Jalapeno Popcorn

jazzdude

Guest nghtswmng2

Step 1: Fill Styrofoam/ Red Plastic/ Pint Glass 1/3 - 1/2 full of oil.

2: Add said oil to kettle with 2-3 kernels.

3: When kernels pop the oil is hot enough for the peppers. Add 2-3 scoops (trial and error to find the right amount)Add some salt to taste.

4: Let simmer 5-10 min with the stirrer going, until the jalapenos are JUST now brown. Do not over cook.

5: Add full cup/ pint of korn.

6: Dump when the popping is almost done.

7: ADO- "MORE SALT!"

Originally posted by Mambo:

For extra flavor add jalapeno juice to a spray bottle and mist it over the cooked popcorn.

Oh dude, that's a great idea right there. It would sure beat the shit outta the cayenne pepper I sometimes toss on it. I'm trying that as soon as I get a chance.

Our corn popper actually has a recipe posted on the outside ala 781 - complete with notes warnings and cautions. One of the warnings is to drain the excess jalapeno juice before adding them to the oil - something to the effect of causing excess smoke, coughing, and extreme eye irritation. Ops tested...drain the extra juice.

• Upvote 1

You're right about draining the extra juice. That stuff stinks up the whole squadron.

Another little way to add some zing is to add some Tabasco sauce and/or chili powder to the whole oil concoction. This can make it a little smoky too if you put in too much, but it's another trial-and-error thing to find the proper stinky-squadron to kick-ass-popcorn ratio.

Other funny reactions when talking to mixed company of pilots/non pilots...

"So we're at the O Club...doing shot after shot of weed"

"Yeah, I love weed...it's the greatest..."

Non Pilot: "OMG!!! YOU GUYS ARE DRUGGIES!!!"

makes me laugh every time.

You don't have to sqeeze the juice out of the peppers. As long as you're not throwing a cup of juice in there in addition to everything else you're ok.

You do want the jalapeno's to be chewy, not crispy and black. That's why I throw mine if AFTER I put the corn in. Wait until the first kernel starts popping, then dump the peppers. They come out with a crispy outside and a green chewy inside.

Don't fall into the trap of making it hot as humanly possible. The key is flavor, not heat.

Guest kingpin

My flight's designated jalepeno popcorn maker was always tinkering with the recipe to get it "just right." One fateful day he decided to add more jalepenos to the mix AFTER already heating up a pepper/oil combo in the popper. The plastic spoon caught the stirring mechanism, and when it popped back it spewed boiling jalepeno oil right in his eyes.

....that guy probably could have used a "Notes, Warnings and Cautions" page posted to the side of the popper.

1T1F

Originally posted by One team, One fight:

The plastic spoon caught the stirring mechanism, and when it popped back it spewed boiling jalepeno oil right in his eyes.

I bet that was self critiquing.

Hoser

• 7 years later...

So, almost eight years later, I have a personal piece of advice and also a question on the topic:

This recipe worked on three different machines, and I got a decent amount of compliments... To the effect of, "Well, it's definitely hot."

- 1/2-1/3 Solo cup of oil... In said oil, add a little jalapeño juice, Frank's Hot Sauce, and some Cayenne pepper

- Dump in half a billion jalapeños... Let this cook for exactly seven minutes

- At the seven minute mark dump in the 2/3 Solo cup of kernels (add more jalapeño juice if you want... I want)

- As soon as the kernels start popping, prepare yourself to dump the corn. All three machines I operated were glitchy, mechanically unsound, and constantly created the danger of burned corn... Consequently the only smell more overbearing and exponentially more insufferable than cooking jalapeños in a small room

- Dump some more salt and Cayenne pepper on there, then mix that shit up

- For personal flavor, grab TWO paper bags (moisture control), corral your corn, put a little more jalapeño juice in a Solo cup, mix more Frank's into it, and pour, unceremoniously, atop said corn. Gives it a godly mix of crisped corn and jalapeños with a portion of slightly soggy corn and jalapeños.

This was a recipe created amidst trial and error, stood upon the shoulders of giants with great corn ideas. I love it, and if you make it, you should never be the guy hearing that it should be made hotter... So you'll have that going for you. Which is nice...

So, for all that information, requested or not, I have a question I would like answered in return: Have any of you guys made a decent batch of jalapeño corn at home or somewhere else, without the aid of an actual popcorn machine? I've tried just popping some bagged corn at home and then cooking some sliced jalapeños in a skillet with some olive oil, but only managed to singe my eyes, set off my fire alarms, and incite the rage of my spousal roommate... Any advice or ideas?

I'm getting drunker, and my ideas may not be getting any better as the evening continues. Any help would be appreciated... By me and my family.