Do you wish you went Guard/Res?

Guest Bad News

What are you hmmm...-ing? The fact that KC-10 reservists don't deploy much or the fact that I'd do the same thing if I were them? Also, the ARC doesn't own any KC-10s by themselves... all are active-associates so I guess you could consider them co-owned. There's no iron to take away from them.

You know exactly what I meant.

BTW, no ARC iron is "co-owned." The USAF owns the iron that the ARC uses and can take it back whenever they want it back.

Slight topic shift. How are the AD guys doing who got sent to Guard Units a year or so ago?

Great question.

Slight topic shift. How are the AD guys doing who got sent to Guard Units a year or so ago?

I've heard horror stories from other units, but IMHO, it's going quite well in my little corner of the tanker world. There is a steep learning curve (for both sides...pay, funding, who gets to go TDY, what the hell is a SUTA, what do you mean your a civilian right now...you're wearing a flightsuit...) but we are coexisting nicely.

Guest Crew Report

You know exactly what I meant.

BTW, no ARC iron is "co-owned." The USAF owns the iron that the ARC uses and can take it back whenever they want it back.

Agreed

Ask all the Georgia Guard JSTARS dudes who used to fly B-1's back in 2001. Then the USAF took them away to return to Active Duty.

Edited by Crew Report

Guest Hueypilot812

What are you hmmm...-ing? The fact that KC-10 reservists don't deploy much or the fact that I'd do the same thing if I were them? Also, the ARC doesn't own any KC-10s by themselves... all are active-associates so I guess you could consider them co-owned. There's no iron to take away from them.

I got Rainman's message crystal clear, so should you. I was ARNG for nearly 8 years, and maybe it's just a culture difference between the two, but sometimes I'm embarrassed with the attitude some (not all) of the ARC guys hold towards deploying and serving. It's almost as if some dudes feel it's their own self-service career machine. When I was in the ARNG, I put the uniform on to serve my nation, albeit part-time, and if there was a call to deploy, I would have done that. They asked for volunteers to send dudes to Honduras for 9 months following Hurricane Mitch in the 1990s, and I volunteered...never went because they decided against having UH-1s down in the mountains, but I wanted to go, and so did a lot of other guys. I know that being part time means sometimes it's not convenient to deploy, but you should be wanting to deploy when you can.

Instead the post you wrote about the KC-10 AFRC guys make them look like a bunch of self-serving assholes. Hopefully the picture you painted was inaccurate, but judging from the remarks I've read on the FB C-130 page from ARC guys, it's not an uncommon attitude.

Ditto with Rainman about the ownership of the iron. The airplanes belong to the US, period. The DoD can shift them around as it sees fit. I've heard lots of remarks lately about the latest shift in C-130 tails...dudes saying "the AD is stealing our airplanes"...bullshit. Those airplanes exist to serve the needs of our nation, not any particular ARC unit.

Don't get me wrong, I like the ARC...I was a member of the reserve component for nearly a decade. I understand the challenges. I know that not everyone has the attitude present in KH's post. My advice to those who do have that attitude...our military would be better served if you got out entirely and put on a commercial pilot's uniform. The military, ARC or not, isn't ing Burger King.

Edited by Hueypilot812

...the post you wrote about the KC-10 AFRC guys make them look like a bunch of self-serving assholes. Hopefully the picture you painted was inaccurate, but judging from the remarks I've read on the FB C-130 page from ARC guys, it's not an uncommon attitude.

Unfortunately, you are correct. I have the distinct displeasure of flying with a few of those self-serving assholes... and they're not limited to only one paygrade or crew position.

KC-10s are "owned" by the two AD Wings (and ultimately by the American taxpayers, of course). Reserve clowns like me just get to borrow the equipment for the duration of the flight/mission.

I got Rainman's message crystal clear, so should you.

The military, ARC or not, isn't fucking Burger King.

Just to clarify...

I am a huge fan of the ARC. We are lucky as a nation to have enough iron (for now) to keep and maintain talent in the form of trained and equipped forces in the ARC.

