New Uniforms

Guest Rainman A-10

Guest Rainman A-10
Originally posted by M2:

What's wrong with you guys, am I the only one with hair on my chest/ass/balls/whatever?

Tell me we're not going there...

From the AF Times Article:

“The ABUs do that,” she said. “The service dress now doesn’t have anything with the [new] Air Force symbol on it … This uniform [proposal] has more of a look at heritage and history of the U.S. Air Force.”

Oh for God's sake. Just because you douchebags came up with a "new" Air Force Logo a few years ago, it doesn't mean you have to redesign every single damn uniform to reflect it. As for a quick reality check, the new AF logo has always sucked anyway.

How about we focus a little more on functionality and wear as opposed to doing our damndest to start some stupid tradition.

All of these generals want all of this "heritage" and never seem to realize that they're preventing themselves from meeting their goal by changing our damn uniform every five years.

On a seperate note, this is such a bullshit PR move. My money says they were planning on springing the damn things on us. But thankfully those pictures leaked so at least the masses can attempt to get a word in.

HD

[ 17. May 2006, 11:44: Message edited by: HerkDerka ]

Guest Dactyl
Originally posted by Hydro130:

What's with the belts?

They're there to hold our cell phones, modems, PDAs, Garmin handhelds, and laser pointers so we can effectively fight in cyberspace.

Guest Rainman A-10
Originally posted by Dactyl:

so we can effectively fight in cyberspace.

HA! The battle for cyberspace superiority.

Soon the front line USAF warriors will be Moderators deleting enemy targets instead of fighter pilots killing them.

Bomber guys bring laptops in their jets, maybe they can lead the way in the transformation of our warriors.

Maybe we can just pack the back of AWACS with moderators, deleting offensve targets at will!

Think of the possibilities...

I love what this new uniform has started!

Guest USAFMSC0091

It is obvious from several of the previous posts that Gen. Moseley is correct when he states we have no sense of our own history. I LOVE the new uniforms. They are a stroke of genius!

The redesigned Class A is great and the addition of the prop and wings on the lower collar is a fitting tribute to Hap Arnold. The Mitchell uniform is not "space age" but rather an excellent modern rendition of the early Air Corps uniform.

I've read several posts referring to the band collar design as a "Marine" collar. That collar design was used on U.S. military dress uniforms in the 1700s and was used until the early part of the 20th century. It belongs to all the services. It was the style of the first dress uniforms worn by the U.S. Army Air Corps (think Air Force prior to 1947). The Marines do not own the design. Look at the Navy dress whites. It also has a band collar.

Personally, I favor an adoption of the Class A (with the prop and wings, but trim the collar so it won't obscure "the rack" and eliminate the male tie on the female uniform). I also favor an adoption of the Mitchell style as a "Dress Blue" to be worn in place of the ridiculous "semi-formal" worn by enlisted members who have not purchased a mess dress. In other words, don't just choose one, but both! Keep the richer color blue we have now. It looks better than the "chalky" blue worn in the 50s and 60s and looks great in pictures.

If you doubt the inspiration of the new uniform styles, check out the pictures from the Air Force's official website - the HISTORY section.

http://www.af.mil/history/people.asp?dec=Early_Years

http://www.af.mil/photos/index.asp?galleryID=158&page=2

[ 18. May 2006, 18:28: Message edited by: USAFMSC0091 ]

Disclaimer: I know my opinion means $hit, but hopefully one day I'll be wearing one of these things so, thought I woudl chime in)

Speaking of Uniforms I would like to see the dark blue long sleeve shirt brought back, anyone know why it was phased out? And someone mentioned bringing back the khacki dress uniform, that would be awesome for a optional dress uniform, but I liked the older style before they changed it to what they have now.

Bishop

If you remember those dark, long-sleeve shirts, your memory does go way back. I actually wore one as late as the mid-80's, and I believe they were phased out shortly afterward (85?). I was at MHAFB at the time and during the winter that was a great shirt, it was a wool blend if I remember correctly. It was a pretty sharp shirt and I don't know why it was phased out, but it was too warm for most climates; but I think it was a better look than the thin, light blue shirts we wore.

And I agree with Rain's comments ("I believe you should be ready and willing to fight at the drop of a hat...") and our leadership should be more focused on getting that part right than in the way we look. If you look at any of the real ground warriors (CCTs, PJs, Army SF, etc), they are usually quite scrubby-looking but kickass at what they do. If they get the job done, then who gives a shit what the corporate image is?

Cheers! M2

Last July-Aug time there were some high up people at Alpha Sierra looking at getting those 2 piece flight suits like the gunship guys have and giving it to the aircrew on the slicks at the same base, I left in Sept and haven't heard anything about it since. Not sure it would have been worth it because I sweat no matter what I was wearing over there.

I saw a rescue crew in the AOR waering the Army desert ABDUs. The straight up tan looked good. I was envious of the ability to take off the top while preflighting when it's 110+ outside.

