Does it ever become fun again?

Vetter

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Hydro130
Originally posted by Bergman:

SHACK! There is nothing worse that being TDY for 90+ days (sleeping on a cot, 100 yard walk to the shitter, chow hall, etc) and then getting home, filling out your travel voucher the same day you arrive home, driving all the way to finance...to find out the f_ckers are "closed for training" at 1300 on a Friday with the lights out and doors locked. With all the training they do, you might hope your voucher would be correct more than half the time.

Or how about your wife trying to get a new ID card a week before you deploy for 120 days. She takes not 1, not 2, but 3 afternoons off from work to drive to the base and attempt to get a new ID before it expires. All 3 times the MPF customer service counter is closed, the machine is broke, "the system is down today", or there isn't anyone around who can operate it in the first place. I shouldn't have to call the Squadron Commander personally to complain...and have him call the section OIC...who calls the NCOIC...who finally makes the ID card.

The stories are endless...so the bottom line is this: shoe clerks - DO YOUR F_CKING JOB! We as aircrew are expected to do ours every day, during any weather, any hour of the night or day, for months on end. Why can't we expect the same quality of work from our "support" community???

Guest turtle
The stories are endless...so the bottom line is this: shoe clerks - DO YOUR F_CKING JOB! We as aircrew are expected to do ours every day, during any weather, any hour of the night or day, for months on end. Why can't we expect the same quality of work from our "support" community??? [/QB]
F'in A Cotton, F'in A!

I had a similar conversation with the shoe clerks on airforceots.com the other day and you'd have thought I molested baby Jesus. Homerun brother.

Guest ruckerstud

If aircrew did their job to the standard of finance at my base, EVERY flight would be a class A mishap. I have yet to have a travel voucher come back right. That and the fact that I have to get a letter from someone on G series orders to get a mother loving new jacket. But to answer Vetters originaly question, once in a while you will have that flight that will remind you why what you do beats working for a living

Guest Hoser

The stories are endless...so the bottom line is this: shoe clerks - DO YOUR F_CKING JOB! We as aircrew are expected to do ours every day, during any weather, any hour of the night or day, for months on end. Why can't we expect the same quality of work from our "support" community???

I continued to get my tax free / combat pay after I returned from a deployment.

Month one: called over and talked to which ever Airmen answered the phone.

Month two: While home on Leave, checked my account on-line and still getting combat pay with no taxes. Called finace and asked to talk to shift super. Said it would be taken care off.

Month Three: Actually had to take myself off flying schedule and personally visit finance office. Went straight to OIC, who called the NCOIC to take care of my case personally. She jumped onto a computer and with 6-9 minutes, it was taken care off.

My next 3 paycheks were $0 as Uncle Sam took his lump sums to get his money.

Suck it finance! If there was only some way that I could do their job and pay myself when going TDY. Oh wait, I'm already doing their job via DTS. I can't wait to keep doing everyone else's job too.

Hoser

[ 07. April 2006, 21:23: Message edited by: Hoser ]

I pretty much agree with what everyone else says. There are good examples of shoe clerks out there. Actually, I only have one...

Our flight doc rocks. Numerous times I've called him on his cell phone on Sunday night to tell him I am not well and he meets me IN THE SQUADRON the next morning with the DNIF paperwork filled out. Then he actually comes over and checks up on us. That's support and that's the way it should be.

[ 07. April 2006, 21:33: Message edited by: Vetter ]

Guest rotorhead

Echo all previous irritations and add:

Freakin First Friday, Third Thursday, Fourth Friday, etc. etc. "closed for training" is bad enough...but I'm more offended by the "Closed for official unit function" WTF? You legs think we flyers can't break your complex code for "extended group lunch."

Guest T38driver

Here's a great one...as most know, at SUPT bases students graduate every three weeks, and today was one of those days. Of course, the newly minted pilots get their wings in the morning, and at around 2 pm, they finally get orders. The orders are sending most to the Centrifuge on Monday. Good luck getting that paperwork done on time. And the amazing part, this happens every three weeks. Regardless of which boss calls which boss, it happens again...flat out amazing.