I also know how demanding it can be for an ARC unit to be tasked to deploy multiple times.

A small business owner will struggle to keep his business open if he/she must deploy often or for an extended period. Many enlisted folks also take significant pay cuts from what they make in their civilian jobs to come in and bend wrenches or pump gas.

An airman sent on multiple deployments may have some real trouble with his/her civilian employer. A kid in college may get set back a year from his planned graduation date if a deployment falls at the wrong time.

These are real sacrifices made by great Americans who are doing thier part to serve our nation. These folks have some difficult choices to make every time their re-enlistment comes up. Retention of this talent is critical but getting more difficult every year.

A wing/state leadership with an active ESGR program is essential but not a cure all.

I have always struggled when listening to an ARC pilot say shit like "do you have any idea how much it is costing me to fly for the Guard/Reserve?" as if they should get a fucking medal because they had to drop a trip because they were going to lose currency or needed a checkride or couldn't bid what they wanted that month due to a drill. These were typically the same guys that would use the ARC to get out of something or get some advantage with their airline...and laughed about how sweet it was to have the ARC shield/skirt to hide behind.

It is not fucking Burger King.

That said...

Most of the ARC pilots I know live an incredibly fucked up schedule and juggle an unbelievable number of things (including two jobs and a family) and still come in with a huge smile on their faces, just happy as hell to be serving their country. The non-pilots I know are some of the most incredibly professional and extremely talented people I have even met in uniform. Without the ARC we would never have access to them and that would be very bad. Their efforts and dedication are degraded by the selfish attitude displayed by a few. Those few shrill voices are, unfortunately, impossible to ignore and they overshadow the quiet dedication of the vast majority of their peers.

So, while I am disgusted by some of the attitudes of a few individuals (and a few unit cultures) I am a firm believer in the Total Force concept and I am damn glad we have the ARC to pitch into the fight today.

Instead the post you wrote about the KC-10 AFRC guys make them look like a bunch of self-serving assholes. Hopefully the picture you painted was inaccurate, but judging from the remarks I've read on the FB C-130 page from ARC guys, it's not an uncommon attitude.

To be fair, most that I've met aren't assholes at all... most really do give a shit and want to contribute. It's unfortunate that the majority don't walk the walk though, for whatever reason. But after being gone for 200-250 days a year while on AD, with the majority of that time spent in the desert, the ones I've met are completely over the AD game. I don't hold anything against the AFRC crews, it's the leadership of AD/AFRC that has let it get to this point that's frustrating.

To be fair, most that I've met aren't assholes at all... most really do give a shit and want to contribute.

does not equal..

It's unfortunate that the majority don't walk the walk though, for whatever reason.

Huh? Which is it? Or are you saying you feel very strongly both ways.

I don't hold anything against the AFRC crews, it's the leadership of AD/AFRC that has let it get to this point that's frustrating.

The leadership?

Ah right, the "leadership" is the problem.

Look, there's a war on and we need assets to fight the war. The "leadership" is not responsible for the war but they are duty bound to provide trained and equipped forces when called upon. That is a very simple way to put something that involves a lot of work and responsibility that is placed squarely on the shoulders of what you refer to as "the leadership."

I have always been amazed by people who talk about "the leadership" as if there were some anonymous group of alien beings out there thinking up ways to make your life difficult because they don't care about you and/or don't like you. It is an amazingly childlike point of view, especially for a grown adult wearing a military uniform.

You would be best off either trying to get a little bigger picture or just remain quiet on this one. You're not helping yourself or your bros out.

Technique only.

Just to clarify...

I am a huge fan of the ARC.

Words...words...words...

I am a firm believer in the Total Force concept and I am damn glad we have the ARC to pitch into the fight today.

Good post.

As far as the iron ownership goes, everyone understands who owns the iron, the US taxpayer and big Air Force. It's hard not to take a little ownership of iron when you've been flying, fixing, and guarding the same tail numbers for 20 plus years, in some cases.

