they can get out. After more than a decade of doing more with less, increasing deployment lengths with decreasing dwell time, and the Air Force being run into the ground by incompetent leadership, we want out. I'm voting with my feet that if they want to have a war, they need to fund it and have victory conditions. And if they want to have an all-volunteer force, they need to treat people better.

Yeah...I'm not worried about getting fired. Frankly, I wish I was in a VSP-eligible AFSC.

Letting some folks out early and paying them is an interesting problem, but I don't really see it as a strategic issue. These folks are likely to punch at the end of their ADSC anyway. Why rated retention is low damn well should be solved, but I see that as separate than the execution of Force Shaping.

We're sending airplanes to the bone-yard and passing out pink slips simply because we're forced to keep a bloated infrastructure in place. In some cases, we're going to fire people with nearly a decade and a half worth of experience who want to keep serving and otherwise have good enough records to stay in... we ought to be very judicious about how we do that. The agitated pilot crowd may be more annoyed with VSP and TERA execution... but that's really small pebbles.

Yes. I'm a 12M core so one with a 75% overage listed. Got a RIP at the end of January. However, I do have a TPS grad RDTM, and they still haven't said which RDTM's will be eligible. My functional won't return my calls to answer the question. I was going to try to get my RNLTD pushed to after the results are released, but that obviously won't work now.

Nobody here at Beale has heard anything yet, Catbox. I'm steeling myself to wait until 1 April.

Yeah me too...god damn it.

In other news this came out FSS:

Important guidance regarding TERA (as I'm reading this, if you're twice passed over don't expect to be contined but you will be allowed to apply for retirement):

As outlined in the FY14 Force Management program, the Secretary of the Air Force has authorized Temporary Early Retirement Authority, or TERA, to those members eligible to apply. As the CY14 Promotion Board schedule begins, TERA will be available as a part of post-board actions. If a member is a two-time non-select for promotion, is not offered selective continuation,

and is TERA-eligible, they will be given the opportunity to apply for TERA after the public release of the promotion listing. Specific instructions will be included in their non-select letter. The Retirement Date associated with this targeted TERA window will be the mandatory DOS established by the board (1st day of the 7th month following approval of results by USD P&R).

• Upvote 1