Leadership at the 'Deid

Toro

The leadership problem in the USAF in one paragraph:

~10 years ago, pre 9/11, all the good dudes in the air force (pilot-wise) were getting out to enjoy a lucrative airline career. Douchebags who were not personable enough to pass an airline interview remained in the AF, as well as navigators. These mediocre individuals (sorry Nav's...) are our current 0-6s and above. I'm hoping that maybe it will swing the other way in 5 years or so now that the airlines haven't doing as well and the Air Force has (hopefully) been able to retain some decent individuals.

Edited by PitHerk

On the PT uniform not being professional comment from above... In preparation for this :rainbow: defense exercise coming up; our crews were shuttled over to be handed a C-1 bag, dump it out, check off a list, hand it back, and receieve a tag. I won't elaborate on the utter uselessness of this fuitile exercise, but I'll say this: Our crew decided to show up in PTs and were met with scorn by the shoes handing the gear out. "Did you guys just have group PT? Why aren't you in uniform?" "Well, probably because this is ridiculous... and I thought it was a uniform I am supposed to tuck in and wear properly?"

This base defense exercise is nonsense. Aren't exercises for home station? No regard to the mission at all. Luckily I am flying the day of it and will display my exemption card with pride. Here's hoping I get stopped on the way to the cadilliac by someone way too excited to be running an ORE.

We also had a guy getting pulled out of things to coordinate wingman week. Missed two flights, and had his sleep after a couple others cut short to go to meetings for it. When he got feedback after the fact, he was emailed suggestions like "We should have a wingman month" and that "wingman week is an important part of our mission here."

I'd love to ask those brilliant minds what exactly our mission is... My guess is that they don't have a freakin clue.

This place is seriously close to becoming completely unglued.

Guest Buckeye
...he was emailed suggestions like "We should have a wingman month" and that "wingman week is an important part of our mission here."

I can't wait till this wingman concept goes the way of TQM. Has all of this hoopla changed anyone's behavior? I mean looking out for your fellow crew dogs is an integral part of herk culture anyway.

I've been out of the Herk for a while...but YGBFKM! They were doing this same sh*t 5 years ago! I understand for the first time deployers, but why is it that no one has yet figured out that air crews and their MX/support folks have been there done that 5+ times already and they aren't FNGs coming into theater?

What gets me the most is that all the O-6 types that were squadron CCs and DOs back then when we were bitching about doing it 5 years ago are the ones running the show now and STILL doing the same sh*t that annoyed us back then! What has changed since I was here 4 months ago that you have to send me to a bunch of briefings about services that I ignored the last time I was there?! Could it be to re-emphasize the reflective belt or PT wear policy? Perhaps it is the white socks at the DFAC policy? No? The flip flops to the Cadillac policy? Because who could ever forget such ridiculous rules from the LAST time I was here....

Why can't flying units just be an expeditionary tenant units (ETUs) so we don't have to put up with the BS anymore. I'd even live in a tent again just to not have to deal with being treated like a 5 year old.

AIR FORCE: "Mr Pilot, why are you getting out?"

MR PILOT: "Because I graduated Kindergarten 25 years ago..."

Usually when the wind blows from the south or southeast. VERY large camel herds roam the desert in that direction and they smell like...well...Shit.

Cooter

Wow, so it really IS manure, huh? Interesting. Well, at least I know my bullshit detector still works (literally)

This base defense exercise is nonsense. Aren't exercises for home station? No regard to the mission at all. Luckily I am flying the day of it and will display my exemption card with pride. Here's hoping I get stopped on the way to the cadilliac by someone way too excited to be running an ORE.

So let me get this straight....they are running Operational Readiness Exercises at an expeditionary wing?? YGBSM. So if an ORE/ORI is to test your ability to prepare and deploy for a war....what is an ORE in the combat zone for? To test your ability to go to DOUBLE SECRET WAR?!

The people running the USAF, and the 379 AEW in particular, have completely lost their minds.

Well, if you don't have an exercise how can we ensure people know how to wear a gas mask? They don't teach that kind of thing at basic training do they? Seriously, half the base should have an ATO exemption pass, seeing as how half the base at last count was supposedly accomplishing the mission.

