Fighter Pilot Poser...pt Iii

Guest Blu4

Got this from one of my bros in the 90th up at Elmendorf. Apparently, they've been getting a slew of calls to their Ops Desk from folks in the greater Atlanta area wanting to get in touch with "1Lt Adam Moore" who is selling a vehicle. The vehicle varies with each phone call, but they are insistent that the individual provided an Elmendorf e-mail address (adam.moore@elmendorf.af.mil) in addition to a civilian e-mail, but that they've been unable to reach him via the military e-mail, and their phone calls have gone unanswered. So they make a call to Elmendorf, get the number for the 90th, and ask for this guy, who is not assigned to the 90th. The Dicemen finally got tired of repeatedly explaining that there is no "Adam Moore," and have now turned it over to SFS.

I thought the crack exposure team at BaseOps might want to take a look...this one is doubly painful, in my opinion, because not only is the individual scamming as a USAF fighter pilot, but he's trying to con people out of money. Apparently one of the more recent callers was Army, and forwarded this e-mail on to the folks in the squadron:

Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 17:54:04 +1000

To: ***deleted...Army guy's address***

Subject: 1998 BMW Z3 - $4,200

Hello,

I want to apologize for the late reply but I work as a pilot currently

stationed at Elmendorf Air Force Base in Alaska and I was unable to check my

e-mail until now.

The car is located in Atlanta, GA it's in good running condition with zero

mechanical/electrical problems and comes with a clear title.

I almost had it sold but when I got back in Atlanta to meet the buyer he

didn't show up. I received an email from him two days later letting me know

that his loan didn't get approved. I don't want to go through the same thing

again so this is what I suggest:

You need to go to a MoneyGram office along with a relative or a trusty

friend. You can locate the nearest office at :

http://www.moneygram.com/eFindUs/findUs.do .

MoneyGram is a simple method of transferring cash from one place to another

and the best part is that your friend or relative will be the Sender of the

money and you will be the Receiver in Atlanta, GA.

This way you will have total control of your money, since you are the

Receiver you are the only one that can pick them up!

I will be 100% sure that you are a serious buyer and you will come in

Atlanta, GA because once the money is sent you have to be there to pick them

up.

Once you show me a photo or a scan copy of the MoneyGram receipt in the

amount of $4,200 in your name, I'll fly back home so we can close this deal

in person.

We will meet in Atlanta and have the car inspected by a mechanic to confirm

it's in perfect condition as described.

After we sign the paperwork we will go togheter to a MoneyGram location

where you can pick up the money and pay me in cash.

1st Lt. Adam Moore

90th Fighter Squadron

Elmendorf AFB, AK (USAF)

PICS AND DETAILS AVAILABLE AT:

http://www.ebiz-kmm52383.com/i/fsbo-s/1998/bmw/z3/

Guest HercengTN

The pictures of the car were definately not taken in Atlanta or Alaska. If you look closely there are a couple big palm trees and one small one by the fence.

The pictures of the car were definately not taken in Atlanta or Alaska. If you look closely there are a couple big palm trees and one small one by the fence.

In one picture the radio station is set to 93.9- a quick google of 93.9 FM turns up these possible cities (we can eliminate the cities that don't typically have palm trees- i.e. Detroit, Wichita, etc):

Miami, FL

Burbank, CA

Honolulu, HI

Chico, CA

Jackson, MS

Just a start at least.

Edited by Vertigo

Guest AltazanSW

A quick google of the VIN tracks back to an expired Canadian e-bay ad. I tried breaking down the WWW address, It goes to the Yahoo! autos site. None of the pics match up with the current Z3's for sale

A quick google of the VIN tracks back to an expired Canadian e-bay ad. I tried breaking down the WWW address, It goes to the Yahoo! autos site. None of the pics match up with the current Z3's for sale

He tried to sell it on Ebay... I searched: "44,799 ORIGINAL MILES" BMW

and google gave me the same ebay sale with the exact same wording in the google result:

1998 BMW Z3 Roadster 2.8L 6 Cylinder Engine, Automatic Transmission. One of the nicest Z3's I've ever seen! This Beemer only has 44799 ORIGINAL MILES

Note, that the one difference is in the originally posted site, he states "one of the nicest Z3's you've ever seen!"

but, I highly doubt the coincidence possibilities that someone else had a Z3 for sale on ebay with the same vin and used virtually the same wording and same milage.

