Obama administration asks for 10% military budget cut

Magnum

From Fox News.com

The Obama administration has asked the military's Joint Chiefs of Staff to cut the Pentagon's budget request for the fiscal year 2010 by more than 10 percent -- about $55 billion -- a senior U.S. defense official tells FOX News.

Last year's defense budget was $512 billion. Service chiefs and planners will be spending the weekend "burning the midnight oil" looking at ways to cut the budget -- looking especially at weapons programs, the defense official said.

Some overall budget figures are expected to be announced Monday.

Obama met Friday at the White House with a small group of military advisers, including Admiral Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs, Gen. James Cartwright, vice chairman, and Gen. Jim Jones, National Security Council chairman.

So much for new jets huh?

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Hueypilot812

I guess that master Herk plan is going into the garbage can...ie, J-models for Dyess and Yokota, and AMP the rest...

The thread about the F-22 will be moot too, since I don't see the Obama administration buying any more of those, and we'll be lucky to ever see the F-35, or any more aircraft beyond the original KC-X proposal.

If we're really lucky, maybe we'll get the DoD budget under $300 billion by the time Obama is ready to leave office...

**note, I'm being sarcastic with that last statement.

While I agree this is an odd request, I do think it is wise to be more fiscally responsible as an air force. By doing this, we will hopefully get the best weapon systems possible that meet the need of the customer. However, I know what I just said is wishful thinking. We will still have useless programs that will suck up money faster than it can be alloted. I also wonder why they say 10%. Is this a round number, or is someone just blindly requesting this amount. What will the 10% saved be spent on? Bailouts would be my guess, and we'll continue to use all of our older equipment.

Tankers? We don't need no stinkin' Tankers!

Time to pull the E-models out of the boneyard, I suppose.

And maybe the 111s, green 75-77 model A-10s, a few squadrons of F-4s, and the 130Es for that matter too....

http://www.reuters.com/article/latestCrisis/idUSN30409490

""It's hard to see how we could spend less on the military in the near term," Richard Danzig, a former Navy secretary who advises Obama on national security, told Reuters in an interview."

This was June of last year. Guess the Messiah wasn't being honest. Only took him 10 days to reverse this policy.

Q: Is the 10% off the baseline DoD budget or the baseline plus supplemental? I know what the article said, but worth asking the question.

I was wondering this as well. I guess we can cut the budget by 10% but then request another $100b+ "emergency" supplemental when we realize we don't have nearly enough cash? By the way, I love the notion of several hundred billion dollars worth of "emergency" DoD funds. What a crafty way of hiding money from the CNN eye...

Now this is the change I can believe in. This gives me hope.

YES WE CAN! YES WE CAN! YES WE CAN!

I don't care is Obama wants it or not, lets lead the way and get rid of the USAFA, the Thunderbirds, Tops in BLue, and every band but one (let them pick). It may not be 10% (or even close)...but boy it would be a nice step..cut the gay sh!t first, then see what we still need to do.

Hey, Caveman didn't stick up for Obama on this one yet, what the deuce? He must be researching his justification for the cut.

...wait for it....wait for it...still waiting...wait for it...

Guest CAVEMAN
Hey, Caveman didn't stick up for Obama on this one yet, what the deuce? He must be researching his justification for the cut.

...wait for it....wait for it...still waiting...wait for it...

Caveman does not sit behind the computer on weekends.

I have no justification brother. What was everyone thinking? Those that voted for him (BeerMan) because of his pre-election stance on the military are going to be shocked.

The only problem I have is that they will transfer this 10 % cut to something else.

I never said Obama was the Messiah. I think Democrats are as ######ed up as Republicans. Republicans ######ed it up for 8 years so let the Democrats have their way. When they ###### it up, the Republicans will come back to try and fix it. We will continue to do this until someone gets it right.

For that small a cut, big acquisition programs already in the works do not get the axe. This 10% will probably affect things like Joint Exercises and Joint Training. I do not think a 10% budget cut will significantly impact our readiness

The anticipated cut back on troop strength in Iraq could be a justification.

Caveman does not sit behind the computer on weekends.

I have no justification brother. What was everyone thinking? Those that voted for him (BeerMan) because of his pre-election stance on the military are going to be shocked.

The only problem I have is that they will transfer this 10 % cut to something else.

I never said Obama was the Messiah. I think Democrats are as ######ed up as Republicans. Republicans ######ed it up for 8 years so let the Democrats have their way. When they ###### it up, the Republicans will come back to try and fix it. We will continue to do this until someone gets it right.

For that small a cut, big acquisition programs already in the works do not get the axe. This 10% will probably affect things like Joint Exercises and Joint Training. I do not think a 10% budget cut will significantly impact our readiness

The anticipated cut back on troop strength in Iraq could be a justification.

But there ya are right on point. Couldn't go to bed without coming on here to find out what they said tonight about your boy, could ya? :)

Guest CAVEMAN
Uh....is any news outlet besides Fox News reporting on this?

This article seems very flimsy, hastily written, no concrete sources, and no other news sources saying the same thing.

I had already posted my comment before it occured to me that this might just be a Fox News bullcrap!! Yeap, it is.

It is not uncommon for Republicans on here to read something inaccurate and run with it. Expect this for the next 4 years. Democrats do the same thing.

Mind you, this is just a proposal and it is yet to pass through Congress.

Guest Simone'sDaddy
I don't care is Obama wants it or not, lets lead the way and get rid of the USAFA, the Thunderbirds, Tops in BLue, and every band but one (let them pick). It may not be 10% (or even close)...but boy it would be a nice step..cut the gay sh!t first, then see what we still need to do.

If you toss in 50" LCD monitors splashed around so the orderly room resembles a sports bar, I bet we could make that 10% figure. Also, I'm not sure what purpose is being served by getting Academy cadets master jump wings, but I bet it sure is fun.

Guest NotAPilot

Don't know what the Air Force Uniform Board's budget is but I'm sure it is waaaaay to big. We could probably do without them altogether. I doubt AAFES is a self-sustaining organization. We could let them go and contract that out to a company that will actually be beneficial.

Lower fuel prices have probably more than covered the 10% already.

Guest flyingstix101

Defensenews.com has an article on the front page stating the same thing quoting Sen Carl Levin wanting to cut among other things the missile-defense program. Of course he wouldn't say what else would be cut but like everyone is assuming, the F-22 is right up there.

Oh yeah, our squardon also spent money on those gucci 50"LCD TVs intending to display the flying schedule, but they hang on the walls unused and without a power cord hooked up so you can't even watch ESPN.

Edited by flyingstix101

We definitely need to stop buying the huge flat screens... especially when we are replacing the "out dated" ones from two years ago that haven't been used. If we do that we might have enough money to say, I don't know buy new flight suits and boots that we never seem to have money for.

Guest flyingstix101

Yeah but don't those huge flatscreens always show up at the end of the fiscal year when the scramble ensues to spend the last few bucks in the budget?