Also, bitching is a sport in a lot of ARC units, I could see how that would look bad when viewed from the outside. Most will shut up and color when given a mission.

Guest TheBurt

AD also offers things you either won't or have a very small chance of experiencing if you start out in the Guard. I have one job (well, one paycheck anyways) and don't have to worry about being able to support my family on that one pay check if needed.

I know many former AD in the Guard, some came from failing/floundering careers, heavy AD deployment schedule, but seem to flourish in the Guard, they game the system, many end up full-time! Always the first to figure out ways not to deploy, or more often than not, end up doing some kind of staff work instead of line combat flying. I know many furloughed pilots, and instead of changing careers, or seeking another airline, starting a business, they mope around lamenting how bad they have it, collect unemployment, and seek some kind of staff tour for man-days, many return to AD, not because they really want to, but because they are afraid to take risks, the appeal of the "warm wet blue blanket", is too strong, even though many of them had very strong reasons on why they left AD to begin with. The kind of thinking that I smell in Brabus's post. Brabus, I'm not picking on you, just pointing out something I see on a day to day basis.

I also know many more former AD that went ANG and have nothing but good things to say about AD and loved every minute of it (and do a great job in the guard too)! I fly at my airline with 20+ year USAF/USN/USMC retirees that are outstanding individuals, aviators, many Sq Commanders, CO's etc., and you know within the first leg of a flight, they walked the walk.

The guard is not for everyone, the attitude of the KC-10 guy talking about how they game the system is disgusting. The MAJORITY of the crewmembers that quit our unit after our first series of deployment in 2002 were former active duty. The part-timers that stayed are solid guys and continue to deploy year after year, about half former AD and half Guard babies, mostly airline pilots (regional and major). I am very very proud of my units part-timers.

Brabus, I can't imagine what, "AD also offers things you either won't or have a very small chance of experiencing if you start out in the Guard." I would love to compare an average guardsman's life experiences with a career AD any day!!!

Throw off the warm blanket, get a job with an airline, start a business, farm and fly USAF aircraft in combat, as much or more than any AD guy. Yeah, I guess I am glad I went to the Guard.

Burt

Edited by TheBurt

I'm saying I wish the reserves would help us out more, especially in regards to the desert. I'm saying I can see why they can't/ won't/ don't, and it's due to numerous reasons, some of which have been addressed on this board. Perhaps I should have replaced "leadership" with "the system". As Huggy pointed out, "the system" is broken.

I'm done with this topic.

Edited by Karl Hungus

Brabus, I can't imagine what, "AD also offers things you either won't or have a very small chance of experiencing if you start out in the Guard."

What is it you can't imagine?

Did you say you were a pilot on AD before you went to the Guard?

I would love to compare an average guardsman's life experiences with a career AD any day!!!

And what do you think you would find?

I ask because I'm intersted and I assume you can answer. If you knew about both "career AD" and an "average guardsman's life experiences" you would be able to compare the two in your head and form an opinion and articulate it.

So...go for it.

Also, bitching is a sport in a lot of ARC units, I could see how that would look bad when viewed from the outside. Most will shut up and color when given a mission.

For some, bitching must be a currency item.

/sarcasm... but not really.

However, I do believe active duty is coming for ARC iron, I see the push every day. The “operational reserves” is the new norm, and it comes at the expense of the strategic reserve. TFI units are the future and the ARC assets will be used up at an active duty pace. The Air Force needs new toys, and the ARC has them.

I hope we can recap the active force without destroying our strategic reserve.

Imagine if the AD did take the ARC Iron...they would have no reserve to break up the deployments. AD would have to TDY to their homes and would live in the desert. The iron would be reaching their useful shelf life at a staggering rate and we would be sending our jets to the boneyard at the same rate. I wouldn't even want to guess what would happen to the retention rate!

But I do agree with you it seems more and more that TFI is the way of the future...

Agreed

Ask all the Georgia Guard JSTARS dudes who used to fly B-1's back in 2001. Then the USAF took them away to return to Active Duty.