Apparently one of these recent night time dorm raids found the OG/CC reading some writing on somebody's white board that she did not like. Didn't like it enough to pull the entire dorm in uniform and read them their rights and threaten Article 15s. (Have heard varying accounts, but this seems to be the truth.)

Honestly, it depends on what was on that board. I can think of quite a few things that could be written on there that would be completely unacceptable namely racist, sexual, or crude things. I can see article 15s on that if they were written/drawn by someone in a position of authority.

Outside of that, um...guys at the 'deid are allegedly in a war zone. I did the calculations and the center of the runway is 2 minutes and 14 seconds away from Iranian airspace at Mach 2. These guys are at the edge of harm's way. I'm not saying chem drills and bomb preparation are necessary, but let's treat it like a combat area not some rear-echelon resort where the rules are all messed up. Treat people like adults and they will act like adults. Treat people like children and they will reduce themselves to that denominator.

With the guy who stood up for us in the briefing, thank you. These "good ideas" need to be more properly vetted instead of a bunch of yes men passing ideas through staff with no critical thought attached. If the boss asks for your input, give it to him/her, but when the boss says "Go." you should back them up because it's the right thing to do. They take responsibility for the decision, right or wrong. Such is the "mystery" of command. :-)

As for the SF guys organizing things, I see no problem there if these guys did it in their spare time (spare time seems to be a problem in and of itself, why are you in a war zone if you aren't there to work?). I know some people who worked 12 hour days 5 days a week with two days off. I worked (as did many of you) 7 days a week with 12 hours as the minimum.

So let me get this straight....they are running Operational Readiness Exercises at an expeditionary wing?? YGBSM. So if an ORE/ORI is to test your ability to prepare and deploy for a war....what is an ORE in the combat zone for? To test your ability to go to DOUBLE SECRET WAR?!

The people running the USAF, and the 379 AEW in particular, have completely lost their minds.

I love it... just watched that the other day by the way. And you're right.

BTW, "fights on" came early. Everyone is supposed to be in "Mopp 0" right now I guess. My crew exemption sign is up and until I go to crew rest, I'm either not going out into this zoo, or wearing PTs and saying I'm on my way to the caddy. First glance outside though; it appears most aren't adhering. Although I did see a few with their web belts on.

There ought to be some kind of entertainment come out of this.

Guest mjk5401

I just want to say, another 60 down, how many more, who knows, but thank God I'm out of here before the bunker drills begin. SEE YA!

PS. I'll give anyone my three beers who runs into the bunkers and accidentally sits down on a used rubber left over from some Airman. lol Have fun with that.

Guest Sebastian
I just want to say, another 60 down, how many more, who knows, but thank God I'm out of here before the bunker drills begin. SEE YA!

PS. I'll give anyone my three beers who runs into the bunkers and accidentally sits down on a used rubber left over from some Airman. lol Have fun with that.

wait...take me with you!

btw, Airman don't use condoms. They only sell them at the shoppette so people can use them as ballons for the grand opening of Starbucks.

Wait.... Sex..., in the AOR?? That's unpossible!

Treat people like adults and they will act like adults. Treat people like children and they will reduce themselves to that denominator.

The "treat people like adults" is spot on. I feel like a kid at some kind of camp for f^ck ups sometimes.

Everytime one person shits their pants; everyone has to wear a diaper.

Osan is closer than that to the DMZ, and we're still at war with the North. By the way, you don't get hostile fire pay or CZTE in Korea (as you shouldn't just for showing up at al Udeid.) You all do realize that soldiers go there (well As Sayliyah anyway) to recreate and get away from the real war? AUAB very much is a rear echelon resort, and very much isn't at the edge of harm's way.

Also when you say SF is organizing things, I assume you mean USAF security forces and not actual SF. I get what you are saying though.

By SF I mean Security Forces. If you mean Special Forces, most AFSOC folks I know avoid referring to them as SF to avoid that confusion.