The woodland camo ones, on the other hand, looked kind of messed up, like a set of BDU's that didn't fit right.

I wish they would just leave well-enough alone.

Better yet, when you deploy, you should be able to pick what you want. Tan flight suit, sure. Two piece flight suit, no problem. Who really gives a damn as long as the mission gets done. Oh, but the Sarn't Majors and the First Shirts wouldn't be able to yell at you or enforce the "Pride Patrol" if we all looked different.

Same goes for the Sevice Dress. The current one sucks, but at least we all have it now. I got commissioned right after the sleeve rank went away. I had to buy the new service dress and then a "conversion kit" to put epaulets on it. Leave it alone for a few more years. Divert the funds into the Raptor program/keeping the BUFFS/a new tanker/Thunderbirds marketing/whatever.

CH, I hope the new flight suit isn't tiger striped. If they are, just lie to me and tell me they aren't.

BTW, did anyone look closely in the pics of the new service dress? All of the buttons have the Hap Arnold logo on them and not the uber electric chicken new AF logo.

Small victories.

[ 20. May 2006, 14:10: Message edited by: Scooter14 ]

Originally posted by ClearedHot:

How would you feel if I told you one of the ideas that has yet to hit the street involves changing the flightsuit to look like the new ACU's.

CH, what would we do without our favorite spy. We may not be able to change the stupidity rolling down the hill, but at least we'll know it's coming, and maybe even get out of the way.

Wow, is all I can say regarding this. I think I wasted all of my energy on the service dress. But if this crap is being considered as well, then I don't feel mad at the brass, I just feel sorry for them.

You have to admit all of this "look at us" crap is starting to look like 5 year old adopted kid trying to get attention from his older, taller, bigger, better brothers who refuse to look down at him. Sad.

HD

[ 20. May 2006, 14:12: Message edited by: HerkDerka ]

The best part about the two piece flight suit is not completely undressing to take drop a deuce. It also has extra pockets that are nice if you're not wearing a g-suit. I haven't deployed when it's hot yet, but soon will. I'm sure I'm gonna love taking off the top, assuming the higher ups don't get pissed and make us get rid of them.

Originally posted by Scooter14:

BTW, did anyone look closely in the pics of the new service dress? All of the buttons have the Hap Arnold logo on them and not the uber electric chicken new AF logo.

Small victories.

The current service coat has the Hap Arnold logo on them. Or are you saying it's a small victory that they kept it on there, cuz yes, if they put that stupid chicken logo on there....

Mambo,

It's a small victory they kept it on there. I'm happy they didn't change it. I'm a big fan of the Hap Arnold logo, it's about the only thing we have left that ties us to the Army Air Corps and our past. I was super pissed when they came up with that stupid new logo. They throw it on everything, the new PT uniform, powerpoint slides, etc. They paid some marketing firm 6.9 gajillion dollars to make it up, so I'm surprised they didn't try to throw it in there somewhere.

Very poorly timed idea to make the new "heritage" uniforms, but good on them for at least trying to kick it old school.

Guest Rainman A-10
Originally posted by busdriver:

The best part about the two piece flight suit is not completely undressing to take drop a deuce.

Amen.

You haven't lived until you've had a nice pisser and shitter combo like this.

There are good and bad parts of living like this.

Bad news, it smells.

Good news, people get pissed if you ARE wearing a "shoot me first" reflective belt. 100% NO REMF zone. No mewling, Warriors only.

Piss Tubes

10cmfj6.jpg

Smells good!

10cn192.jpg

JP-8 + Shit = Smoking Turd

14nfte0.jpg

[ 17. June 2006, 06:44: Message edited by: Toro ]

Originally posted by Space Monkey:

This will be on the cover of the AF Times in

Anyone with a subscription to airforcetimes.com care to paste the new front page article?

Amazing how they manage to mention "how you can influence the final choice" in every PR release within the last week.

That plus such quick talk about the "final choice" leads me to believe the brass was going to spring it on us with the decisions already made.

Also consider that whoever "leaked" the original pics HAD to know they would be caught. I mean a closed door meeting can't have more than one photographer. That or they might just be dumb as shit.

But then again I loves me a good conspiracy.

HD

Guest pimpjuice22

Do we know who took these photo's? Did they get in to trouble? Do we know for sure that they were going to spring these on us?

end of questions

Guest ELan

Here is my influence. The Air Forces priorities are F@CK#D!!! PT Gear, reflective belts, new bdu's, ORI's during a war and now new dress uniforms that we all get to pay out of pocket for. I hope some of you top heads read this post, because let me speak to you from majority of the people at my unit. GET YOUR PRIORITIES STRAIGHT!!!!

Oh, and everyone who is like "I like this, I want this...", please do us a favor and stop, because you are only helping to encourage them.

I love to see the term SNAP in all these forums, because all the stupid sensative new age crap I see seems to be coming from the top of the air force....

Rant switch off!!

P.S. - F@CK!!!!!!!!!!!