Ya, give another F-ed up program to the guard. Guard gets the program on track thanks the vast experience level and significantly less red tape in the acquisition process. Subsequently the AD says, thanks...we'll go ahead and take those back! Proof positive that the Iron is owned by the AD...and they can do as they please anytime they want.

Just to clarify...

I am a huge fan of the ARC. We are lucky as a nation to have enough iron (for now) to keep and maintain talent in the form of trained and equipped forces in the ARC.

I also know how demanding it can be for an ARC unit to be tasked to deploy multiple times.

A small business owner will struggle to keep his business open if he/she must deploy often or for an extended period. Many enlisted folks also take significant pay cuts from what they make in their civilian jobs to come in and bend wrenches or pump gas.

An airman sent on multiple deployments may have some real trouble with his/her civilian employer. A kid in college may get set back a year from his planned graduation date if a deployment falls at the wrong time.

These are real sacrifices made by great Americans who are doing thier part to serve our nation. These folks have some difficult choices to make every time their re-enlistment comes up. Retention of this talent is critical but getting more difficult every year.

A wing/state leadership with an active ESGR program is essential but not a cure all.

I have always struggled when listening to an ARC pilot say shit like "do you have any idea how much it is costing me to fly for the Guard/Reserve?" as if they should get a ######ing medal because they had to drop a trip because they were going to lose currency or needed a checkride or couldn't bid what they wanted that month due to a drill. These were typically the same guys that would use the ARC to get out of something or get some advantage with their airline...and laughed about how sweet it was to have the ARC shield/skirt to hide behind.

It is not ######ing Burger King.

That said...

Most of the ARC pilots I know live an incredibly ######ed up schedule and juggle an unbelievable number of things (including two jobs and a family) and still come in with a huge smile on their faces, just happy as hell to be serving their country. The non-pilots I know are some of the most incredibly professional and extremely talented people I have even met in uniform. Without the ARC we would never have access to them and that would be very bad. Their efforts and dedication are degraded by the selfish attitude displayed by a few. Those few shrill voices are, unfortunately, impossible to ignore and they overshadow the quiet dedication of the vast majority of their peers.

So, while I am disgusted by some of the attitudes of a few individuals (and a few unit cultures) I am a firm believer in the Total Force concept and I am damn glad we have the ARC to pitch into the fight today.

Great post!

Guest TheBurt

What is it you can't imagine?

I took the quote from Brabus's post that said AD offered more opportunities than going into the guard, Rainman, do you really think that is true? My memory is pretty good, and seem to remember from your post's a few years ago that you were AD in a Reserve unit, so you tell me.

Did you say you were a pilot on AD before you went to the Guard?

No, I get to fly and work with both straight AD, Former AD now Guard, and Guard babies.

And what do you think you would find?

Reference previous quote.

I ask because I'm intersted and I assume you can answer. If you knew about both "career AD" and an "average guardsman's life experiences" you would be able to compare the two in your head and form an opinion and articulate it.

So...go for it.

I obviously do get to compare both daily in the Guard and the airlines, and you assume correct, I can answer. My previous post was in response to Brabus saying that AD offered more. My point was that people that were unhappy with their AD careers usually seemed to be unhappy with their Guard careers and usually just brought that whole bag of donuts with them.

You said in a previous post, "Most of the ARC pilots I know live an incredibly ######ed up schedule and juggle an unbelievable number of things (including two jobs and a family) and still come in with a huge smile on their faces, just happy as hell to be serving their country. The non-pilots I know are some of the most incredibly professional and extremely talented people I have even met in uniform. Without the ARC we would never have access to them and that would be very bad. Their efforts and dedication are degraded by the selfish attitude displayed by a few. Those few shrill voices are, unfortunately, impossible to ignore and they overshadow the quiet dedication of the vast majority of their peers."

Is that ARC pilots that are Reserve/Guard babies or all of them? Again my previous post was in response to Brabus's idea that he gets paid, fed, doesn't have to worry like us poor guardsmen.........

