Brothers meet at 25,000 feet

ClearedHot

by Capt. Eric Badger

379th Air Expeditionary Wing Public Affairs

12/5/2005 - SOUTHWEST ASIA (AFPN) -- Families normally get together for holidays -- but at 25,000 feet?

Not hardly.

But two pilots from the 379th Air Expeditionary Wing found a way to accomplish a mission and have a family reunion at the same time.

Capts. Greg Matthew Amig reunited in the skies over Southwest Asia, where Greg refueled his brother’s aircraft on Thanksgiving Day.

The brothers are stationed together at this forward-deployed base. Greg is 340th Expeditionary Air Refueling Squadron KC-135 Stratotanker pilot. He is deployed from Grand Forks Air Force Base, N.D. Matthew is a 16th Expeditionary Airborne Command and Control Squadron E-8 JSTARS pilot, deployed from Robins AFB, Ga.

The brothers said their commanders worked to match their flying schedules so they could complete a mission together.

“Our commanders got the ball rolling,” Greg said. “From there it was up to his (brother's) squadron’s planners and my squadron’s planners. Coordination then had to be done with the combined air operations center to get it lined up.

“After about a month of planning, we finally made it happen,” he said.

Holy crap! A month?

It took a month to alert and mobilize the forces (PA, AFN, AF News, etc)...and I am sure they (PA, AFN, etc) all got several medals for it.

Still, it's not as exciting as the "all-female" crew pics, such as the first all-female combat crew aboard a C-130 in Iraq (below), is it?

ai092705a4.jpg

Cheers! M2

Guest mo7stanley

The "crew" includes the pilot and co-pilot right? Basing everything on looks and not knowing who is the pilot based on patches and stuff, I would say the pilot is the third from the left.

We can safely assume that there's at least 1 Herc crew out there who's not afraid to stop and ask for directions.

So if they all flew together for the entire rotation, would they still be considered a "hard crew"??

[ 06. December 2005, 20:11: Message edited by: Bergman ]

Originally posted by Clearedhot:

Pilot is 4th from left...from left.

Wouldn't it have been easier to say 3rd from the right?

Let me guess, the "loadmaster" is 6th from the left?

Hoser

[ 06. December 2005, 21:38: Message edited by: Hoser ]

As the previous theme of the thread was from left to right and as person who speaks Anglo-Saxon English (designed to work from left to right), I decided to keep with the theme and continue from left to right.

I know your pea-brain is overloaded trying to remember your only four approved responses, "2" "Joker/Bingo" "Lead you're on fire". "ITTFO", so I will remember that in the future when composing threads I think you might read.

From left to right, Staff Sgt. Josie E. Harshe, flight engineer; Capt. Anita T. Mack, navigator; 1st Lt. Siobhan Couturier, pilot; Capt. Carol J. Mitchell, aircraft commander; and loadmasters Tech. Sgt. Sigrid M. Carrero-Perez and Senior Airman Ci Ci Alonzo, pause in the cargo bay of their C-130 for a group photo following their historic flight. (U.S. Air Force photo)
"Josie E. Harshe"? "Anita T. Mack?" "Sigrid"? "CiCi"? Almost sounds like TDY nametags...

Cheers! M2

[ 06. December 2005, 22:03: Message edited by: MajorMadMax ]

I know your pea-brain is overloaded trying to remember your only four approved responses, "2" "Joker/Bingo" "Lead you're on fire". "ITTFO", so I will remember that in the future when composing threads I think you might read.

I guess I should update my signature line, seeing that those were my wingman responses. As a Flight Lead, I have new and improved sayings, to include "Hack", "Fence In" "2, where are you going? and "2, STFU!"

Hoser

[ 06. December 2005, 22:49: Message edited by: Hoser ]

Originally posted by Hoser:

I guess I should update my signature line, seeing that those were my wingman responses. As a Flight Lead, I have new and improved sayings, to include "Hack", "Fence In" "2, where are you going? and "2, STFU!"

Hoser

Congrats on your upgrade. I will now include words with two syllables in posts that I think you might read.

Congrats on your upgrade. I will now include words with two syllables in posts that I think you might read.

Originally posted by Bergman:

So if they all flew together for the entire rotation, would they still be considered a "hard crew"??

Dunno, but the aircraft they're in would be considered a UAV.