Tornado in OKC

afnav

I have a buddy living in OKC in a new home that does not have a basement. It seemed the same way in Altus too. Anyone have a reason why everyone doesn't have a basement in OK?

My sister lives in Lawton and I have built a few homes over the years. Two main reasons for the lack of basements:

1- The soil is high in clay

2- They have a high water table

Water isn't good for foundations alone, add clay to the mix (which absorbs water and expands) and you'll get basement walls with a lot of external pressure on them and water all around.

I like to think Vance is spared because of the Indian burial grounds it was built on, personally.

That and the fact that even tornadoes don't want to go to Enid....

• Upvote 1

Was at Vance when that tornado went through North Enid a few years ago. We were pretty worried that the Wee Too restaurant didn't make it. Turns out the storm just blew the roof off the convention center and knocked over a few combines instead.

Was at Vance when that tornado went through North Enid a few years ago. We were pretty worried that the Wee Too restaurant didn't make it. Turns out the storm just blew the roof off the convention center and knocked over a few combines instead.

Haha that hole in the wall restaurant was awesome.

The new (most) houses on tinker have storm shelters underground in the garages. The old houses don't (only a few old houses left). Other than the new clinic, the people in rest of the buildings on base have to find the "innermost" rooms. Might as well just duck under a table w/ your hands covering your head/neck. Works for earthquakes n nuclear explosions right?

The new (most) houses on tinker have storm shelters underground in the garages. The old houses don't (only a few old houses left). Other than the new clinic, the people in rest of the buildings on base have to find the "innermost" rooms. Might as well just duck under a table w/ your hands covering your head/neck. Works for earthquakes n nuclear explosions right?

Well covering head/neck/wearing a helmet might actually protect you from a tornado whereas doing that in a nuclear blast will not.