Rainman, my memory is pretty darn good, I seem to remember a general theme in your posts years ago, you pretty much didn't have great things to say about guard/reserve babies. By the way, I'm still in the guard flying and deploying. I still think we guard/reservists give the taxpayer a pretty big bang for the buck, I fly with a lot of guys that have been doing this for 20 years, the real test came after Sept 11th, pilot wise, almost all the pure guard guys have hung in and continue to leave businesses, cushy airline jobs, etc to spend our tent time in the desert, as well as, fly natural disaster relief for every earthquake, forest fire, tsunami etc.

Again, getting back to the original post. I am glad and proud I chose the Guard.

TheBurt

Edited by TheBurt

does not equal..

The leadership?

Ah right, the "leadership" is the problem.

Look, there's a war on and we need assets to fight the war. The "leadership" is not responsible for the war but they are duty bound to provide trained and equipped forces when called upon. That is a very simple way to put something that involves a lot of work and responsibility that is placed squarely on the shoulders of what you refer to as "the leadership."

I have always been amazed by people who talk about "the leadership" as if there were some anonymous group of alien beings out there thinking up ways to make your life difficult because they don't care about you and/or don't like you. It is an amazingly childlike point of view, especially for a grown adult wearing a military uniform.

You would be best off either trying to get a little bigger picture or just remain quiet on this one. You're not helping yourself or your bros out.

Technique only.

I'll back up Karl on this one. At the end of the day you cannot make a guard pilot take a TDY against thier will. Therefore the AD gives up the "good trips" to the guard in order to get some sort of support from them. This I understand. The one time this is not true is when said unit is activated. Right now the AF is activating the units about once every two years. While its true that some units are doing stints in the desert, in my opinion it should be ALL units going to the desert. It is one time every TWO YEARS and it is broken up into 30 day stints, and even then not everyone goes!

Instead our "leadership" is sending most to Guam, Turkey, Australia ect... This I lay at our Generals feet. It is thier descision to not give us AD guys a break when they have the option, and to instead burn us out. Our leadership makes our deployments so miserable that no one wants to go, not the enemy. I blame them and will continue to do so.

Edited by PasserOGas
  • Upvote 1

Guest Hueypilot812

Just to clarify...

etc, etc, etc...

I agree the ARC is a valuable asset, I hope I didn't come off sounding like a reserve component hater. After all, I got my start in the Louisiana Army Guard. I can appreciate the position of flying for a reserve component and working for a small business that didn't understand how the reserves or Guard helps him, because I was "that guy". I got the speech from my boss all the time that taking time to fly Hueys in the Guard was hurting my "career" (if you could call it that). I had a wife that didn't understand why I had to be on call all the time for my regular job, then be gone on weekends and weeknights to go fly for the Guard. Since it wasn't my full-time job, my boss, wife and others saw it as an expendable hobby and I absorbed lots of criticism for doing it.

That being said, there is a difference between an ARC guy saying "I can't keep doing this or it will impact my job/career/marriage", versus someone saying "hey AD, take your desert rotations and suck it, I only want to do the channel runs to Puerto Rico when it's convenient for me". I realize that there are lots of mission hackers in the ARC, and lots of dudes who would do just about anything to serve the country. But I've also run into a sizable mafia of ARC folks that seem to think it's all about them, and anything that gets in their way of using the ARC to become an airline pilot extraordinaire is an inconvenience and they will do whatever it takes to avoid it. KH's first post on the subject just seemed to describe those personalities to a tee.

Anyways, for those ARC brothers who get the mission done and aren't afraid to deploy when you can, here's a :beer: To the ones that have the other attitude, see my other post. :banghead:

At the end of the day you cannot make a guard pilot take a TDY against thier will.

You got that right.

FWIW, I know MANY ARC guys who never flinch when asked to pull their weight and will most often do more than their "fair share."

Therefore the AD gives up the "good trips" to the guard in order to get some sort of support from them. This I understand.

