Dumbness At Columbus?

Guest Burrito

Guest Burrito

So apparently some stud from 09-09 overspeed his t-6 checking in inverted during his area solo. Anyone know the details of this? Sounds like a dumb way to end your short Air Force career?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No idea if it's true or not, but...

Are UPT studs now fair game to get roasted by the peanut gallery for checking into the airspace inverted (by the way, nothing illegal about that)....that's been a USAF UPT student tradition for thousands of years!

YGTBSM

Guest soflguy
How is this going to end his career in the Air Force?

It won't... he'll hook his ride - get talked to - and go on. It happened to a dude here at Vance about 6-9 months ago and he just hooked and kept going. Lack of SA does not equal losing your chance at getting wings.

Guest wildblue
how the hell do you overspeed just by rolling inverted?

He pulled back instead of rolling back upright.

How is this going to end his career in the Air Force?

Second time its happened in 2 months from the same squadron. Last time it happened everyone was told the next kid to overspeed his jet reporting in inverted would get the boot...

Isn't the Vne on the t-6 315 kts? How the hell did he get that fast before recovering?

I was wondering the same thing.

Should've been flying the Tweet! :beer: You couldn't overspeed that plane headed straight down from 30K feet!

Second time its happened in 2 months from the same squadron. Last time it happened everyone was told the next kid to overspeed his jet reporting in inverted would get the boot...

Our squadron CC said he was done, sounds like he's being made an example of.

If I had a dollar for every time I heard this....

Ever heard the one about how your wings will survive a mistake in the air, but not one on the ground??? It is B.S.ipppuh.gif

I can think of one airframe in particular that had a rash of ground incidents... let's see, hit a fence, hit and knocked down a tree (8ft 6in in on the wing), hit another parked aircraft, another fence, and more fire bottles than I can count. Worst punishment for these crews... Q3/1. Back in the saddle the next day. I believe it was Gen Handy who said "next person to run an airplane into something is going to have a very bad day"... It happened again, same result Q-3/1.

I think they are just putting some kid through the "scared straight" program. If they are not, they are "shoe clerks"!

Edited by Nole_96

Guest NotAPilot

Perhaps the said individual should be billed for the cost of the flight. You want to play as if the airplane belonged to you, OK. You just rented it. The fuel cost alone should be an attention getter. Ground personnel have had this practiced upon them for a long time. Oh, you were doing something you weren't supposed to be doing when you broke your arm, here's the bill. Same same.

Perhaps the said individual should be billed for the cost of the flight. You want to play as if the airplane belonged to you, OK. You just rented it. The fuel cost alone should be an attention getter. Ground personnel have had this practiced upon them for a long time. Oh, you were doing something you weren't supposed to be doing when you broke your arm, here's the bill. Same same.

What you talkin bout Willis?

THERE IS NOTHING ILLEGAL ABOUT MAKING A RADIO CALL INVERTED. It's not dangerous. It's not reckless. For fuks sake!

If he can't control his airplane to the point that he oversped it, than his IPs can give him crap for that. But how on earth can you give him crap for a radio call?

And no, dude...it's not "same, same" as a line of duty determination for medical bills (which, by the way, applies to ALL military personnel, not just ground personnel). Get a grip. We don't (and, for that matter, can't) fine people in the military if they screw up (without it being a crime).

I was wondering the same thing.

Should've been flying the Tweet! :beer: You couldn't overspeed that plane headed straight down from 30K feet!

Beat me to it!!! The tweet will not tell on you! :thumbsup:

Edited by SocialD

True story. Apparently he misunderstood the "check-in inverted" thing and performed a split-s and over sped the plane while checking in. The SQ/CC sent his paperwork to the Wing King for CRB and removal from training. Still :rainbow: however!

Edited by aviator77

My IP oversped the T-6 on one of my contact rides doing a HAPL of all things. We got the red line and the beeping, he didn't really know what it meant so he asked and I said "Sir, I think we just oversped the jet..." We continued the sortie and after landing he told MX about it. They barely looked it over and cleared it for flight. Didn't seem like a big deal.

There was another kid that Over-G'd when I was in UPT. He reset the G-meter after it happened, but then freaked out and decided he didn't want to look like he was covering it up since the G-meters in front/rear wouldn't match, so he set up again and over G'd a second time. I think he's flying jets for the Navy now.

Guest soflguy
I guess subtlety and sarcasm shouldn't be used at the same time?!?!

It was really more in response to the OP and his question... just happened to hit reply on yours... easy fido.

Edit: for slight seplling retadation...

Edited by soflguy

He reset the G-meter after it happened, but then freaked out and decided he didn't want to look like he was covering it up since the G-meters in front/rear wouldn't match, so he set up again and over G'd a second time.

Nice.

Guest 10MAN
My IP oversped the T-6 on one of my contact rides doing a HAPL of all things. We got the red line and the beeping, he didn't really know what it meant so he asked and I said "Sir, I think we just oversped the jet..." We continued the sortie and after landing he told MX about it. They barely looked it over and cleared it for flight. Didn't seem like a big deal.

I hereby speculate that you, Sir, are full of shit. :nob: I've been in the T-6 business for nearly five years...1 year of it training IPs at the PIT schoolhouse. I cannot believe this happened the way you've described. Please tell me this is a "10% story." There is not a T-6 IP walking the Earth that doesn't know what the "red line and the beeping is". Please clarify, or your new Delta Tau Chi name will be Bull Shit vs. Buddy Spike.

Edited by 10MAN

I can think of one airframe in particular that had a rash of ground incidents... let's see, hit a fence, hit and knocked down a tree (8ft 6in in on the wing), hit another parked aircraft, another fence, and more fire bottles than I can count. Worst punishment for these crews... Q3/1. Back in the saddle the next day. I believe it was Gen Handy who said "next person to run an airplane into something is going to have a very bad day"... It happened again, same result Q-3/1.

141s?