Transfering airframes

C-130Hoya

Having a T-38 background could help you if there is a fighter crossflow a la that late 90's. But like my esteemed colleagues have said, the MAJCOMs don't know and/or track what guys flew in UPT. They only care about what someone is coded now and how they fit into the manning scheme.

With all the fighter manning problems (I know it's staff jobs that are undermanned), it wouldn't surprise me to see guys flow into fighters. I have absolutely nothing other than a hunch to back that up so FWIW.

I'm a 38 guy that got a C17 out of pilot training. Just finished the schoolhouse here at Altus and the IPs were telling my training partner and I how bad things are currently in the 17 community for guys coming up on their next assignments...apparently almost nobody has been getting an ops-to-ops tour; rather, they are getting sent to RPAs, MC12s, ALOs, etc. The best assignment honestly that some have received is a T6 to UPT...

Some of the IPs I talked to seemed to think that since I was a 38 guy that ACC still "has a hold on me" and that I may only get one tour in the 17 as well before getting farmed back to ACC to either be RPA/MC12 (like everyone else recently) or to "other" ACC assets (fighters/bombers/recon?), or go back to UPT as a 38 instructor.

Anyone out there heard anything along these lines? I really am happy with my assignment to 17s and obviously I'd prefer to stay in the 17 vice going to RPAs or MC12s, but if they offered me the chance to go to a fighter or bomber on my next assignment I'd consider it.

Any 17 guys out there crossflowed to other aircraft, or done special programs like the U2?

Hopefully things won't look so bleak for 17 guys coming up on assignment in the next few years...

Well, I would say the IPs you are talking to are full of shit. Please have them give you the name on one C-17 pilot that has gone to be an ALO. AMLO yes, ALO no, and everyone in the C-17 community that has gone to be an AMLO in recent history specifically asked for that assignment.

Yea, I thought what they were saying didn't jive. Thanks for everyone's input.

Perhaps more "realistic"...anyone know about C17 bubbas getting into special programs like U2s?

There are people from various MDS's flying the Deuce. I know two prior tanker drivers and a Herk driver there, so it's possible.

Perhaps more "realistic"...anyone know about C17 bubbas getting into special programs like U2s?

http://www.flyingsquadron.com/forums/index.php?/topic/657-u-2-dragonlady-info/page__st__220__p__306372__hl__u-2__fromsearch__1#entry306372

It's called "search function", and works fairly well.

As for the MC-12, are the C-17 pilots you are are referring to going to the MC-12 for a "1 and out" tour? Or for a full 3+ year PCS?

Huggy, we're getting a few permanent party folks who were prior C-17, then did flow through manning for MC-12 and decided to stick with it. Apparently the MC-12 isn't as bad as everyone (who hasn't flown it) makes it out to be.

A lot of guys hate it because of the way manning was implemented, not the plane itself.

http://www.flyingsqu...__1#entry306372

It's called "search function", and works fairly well.

As for the MC-12, are the C-17 pilots you are are referring to going to the MC-12 for a "1 and out" tour? Or for a full 3+ year PCS?

Got it, thanks for the information.

I'm not sure if those particular C17 pilots are going to the MC12 for a one and out or if it's a full PCS. They may not have known since it sounds like a pretty recent thing that a lot of C17 guys are getting sent to MC12s, and based on the bad gouge they apparently gave us regarding 38 guys and the whole AMC/ACC thing...who knows. But by the way they were talking about it, it sounded as if it were a full 3+ year PCS and that they likely would not be coming back to the C17.

Apparently the MC-12 isn't as bad as everyone (who hasn't flown it) makes it out to be.

Go figure.

I have read too many blogs with "pilots" ranting about the MC-12... only to find out they've never been assigned to it.

Whatever... let them believe what they want.

Kind of like SQ/CC's and above telling their young guys "do NOT apply to the U-2 if you want a future in the AF".

Got it, thanks for the information.

I'm not sure if those particular C17 pilots are going to the MC12 for a one and out or if it's a full PCS. They may not have known since it sounds like a pretty recent thing that a lot of C17 guys are getting sent to MC12s, and based on the bad gouge they apparently gave us regarding 38 guys and the whole AMC/ACC thing...who knows. But by the way they were talking about it, it sounded as if it were a full 3+ year PCS and that they likely would not be coming back to the C17.