I hear this a lot, and do not doubt it, but have not seen any metrics to verify it as true. There are no "good trips" for fighter units.

The one time this is not true is when said unit is activated. Right now the AF is activating the units about once every two years. While its true that some units are doing stints in the desert, in my opinion it should be ALL units going to the desert. It is one time every TWO YEARS and it is broken up into 30 day stints, and even then not everyone goes!

There are some very closely watched metrics around involuntary mobilization of federal reserve forces. It is seen as a political third rail and many ARC units, especially ANG, are extremely gifted at playing the political game.

Another reason "the leadership" avoids involuntary activation is it gives the unit a free pass for an extended period. It is typically seen as a bteer option to avoid involuntary activation if you can broker a deal where ARC units voluntarily take on tasking.

Instead our "leadership" is sending most to Guam, Turkey, Australia ect... This I lay at our Generals feet. It is thier descision to not give us AD guys a break when they have the option, and to instead burn us out. Our leadership makes our deployments so miserable that no one wants to go, not the enemy. I blame them and will continue to do so.

It is far more complicated than you think. Personally, I loved to get downrange and spent my career trying to be wherever the action was but I know I was a bit of a freak that way. I also know very well what a strain it can put on a family, believe me. However, the requirements are what they are and "the leadership" is tasked with meeting those requirements with the forces available with all the political strings attached. Everyone is a volunteer, the ARC is just a little more voluntary.

It hurts the good ARC units/people when some ARC units/people BFM the rules to get the "good deals" or get out of deploying. Know this, people are keeping score and the iron is at stake for those who run out of political runway.

Know this, people are keeping score and the iron is at stake for those who run out of political runway.

And my money is on the Guard every time. The good senators and congressmen are very jealous of their perogative and guard it zealously.

The JSTARS example used earlier is perfect for my point.

Big blue decided it wanted to move hardware without consulting with the states and senators involved.

The blended wing was the bone thrown to keep Georgia's political help in line. It sure wasn't because ACC wanted to do it.

Big Blue took one on the chin for their lack of S/A.

Sure, stuff may get moved and the particular mission may change because of it, but the state will keep its Guard forces alive. At the cost of funds from the federal treasury and USAF's budget. Money maybe better spent elsewhere, but it will go to keep Senator ME happy. Every time.

USAF as a whole is not in the same political league.

Edited by brickhistory

I obviously do get to compare both daily in the Guard and the airlines, and you assume correct, I can answer. My previous post was in response to Brabus saying that AD offered more. My point was that people that were unhappy with their AD careers usually seemed to be unhappy with their Guard careers and usually just brought that whole bag of donuts with them.

Great point. Unhappy people are often never satisfied.

But you have no personal experience on AD, right? Don't discount the significant number of pilots who did enjoy their AD experience, joined the ARC and have since gone back on AD after they realized the Guard wasn't everything they had hoped. I know many of them. the guys in that group that I know were primarily unhappy with their airline gig and couldn't get enough of what they really wanted from the Guard to offset.

Rainman, my memory is pretty darn good, I seem to remember a general theme in your posts years ago, you pretty much didn't have great things to say about guard/reserve babies. By the way, I'm still in the guard flying and deploying.

I'm not going to get rolled up with any ARC babies who get their feelers hurt when reality is pointed out to them. Although I would like to avoid a sweeping generalization my opinion about ARC babies is relatively unchanged. I will say many of them talk a lot of shit about how great they are compared to AD and they have absolutely zero idea what life is like in an AD unit. They tend to talk about how inexperienced the AD is and how incredibly experienced the ARC is but the way they measure experience (years of part time service equal to years of AD service) is flawed.

Many of my best friends and people I respect as full up warriors are ARC babies. I also know an unfortunately large number of complete idiot ARC babies who have an very limited FOV. FWIW, my full up ARC friends are more embarrassed of those guys than I could ever be.

