10 Year commitment

matmacwc

Are you in or out after your commitment?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Are you staying in after your 10 year pilot commitment is up?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends on my next assignment

Guest Hueypilot812

I guess we'll see if the ACP bonus comes out this year. Funny how when it's my turn to consider the bonus, I'm hearing tons of rumors they may not offer it because Congress wants to do away with bonuses. This, in light of 2012...no, not the end of the Aztec calendar, but the year when the age 65 dudes retire...that and the FAA passed new regulations governing stricter crew rest requirements, meaning airlines will have to hire more bodies to cover the flights.

It will be interesting to see what happens if the USAF doesn't offer the bonus anymore, a year before what many industry folks are saying will be the largest hiring boom in the past decade or so.

Anyone in the know hear anything on the 2011 ACP? Or if it will be offered at all? Last I heard, officially, is that AFPC isn't talking about it until the defense authorization bill gets passed.

I know this sounds like a mother AF survey, but it's totally a straw poll. Maybe the higher ups will watch and listen, then again, maybe they will stop loss.

Please no guard/reserve responses, we all know what your answer will be lol.

Even though mine's a six or seven year as a nav...yeah, I'm probably staying in. I've got way too many friends on the outside working shit jobs even with a college degree because there's not much out there.

That's surprising, I hear the market for former Navs is pretty good right now. I know of at least three Eastern Mongolian airlines that need navigators. :beer:

• Upvote 1

That's surprising, I hear the market for former Navs is pretty good right now. I know of at least three Eastern Mongolian airlines that need navigators. :beer:

I hear the C-17 will be getting navs, but they'll be called "gear position monitor".

• Upvote 2

More cannon afb = me getting out. Yeah, the job market isn't all that great but it's not horrible. I'll take 30k base pay cut because let's face it, I'm already giving that money to an overinflated real estate market and lack of jobs for my wife.

Really hard to say. I'll have about 19.5 years TIS when I complete my 10 year commitment, so obviously I'll do the other 6 months to get 20. Beyond that, who knows...will depend on things that are impossible to know right now.

Still debating... It will really be interesting - I see the 65 year old guys hitting the limit and the airlines starting to hire. That being said the airlines are highly unstable - timing there may be even more important than in the AF. As someone mentioned I'm not sure how the new crew rest rules are going to influence hiring as well. If they have to hire more bodies will the bigger pool be getting paid the same or less than they are now? That being said, I can't recall one airline guy doing a 120, 179 or 365 to any desert location...

I bet a good number of dudes are going to bail. Even more would bail if the economy wasn't as bad as it is now. Too many deployments and beat downs from big blue...

BF

Haha, that's funny because another 2-3 years before that, a couple ran off the runway in the AOR.

Hahaha, it's funny because it was in a mine field. Also, how can you run off the runway, if you never actually touch the runway.

I can't recall one airline guy doing a 120, 179 or 365 to any desert location...

Good point. During my brief stint in the major airlines, I did ~150 days to places like Allentown, Omaha, La Guardia, Greensboro...

Better than the desert... but, whether it's good or bad, you are still gone from home.