And Vetter...just think about that next CT Cross Country...hopefully that'll get you through another day...

[ 07. April 2006, 22:58: Message edited by: T38driver ]

-My AD orders ran out on 30 Sep while I was at Altus. I called every week starting on 15 Aug, and every day starting on 15 Sep. Do you know why my orders (and my wife's ID in Enid) ran out?

The SYSTEM WAS DOWN

The System?

You know, I remember when orders didn't need the "system". You just got a piece of paper with a stamp on it. Bam. There you go. Not anymore. We need "the system" or we're helpless.

BTW, 1 Oct was a Friday. I was off orders until Mon afternoon the 4th. It was drill weekend back at my unit. That's the only reason I got orders that fast.

My son had a medical appointment Monday morning to get new Asthma meds.

Guess who got dropped from DEERS at 0001 on 1 Oct. If you said "Scooter's entire family" then you're right. Thank goodness one of my buds wives was a nurse at the clinic at Vance and greased the skids.

Props also to the 2Lt at the MPF who made the NCO issue my wife a new ID card and enter her into DEERS that afternoon even though I was not present (geographically separated and trying to complete KC135 school). My wife lugged in the 5 yr old and the screaming infant and the dude at the desk was like "Uh, sorry, I CAN'T HELP YOU"

The 2Lt was a UPT studs wife, and she took charge and actually helped us out.

He was saying don't ***** too loud. He's apparently a UPT stud and would gladly deal with MPF ass-pain to get his wings.

I would personally give a testicle (the bigger of my lopsided pair) to fly. Not all cobblers are cobblers by choice. I, for one, am grateful that I'm cobbling some interesting shoe. Cutting edge clogs. It could be a lot worse.

Alrighty then....I guess the answer to the original question "Does it ever become fun again?" is "HELL YES. My job kicks ass!".

We were supposed to tank some F-15Es tonight, but switched receivers at the last minute. There's nothing better than a 75 degree day, MR crew, winds right down the runway, and going out to A/R off the coast then come back and beat up the pattern for an hour or so. Land, drink some Coronas, laugh, and go home. Repeat tomorrow night. F_ckin A it's fun. What do you guys think? Maybe I am just a brainwashed tanker toad (and that's OK with me).

vde6mc.jpg

vde6p1.jpg

vde72q.jpg

Originally posted by Vetter:

Does flying ever become fun again?

My advice:

At your earliest convenience, get the heck out of AETC - maybe give AMC a try (or ACC I guess for you). Second, get out of Active Duty ASAP. I would recommend the guard or reserves, but don't become a full timer (ART, technician, or whatever name people call it) because there are many miserable aspects that are similar to what you see as a FAIP.

I would say that being a part-timer (working more days than I did while going through UPT) and belonging to the Alcoholics Moving Cargo MAJCOM definitely keeps flying fun for me.

Alrighty then....I guess the answer to the original question "Does it ever become fun again?" is "HELL YES. My job kicks ass!".

We were supposed to tank some F-15Es tonight, but switched receivers at the last minute. There's nothing better than a 75 degree day, MR crew, winds right down the runway, and going out to A/R off the coast then come back and beat up the pattern for an hour or so. Land, drink some Coronas, laugh, and go home. Repeat tomorrow night. F_ckin A it's fun. What do you guys think? Maybe I am just a brainwashed tanker toad (and that's OK with me).

vde6mc.jpg

vde6p1.jpg

vde72q.jpg

I am having a crappy day pushing paper through the Puzzle Palace...wanting to stick a gun in my mouth when I stumble across this thread and picture. At first site of what I wish I was doing this day, I want to expedite the process and end the misery, but as I take a moment to reflect and realize I have less that one year left in purgatory, I decide to hang on.

Thanks for the pictures bra, you saved my life.

Originally posted by B-O-double-Z:

My advice:

I would recommend the guard or reserves, but don't become a full timer (ART, technician, or whatever name people call it) because there are many miserable aspects that are similar to what you see as a FAIP.

Guest Hydro130

"I'm The Dude, so that's what you call me. Ya know uhhh, that or uhhh his Dudeness or Duder or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

Makes me laugh!

Hydro