Of course I realize that soldiers go there (well As Sayliyah anyway) to recreate and get away, but that's like saying the guys in Guam and Diego Garcia aren't in the real war. Many of them certainly are, but they are out of reach from most countries. Please note that I said they were at the EDGE of harm's way. I guess I could have been more specific. I mean they are just outside of it, not inside it. If anything kicks off with Iran, you can bet your @$$ that they will be in the middle of it.

As for Korea, I wasn't talking about Korea, but last time I checked, we weren't bombing North Korea out of Osan. According to the A1/J1 I talked with, that is the primary reason the whole base gets the pay is because the guys flying out of there fly into the kitty litter (a.k.a. sandbox): it is easier to classify an entire base than to separate those specific fliers and crew and pax and... who qualify for it. On top of that, they are running a no $#!+ war. My point was not that it isn't nice there (it certainly is and the Air Force does a great job taking care of its folks in many ways), but that we SHOULDN'T treat it like a resort. We should treat it like a combat zone. Guys shouldn't be working a 5 day week with 2 days off (at least not without approved leave). First Sergeants shouldn't be getting e-mails from other Shirts asking "We're gonna go walk around the BRA and check people for uniform violations. Wanna come with us?" (True Story!) We should be focused on the mission. If guys have some down time and can boost morale, so be it, but we are here to work, not have fun. Guys coming back to the 'Deid for R&R just goes to show how well the AF treats our troops and how desirable an AF assignment is

Everytime one person shits their pants; everyone has to wear a diaper.

I was the one who said it, but I'm gonna have to voice my support for this one over my own!

If we can get over this mentality, life will seem easier for everyone and will be much less adversarial.

Edited by BQZip01

• 3 weeks later...

Here's the latest and greatest from your Leadership at the 'Deid. Apparently the 500 lights in CC have all gone dark at the same time. Reflective belts must be worn during the hours of darkness no matter the uniform in CC. Doesn't matter if you're walking from your lodging to the smoke pit, you better be able to be seen.

Let me tell you what I think of this policy.... :flipoff::flipoff::flipoff:

:vomit::vomit::vomit:

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Safety_Slides_____Reflective_Belts___Riding_in_Beds_of_Trucks.ppt

Edited by capt4fans

Bump...for all of you coming to the Deid, better have at least 3 refelctive belts packed in your gear.

Enjoy......I'm boycotting the policy until I get called out...then I'm going to pull the reflective belt out of my jacket pocket, and say, "Sorry, I forgot to put it back on after I left the chow hall."

Let's see how well that one goes over with a Shirt or two.

Here's the latest and greatest from your Leadership at the 'Deid. Apparently the 500 lights in CC have all gone dark at the same time. Reflective belts must be worn during the hours of darkness no matter the uniform in CC. Doesn't matter if you're walking from your lodging to the smoke pit, you better be able to be seen.

Let me tell you what I think of this policy.... :flipoff::flipoff::flipoff:

:vomit::vomit::vomit:

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

You need to be reflective if you're nowhere near a road...why?

...in an alleged combat zone?

Pardon me for asking such questions, but it doesn't seem to make much sense to me. I mean if you are walking near a road with no sidewalks, that's one thing, but if you aren't near a car...

...and what about PT gear? It already has reflective properties to it. 3 years ago they realized that and said you didn't have to wear them with PT gear, but I guess that logic has skipped a tour and we're back to this **** again

Wow, I left just in time... Although I'll be back soon enough.

We had a guy on our crew while there who hooked up a bunch of red and green Christmas lights to his belt. He wore a little battery pack on his hip and had them all over the belt. In the dark you would just see some lights bouncing up and down from a distance.

I would often walk places with him for no reason just hoping a shirt would stop him. He's wearing his belt! Where does it say you can't add flair?

Wow, I left just in time... Although I'll be back soon enough.

We had a guy on our crew while there who hooked up a bunch of red and green Christmas lights to his belt. He wore a little battery pack on his hip and had them all over the belt. In the dark you would just see some lights bouncing up and down from a distance.

I would often walk places with him for no reason just hoping a shirt would stop him. He's wearing his belt! Where does it say you can't add flair?

I'm waiting for the five point reflective belt harness, linked together with the manpurse ID holder. That will be a sight to see.