Salutes for Spouses?

Hacker

It's written in AFI 69-6969...Kayla, I can't believe this whole time you've been going against written rules!

SHAME on ME! I didn't know, SERIOUSLY!

It's better to ask for forgivness then for permission, right?!

Jughead: I LOVE your avatar!

Kayla,

Tha Navy is so ate up about salutes and crap that they make (it's in the contract) the civilian gate guards salute officers/their vehicles.

Never saw the civilians do that in Corpus. I asked my wife, and she said the active guys never saluted her there either.

Carry on" is ridiculous; hell, I don't ever recall ever muttering that anytime in my 25 years in uniform. It is too Army/Marine Corps...

I only say it when I'm deliberately trying to piss someone off. That is, I'm being dismissive because they're being an ass...

I only say it when I'm deliberately trying to piss someone off. That is, I'm being dismissive because they're being an ass...

Copy, but the "accepted" Air Force terminology to use in such cases is "Noted." :bash:

Cheers! M2

Guest Rubber_Side_Down

Odd that the civilian gate guards there salute. Here at Little Rock, they civilians don't even salute me when I'm in uniform...and I don't expect them to since they are, after all, civilian. I agree with Wheelz, just say thanks and drive on. Waving, to me, doesn't equal a salute, so if you wave I'd think that's just a friendly gesture, so don't worry about doing that either.

I've had a fair number of them salute me both in and out of uniform when they check my ID at the gate. They'll thank me, and respond with my rank, and then they pop a pretty sharp salute. I get the distinct impression that they were prior enlisted at some point--it's something about the way they carry themselves. I salute them back when they do it and say "thanks." I think they're just looking to reconnect or to be recognized for their service. It's kinda like when the old, retired guys in front of you in the Pharmacy line look at your flight suit and tell you that "it's been a long time since I've seen one of those...(chuckle, chuckle)" You can tell they want you to ask.

Jughead: I LOVE your avatar!

Why, thank you!

I assume you refer to the video made of me sitting in a cubicle for the last 4.5 years having my very lifeforce sucked out of me into a computer monitor...? Actually, I'll be changing it soon (read: when I get around to it)--I had my first flight in a USAF aircraft in 4.5 years in late Sep, and I'm now enroute to my deployed location w/ the mighty MC-12. :rock:

• 3 weeks later...

To be completely honest, I am amazed. Im just a fresh dumb LT who is new to the military game, but never in a million years would I have thought that spouses would have self entitlement and guts enough to try and pull this off. WTF seriously? YOU DIDNT EARN IT! GET OVER YOURSELF. Im not married, but if I was and my wife pulled some shit like this, she have a mushroom print on her face immediately.

-summe32c

I had to look that up in the urban dictionary. If you were married, summe32c, you'd likely find yourself leaving a "mushroom print" in a door jamb.

I guess you could just backhand her and slap her around a little until she got the point. I KID I KID!!!

Gearpig- Now when someone says that to you, youll know theyre NOT talking about art. Some women like it, others dont. Try it sometime and let us know what she thinks. :thumbsup:

Slacker- Thanks dude..waited a long time for that day to come true, I appreciate the congrats.

EDITED: to thank slacker

Edited by summe32c

Great response. It never ceases to amaze me how many idiot spouses think they wear their husband's rank.

Prior enlisted Navy here, and was working as a civil service employee at a Naval aviation depot for about a year. A young apprentice of about 18 with the two college semesters required to be a sheet metal apprentice was complaining how he had to chew out the jarheads at the gate because he didnt get saluted. I asked what made him think he rated a salute; and his response was 'I have a blue sticker because I am still considered a dependent of my father who is a retired from the USAF as a Lt Colonel.

Before I had a chance to respond to his comment a retired Navy Master Chief(E-9) promptly chewed this kids ass out calling him a smart mouth snot nose Air Force officers little baby and put him in his place.

Edited by tnny
  • Upvote 1