Skydiver Fearless Felix jumps from 18 miles up

Tank

I wonder what would theoretically happen if he tried talking to himself, while going faster than the speed of sound. Would he be able to hear himself? (Ignoring the wind noise, and hemet/suit)

I wonder what would theoretically happen if he tried talking to himself, while going faster than the speed of sound. Would he be able to hear himself? (Ignoring the wind noise, and hemet/suit)

What if he was running the speed of sound on a treadmill matching his speed?

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...

Am I the only person who doesn't give a shit about this? Col Kittinger already did it. It may not be in the record books, but his body went Mach one in a pressure suit, and a crappy one at that. Physically, physiologically, aerodynamically, etc. there's no difference between 103k and 120k. Whatever, good luck dude. Hope you don't crater.

Col Kittinger already did it. It may not be in the record books, but his body went Mach one in a pressure suit, and a crappy one at that.

No....Kittinger didn't. Baumgartner will be the first to break the sound barrier if he does it.

Some people care, some people don't. Baumgartner didn't ask for your attention, or for you to care.

Despite the fact that he WILL be the first to do what is planned:

Plenty of people have climbed K2. That doesn't make a modern day climb worthless.

Plenty of people have walked on the moon. That doesn't mean that going again would be any less amazing.

Bottom line...this guy said, "hey, I'm an accomplished skydiver, what else could I do that would be a new experience for me?". He came up with a high altitude jump, got it financed through a sponsorship, and is making it a reality. This isn't supposed to be a spectacle as far as he's concerned. Red Bull advertises it (although not much...this is no Travis Pastrana 99% fluff prime time stunt special intended to make ratings) in order to recoup some of their investment in the form of brand recognition. Oh yeah, and there is an appreciable amount of research being done alongside the jump.

Wow. That's all great, but doesn't answer the original question, does anybody else NOT give a shit?

BTW, you were right, he didn't go Mach one, it was .9 Mach. I still consider it more ballsy and impressive given the state of 1950’s technology. And...It would be slightly less amazing to go to the moon today than it was in 1969...slightly. And...who's Travis Pastrana? And...why am I spending so much time responding to your post.

• Upvote 1

Plenty of people have climbed K2. That doesn't make a modern day climb worthless.

There is nothing noteworthy about having to use a machine to breathe and being carried up the mountain by locals. I do not consider that a personal achievement considering people have done it decades ago without as much aid. I do think Baumgartner's attempt is remarkable, but a K2 reference does not do it justice.

So everyone who climbs K2 is on O2 and carried by locals? I understand where you are coming from. I am also inclined to sit behind a keyboard, condescend, and minimize the achievents of others. I'd like to represent myself as someone who is unimpressed by things I have not accomplished because I think it may make me appear discerning and superior.

But the truth of the matter is, I think it's fucking awesome and I would jump at the opportunity to do such things myself. Perhaps I could hire you to carry me up a mountain. It would be a great way to start your very own list of personal achievements.

Most people who try to climb the mountains are unable to do it on their own. Go back decades and it was different, but not today. You do sit behind a keyboard and are often condescending, and minimize other people's lives despite not knowing anything about them. I do not care for that is your prerogative. Not mine. I said equating climbing a mountain with assistance to Baumgartner's jump is not fair. I have my own list of personal achievements, but yeah...sure, I will be your mountain guide if you pay for the trip.

You do sit behind a keyboard and are often condescending, and minimize other people's lives despite not knowing anything about them. I do not care for that is your prerogative. Not mine.

LOL

Sarcasm detector inop. Terminate for loss/lack of SA.

It would be funny if it wasn't so sad. Disregard, it is funny in spite of being sad.

Most people who try to climb the mountains are unable to do it on their own. Go back decades and it was different, but not today. You do sit behind a keyboard and are often condescending, and minimize other people's lives despite not knowing anything about them. I do not care for that is your prerogative. Not mine. I said equating climbing a mountain with assistance to Baumgartner's jump is not fair. I have my own list of personal achievements, but yeah...sure, I will be your mountain guide if you pay for the trip.

You can pay a company to drag a moderately experienced climber to the top of Everest. A moderately experienced climber can't do the same on K2. I referenced K2 for a reason.

And no, the fact that "Most people who try to climb the mountains are unable to do it on their own" wasn't different decades ago. They were called expeditions for a reason. Edmond Hillary and Tenzing Norgay didn't climb Everest on their own. They had other sherpas and porters carry as much of the load as possible for them so that they had the strength to make the summit.

Yes, the caliber of climber that it takes to get to the top of the worlds highest peaks has lessened over the years, but that's not to say that the purists do it without support.

Baumgartner didn't single-handedly design his capsule, weld the capsule together, sew his space suit up, fill the balloon with helium, etc., so I guess the accomplishment is worthless. Anything that takes a collaboration isn't worth doing.

"You didn't climb that." That's a bold statement from a recent teenager. Forgive me if I have a difficult time not rejecting your critiques of people that have accomplished far more than a young college student, aided or unaided. Would you care to share a few anecdotes from your decades as an experienced unaided mountaineer to qualify your criticisms?

My biological mother's and father's jobs were to provide medical aid for the people that tried to climb peaks in the Himalayas. Forgive me for not being as impressed having witnessed how much outside help is required. I do not put those people on the same pedestal as those who are pioneers.

C'mon. Any child can see that's false. A few mildly harsh comments toward a single random person who has likely contributed or achieved so little in thier short life hardly counts as "often".

Again, you say "random" and then pretend to know. I do learn from you though. I hope and will try not to use my service as a crutch to act superior to people over the internet, or anywhere for that matter.

I would absolutely LOVE to see that list. Please post it. Does it contain the words "This one time" or "Twilight"?

You can go ahead and erase #1, but I'll only pay you to leave.

Then you can PM me. You want to know, I will tell you.

Edited by Masshole

You don't learn very quickly. I tried to make the intended irony between the words and the meaning as glaring as possible, but oh well. As a matter of prinicple, I don't use my service as a crutch to feel superior, only the number and quality or women I.... you know.... have interacted with. They've all been really nice.

Color me shocked that you would make sweeping generalizations based on your limited experiences with a relative few women.

• Upvote 1