FY 14 Force Management Program (RIF, VSP, TERA)

AOF_ATC

I went through it about 9 months ago. The email is a shot across the bow, not a tasking letter, so you should be OK to apply. If you want more info, PM me.

If you got the email, you need to get smart on the AFI concerning I-TDY's real quick and update your TDY history in vMPF. Now.

Applied. (had a couple minutes of really high blood pressure when I got the email on the 5th until I figured out it was NOT a tasker and I could still apply for VSP)

Duty history update done.

Just trying to figure out if there's anyway they can deny VSP if I'm tasked now.

Also, trying to figure out the odds of getting a 365 based on this from 13-130:

ï‚· On/After Official Public Announcement: PCS and ED selections will be considered and made on a case by case basis. RIF-eligible officers who are currently projected for an ED will be reviewed on a case by case basis for possible ED cancellation and replacement action.

Applied. (had a couple minutes of really high blood pressure when I got the email on the 5th until I figured out it was NOT a tasker and I could still apply for VSP)

Just trying to figure out if there's anyway they can deny VSP if I'm tasked now.

ï‚· On/After Official Public Announcement: PCS and ED selections will be considered and made on a case by case basis. RIF-eligible officers who are currently projected for an ED will be reviewed on a case by case basis for possible ED cancellation and replacement action.

Assuming two things: 1 - We're VSP eligible because we're RIF eligible. 2- The AF holds to "if you're denied a Voluntary Program, you're no longer RIF eligible".

If those turn out to be true, you're still on the hook for the 365 when your VSP gets denied, unless you apply for Palace Chase and that's denied too. With the sh*t show that is A1, and with a 365 waiting to drop, I'd plan for the worst with respect to VSP and get a strong backup plan. If you don't mind me asking, what's your Short Tour Return Date? AFPC is moving down the 365 list faster than 1:1, and I'm interested to see how far they've gone since I got notified.

Anybody know the official word on whether they will pay separation pay if you write a Do Not Retain Me letter to the RIF board?

AFI 36-3208 Administrative Separation of Airmen, Chapter 9 Separation Pay, Section 9.1.2

"9.1. General Procedures. All the basic criteria below defining eligibility for separation pay

must be met before a member is eligible for payment

9.1.2. The member must not separate at his/her own request"

It lists a ton of considerations of what it gives as "his/her own request" which aren't covered in a RIF, but writing a DNR letter is pretty much the above.

VVVVVVVVV well there ya have it folks.

Edited by xaarman

"The member is separated from active duty at the member's own request. The following are considered to be separations at the member's own request: A member declines training that the Military Service offers to qualify for a new skill or rating as a precondition to reenlistment or continuation on active duty; A member requests separation under regulations established by the Secretary of the Military Service concerned; a Reserve officer declines a Regular appointment at the mandatory integration point."

Ref: http://militarypay.defense.gov/Benefits/separation/

This is what I found that gave me a warm fuzzy about writing a "do not retain" me letter. You have to decline a training RIP or voluntarily apply for separation via the normal AFIs. IMHO A RIF board is considered "involuntary separation" even if you raise your hand and say you'd like to be RIFed. At this point, I'm seriously looking into the VSP because I have lost complete faith in the leadership of this organization.

I went through it about 9 months ago. The email is a shot across the bow, not a tasking letter, so you should be OK to apply. If you want more info, PM me.

If you got the email, you need to get smart on the AFI concerning I-TDY's real quick and update your TDY history in vMPF. Now.

Did you update the right thing? Duty history is relatively easy to update via vMPF, the TDY history is not. I don't see what your duty history is really going to do to alter a 365...your STRD however could be altered if past TDYs are not accounted for correctly.

Bendy

ETA: A contingency deployment listed as "Awaiting DFAS Input" = bad.

Edited by Bender

They just did this to the Civilians at my base. The sent email to everyone asking for volunteers for VERA/VSIP. After a day of

flight-line guys showing up with filled out applications. They sent another email saying only Admin types can apply.

Is this only for certain bases or majcoms? Haven't heard anything about it at my base-I have a GS that I would love to steer towards VERA.