Not that recent...we had folks going when I was in 17s and I've been out of them for a couple of years...there were a shit ton of dudes going to "white jets" of all kinds about the time I left...

I read this and I wonder how you can be calling anyone a dumb ass.

That is because most of you fighter pilot buffoons have no idea what an AMLO is. We are nothing like ALOs, we still get to fly. So, I get to reset my TOS, deploy when I want to, for as long I want, fly when I want, and stay home on Fridays. Why would anyone want to do that.

• Upvote 1

...and stay home on Fridays. Why would anyone want to do that.

Like I said...

On topic, the new wing king at DM is a C-130 cud chewer with one A-10 ops squadron and a couple mush cranium RTU assignments.

I've never heard of the guy. Anyone flown with him?

FIFY. He's one of 3 guys I know on AD that graduated ENJJPT during "screw-you '92" (when they dropped zero fighters) and did a short tour in heavies before cross-flowing to fighters.

Unfortunately, I think it's a poor comparison to cite for people who want to transfer these days. A lot has changed and the cause of the 11F shortage is completely different than it was back then.

It is an example. that is all it is. It was not intended to be a Cinderella slipper exact fit for the timing and circumsatances of what is happening today.

However...

He was, in fact, a herbivore who did transition to the A-10 and is now a wing commander. Don't care how or why it happened exactly and you are postulating it was simply a timing issue. Most things are, even when people want to attribute their success to their awesomeness and their failures to timing.

You can say you fixed it for me but his experience does, in fact, span a single fighter squadron and then time as a mush cranium. That means he has had a grand total of two inflight guides in his entire fighter career. You might think that is a lot. I don't.

Thanks for the critique, it added value to the OP I am sure.

Edited by Rainman A-10

ll just refer to you as a rotor cranium from now on.

Promise? If I told you I would be honored would that mean you won't refer to me as such? I'm totally down with it as long as the real helo guys wouldn't be insulted.

Who fucking cares?! The thread is about transferring airframes, which you probably have a ton of meaningful insight about. But instead of talking about that, you seem far more interested in commenting on the current Davis-Monthan AFB FW/CC’s in-flight guide count and bio credentials. .....a guy you don't even know. Classy. Besides, how many Hog bases do you think there are these days? I don't know if you heard, but we had to close a few after the Berlin wall fell.

Wow, there's a lot packed in there.

Who cares? I don't think many do. I would say no one but it is clear that you do.

Do I believe a person can transfer airframes and do a good job? Of course I do. Do I think it is an insult refer to his origin as a cud chewing herbivore? Absolutely not. If he is insulted then shame on him. He should be proud of it and I am guessing he probably is.

I bring up a current example of someone who has done it and seems to be doing well and you are the one who zeros in on the negative just so you can show off and piss on my leg. Like a punk.

I could talk about my experience transferring airframes but you would surely whip your cock out and start pissing about that.

Not sure how long you think I've been retired but thanks for the update regarding the number of bases. This guy is only a few years behind me and I've never heard of him and he is now a wing commander. That is unusual since the A-10 community is quite small. You say he has been a Hog guy for >19 years? That's seems like a long time to have only been at two bases. Maybe not to you.

You tried to spin this into internet retiree gossip.

Calm yourself down. I asked a question that seemed relevant to the topic. If you could've answered it and instead chose to show off then shame on you. And yes, there are more than a few A-10 guys (retired and active) who have never heard of him either. That's not normal, FWIW.

DM is doing just fine.

Rest assured, I am not worried about DM. But thanks for letting me know. Seriously.

Time to move on.

Great. Do it.

That is because most of you fighter pilot buffoons have no idea what an AMLO is. We are nothing like ALOs, we still get to fly. So, I get to reset my TOS, deploy when I want to, for as long I want, fly when I want, and stay home on Fridays. Why would anyone want to do that.

Huh, instead of quote I hit like. Which I didn't mean to.

I meant to say, for someone who's life is so great you seem pretty bitter.

• Upvote 1