Ejecting

Guest PalmettoGuy

Oh I know; it's just that there was absolutely a vibe of them taking his mistakes personally. Which is somewhat wierd because most of the cadre there when I went through were probably in elementary school at the time O'Grady was shot down.

Are you suggesting that the SERE guys are a little weird? Naaaaaaaaaw.

So I took this thread a little off topic, let me rerail. I know a student pilot ejected at Vance back in 2010, do we know if he graduated?

I don't about the Vance student, but I know two students who ejected in T-38s at Sheppard and both went on to graduate - one is flying Strike Eagles, the other is flying in the German AF.

When the results of the various Class A mishap safety / investigation boards are determined following an ejection, and the pilot retains their flying clearance, is there much social stigma from other people in the flying community? Is it viewed as a dodged bullet and the rare experience of a small minority? Can it haunt a pilots' career and advancement despite later creating a record of high performance/competence?

Lastly, I suspect around half of all pilots who've survived election keep flying in the AF. Between the possible permanent injuries and a stat that historically 67% of all class A's are "attributed to human factors," is that estimate about right?

1st question/s - This would depend on the circumstances of the ejection. I know three people who have ejected - one in the Strike Eagle, two in the T-38. Two were caused by birdstrikes that led to engine failure and there was no stigma associated with the incident. In the third, the pilot's actions were found to be causal, but it was through his inadvertent actions and not a lack of knowledge or TO/AFI violations. I don't believe there was any associated stigma but I wasn't stationed with him at the time, and he on his last assignment so no telling whether it would have affected his career. Nothing from the safety incident can (rephrase - is supposed to) be used against the individual in a punitive matter or affect his career.

2nd question - I would say your number is accurate, if not low.

Scott Ogrady made it out of a hostile environment, could he have done better? Sure......but he made it out alive.

Part of the issue is his act in the months/years prior to the shootdown. 800-hour wingman. Not exactly what you'd call a well respected aviator in the Viper community even before that whole ordeal.

So I took this thread a little off topic, let me rerail. I know a student pilot ejected at Vance back in 2010, do we know if he graduated?

Yes he did graduate. He was a reservist C5 guy from Dover. He's out there still last I talked with someone in that unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then there was the whole "I didn't get an air-to-air kill because I forgot to uncage my AIM-9" thing...

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

I seem to remember that same story coming from an old sim instructor at CBM. The way that version went, he missed the first A2A kill of Desert Storm (his wingman didn't have his shit in the street & claimed that honor)