I still think we guard/reservists give the taxpayer a pretty big bang for the buck, I fly with a lot of guys that have been doing this for 20 years, the real test came after Sept 11th, pilot wise, almost all the pure guard guys have hung in and continue to leave businesses, cushy airline jobs, etc to spend our tent time in the desert, as well as, fly natural disaster relief for every earthquake, forest fire, tsunami etc.

OK, noted.

So do you think the "pure guard guys" should get some sort of special recognition because they "hung in there?" That is bullshit. They get something out of it or they would leave. I am glad they are still serving but they are not somehow more dedicated than their AD counterparts. They have different challenges but they are volunteers and they can quit if they don't want to serve anymore. They will have their nation's gratitude for their service regardless of their decision to stay or go but to act like they should get some sort of special recognition degrades their service, IMHBAO.

I am glad and proud I chose the Guard.

And I thank you for your service. Just check yourself before you make a judgement about something you have no SA on. FWIW, I give the same advice to AD guys who don't know what the ARC is all about.

And my money is on the Guard every time. The good senators and congressmen are very jealous of their perogative and guard it zealously.

Noted.

SandyHogGazette_04-2009_03.jpg

Selective noting, but whatever.

Sure, stuff may get moved and the particular mission may change because of it, but the state will keep its Guard forces alive. At the cost of funds from the federal treasury and USAF's budget. Money maybe better spent elsewhere, but it will go to keep Senator ME happy. Every time.

Guest C17Wes

Bitching is almost a blood sport in the ARC.

Especially if your maintenance. With the mandatory wear of uniforms for dual status technicians. All of the guys with motivation and skills are leaving. Soon all you will have is the screwups. And the guys like me who are to close to retirement to leave.

I have 11 years Active, 6 years Air Guard and 10 Reserve. The Guard is the way to go. Much more of a family atmosphere. With that also comes the good old boy network. But overall a good place to go. Be wise in picking your location. Check your US Senators. You could be on Predators in Houston. Or Block 52 F-16s in South Carolina.

This has been a great discussion with some great points.

The one time this is not true is when said unit is activated. Right now the AF is activating the units about once every two years. While its true that some units are doing stints in the desert, in my opinion it should be ALL units going to the desert. It is one time every TWO YEARS and it is broken up into 30 day stints, and even then not everyone goes!

I think you might be lumping the that KC-10 experience with the rest of the ARC world. I don't know how the KC-10 guys get away with that, but the ARC Herk world is a lot more intense. After this next trip to the shit/sandbox, I will have deployed with the Reserves every year for the past 4 years. Only one of them was a 30-day "stint." My understanding (and personal experience) is that AFRC is rotating reserve units on 120-day rotes with no chance of breaking it up into smaller chunks for the full activations. The "voluntary" rotes can be broken up into 60-day chunks (sometimes), which makes it about a 90-day total activation for our guys after you count processing on both ends of the world and travel time.

I am not trying to say that we pull the same weight as active duty - we don't. But we also don't get paid the same or have the same benefits/retirement as active duty. As others have mentioned, it is very difficult to manage a "real" job in addition to spending a few weekdays and two weekends a month at the unit.

I guess it all boils down to each unit or airframe being different. If you really want out of active duty and want the Gucci lifestyle of little to no deployments, then perhaps the KC-10 units are for you. But if you think that by joining an AFRC or ANG Herk unit will mean you won't deploy - think again.

Therefore the AD gives up the "good trips" to the guard in order to get some sort of support from them. This I understand.

Again, in my opinion, this is the trade-off for reservists not being compensated for full-time work. I look at the good deals (and I agree that it seems that the current strategy is to get ARC guys to volunteer for exotic TDY's and then simply force active duty to take the shitty ones) as sort of a consolation prize for not being able to access my retirement until I am 60 (or 59 and some change now, I guess).

Guest filthy_liar

I have a question related to AD taking iron away from the Guard. Wasn't the Guard originally designed as a force to protect the state as well as provide disaster relief and other state functions? When, how, and why did that transition to many Guard units owning strategic assets?