Around the 18th of December I got the email asking for volunteers. It was part of the Air Force getting rid of 900 people by February 28th.

www.af.mil/News/ArticleDisplay/tabid/223/Article/467714/af-officials-announce-fy14-civilian-workforce-shaping.aspx

I went to the Edwards civilian personnel the next day. And it was only for admin types. No aircraft mechanics.

What the "member requests to separate" is referring to is like a 7 day opt. They send you a RIP, you say thanks for this amazing opportunity to retrain into something I hate but no thanks and then set a DOS. The issue with that is, if you have more than 2-3 years you have to, 2 for the PCS or 3 if its a new weapons system.

Now I did hear a rumor some guy on his letter to the board stated "I do not agree with the foreign policy of the US military" and he got RIF'd. I want a reserve job so I think I will just stick with the palace chase option is my VSP is denied. I just hope they hurry up and make a decision so I can pursue other options ASAP before the dreaded 365 comes down. You know AFPC is putting all our names on a list and saying, well he got denied VSP and he's not doing anything for the next 18 months, lets use every last bit of him before he pulls chocks.

And I am sorry but that video I posted couldnt have come at a more perfect time, it was just so fitting to everyone who applied on Thurs, I laughed my ass off. REFRESH, REFRESH, REFRESH

You fuckstains need to chill out, I was told by my CC while on AD no pilot, especially an 11F, was getting VSP. I got it, it was the end of my commitment, but still. If you want it, apply.

BTW, your separation date in vMPF will show up before the official email and CC notification.

Edited by matmacwc
  • Upvote 1

Did you update the right thing? Duty history is relatively easy to update via vMPF, the TDY history is not. I don't see what your duty history is really going to do to alter a 365...your STRD however could be altered if past TDYs are not accounted for correctly.

Bendy -

Thanks for lookin' out - I got the TDY duty updated, which bumped up my STRD. Local assignments section actually sat down and combed right through it with me sitting there. Be sure to take in copies of your voucher. You will need to manually copy the DOV Number for each voucher from the Digital Signature page in your DTS voucher, as it doesn't print on the traditional voucher form.

I was told straight up last night by my FLT/CC that taking the VSP "does not waive your pilot training commitment." I'm not sure if it's coming down the chain to tell everyone that, or what is going on. I was told that the AF would recoup that commitment in some way and possibly monetarily. It doesn't make sense to me that the AF would pay you to separate early then charge you for the commitment they let you out of. What happened to CSAF saying nobody would be subject to RIF without first having the option to voluntarily separate? When I pressed that point I was told I was absolutely still eligible to be RIFed.

I don't know what I believe anymore, other than the AF is plainly showing people why there are so many who want to jump off of this train wreck.

I was told straight up last night by my FLT/CC that taking the VSP "does not waive your pilot training commitment." I'm not sure if it's coming down the chain to tell everyone that, or what is going on. I was told that the AF would recoup that commitment in some way and possibly monetarily. It doesn't make sense to me that the AF would pay you to separate early then charge you for the commitment they let you out of. What happened to CSAF saying nobody would be subject to RIF without first having the option to voluntarily separate? When I pressed that point I was told I was absolutely still eligible to be RIFed.

I don't know what I believe anymore, other than the AF is plainly showing people why there are so many who want to jump off of this train wreck.

I'm not 100% sure that AFPC knows what's going on from A1 yet. I am sure our Wg and Sq CC's don't know what's going on. The chances your Flt/CC has it figured out are zero.

Edited by BamaC-21
  • Upvote 9

oh no, not your Flt/CC

• Upvote 6

There is not a recoupment for UPT ADSC option. It will not happen. The AF tried to do this to a Capt that was separating due to circumstances well within his control and the MAJCOM and above were trying to figure out a way to make him pay back 5-6 years of UPT ADSC. It didn't happen and was determined that it could not be done.

slow news day on the vsp front, may tomorrow bring us good news

I think the real questions will come when the first batch is announced. For instance, I think most of us have been told that the first batch is likely to close a month after the window opened. I'm guessing that when (if?) A1/AFPC looks at how many of us dropped an app in the first 6-9 minutes they may change the batch date from one month to 7 minutes. And I'll bet only a FOIA request would reveal it.