Also, 93.9 is an Atlanta area radio station frequencybut I don't think there's a ton of palm trees in Atlanta from my memory.

http://www.939thescore.com/Programming/index.html

Edited by AEWingsMN

Guest tmickel

So what do you suppose the scam is -- you e-mail the guy a scanned copy of the Moneygram receipt, he makes up a fake ID and goes into the Moneygram office to get the money?

This might be a good one to send to the Atlanta PD -- they could set up a sting pretty easily.

I've bought and sold a few big ticket motorcycles, pinball machines and Guitars on Ebay, and craigslist, even one bike that went overseas. The big scam now is to copy the pictures and description from another Ebay account or website (which is now in proper english) and do three things with it.

1. Hack into someones account and try to sell the car, often going only for the 1000 dollar "Security Deposit"

2. Post the same Add on Craigslist changing the email

3. wait a few months and then repost on Ebay with their own account wanting you to contact them through Email to save on Ebay fees.

When you ask for a few more pictures they'll even have some they didn't post originally so it looks like they just went outside and took some more for you.

I saw my 1 of a kind motorcycle on Ebay that I had bought from CycleTrader when it was sitting in my garage. Someone had taken the description and pictures from that add and posted a rediculuously low buy it now price along with an immediate deposit of $500. It still took Ebay a few days to look into it before the add was removed.

I'll never buy anything I can't talk to the guy on the phone about, but even then you have to be careful. I have had someone in the past return my calls who was somewhat knowledgeable about the old Harley he was selling but he would not let my made up friend who happened to live 30 miles away in BFE Nebraska come over to take a look. Nor would he let me fly out and pick the bike up myself in a UHaul because he already made a deal with the shipper.

There are a ton of scams out there, be careful. Atlanta PD won't be able to do anything. That guy doesn't live in the states. His English is good but still very easy to tell it is a foreigner writing it.

Here is my latest EBay purchase. The guy talked for an hour about it as will anyone who actually has something big ticket to sell.

post-1072-1215874577_thumb.jpg

There are several of us in Atlanta on the forum, so I among others would be happy to send this info to the APD.

Also, there is no 93.9 in ATL, the one you posted AEWingsMN is in Alabama.

Close enough to the atlanta area that they have all of their sports stuff as Atlanta teams. I would assume that's close enough to drive the car to Atlanta easily to the prospective buyer.

Slightly different SPAM attempt:

- Dear Friend,I am Captain Brian Johnson of the US Marine Force on Monitoring and Peace-keeping mission in Baghdad-Iraq.On the 24th day of January 2007,we were alerted on the sudden presence of some Terrorists camping in a suburb not too far from Karbala here in Iraq .After Immediate intervention, we captured three(3)of the Terrorists, twenty-six (26) were killed leaving seven (7) injured.In the process of torture they confessed being rebels for late Ayman al-Zawahiri and took us to a cave in Karbala which served as their camp.Here we recovered several guns,bombs and other Ammunitions including some boxes among which two contains nuclear weapons,one filled with hard drugs(cocaine) and the other four to my amazement contain some US Dollars amounting to $17.2M(Seventeen Million Two Hundred Thousand Dollars)I and two of my junior intelligent officers counted them.I however instructed them to keep this in high secrecy.I am in keen need of a "Reliable and Trustworthy" person like you who would receive,secure and protect these boxes containing these US Dollars for me upon till my assignment elapses here in Iraq. I assure and promise to give you 10% of these funds,however feel free to negotiate what you wish to have as your percentage in this business.Please assure me of your keeping this topmost secret to protect my job with the US Monitoring and Peace-Keeping mission.Contact me through my personal email:(bjohnsonn2006@yahoo.co.jp)Sincere regards.Captain Brian Johnson

- Dear Friend,I am Captain Brian Johnson of the US Marine Force on Monitoring and Peace-keeping mission in Baghdad-Iraq.On the 24th day of January 2007,we were alerted on the sudden presence of some Terrorists camping in a suburb not too far from Karbala here in Iraq .After Immediate intervention, we captured three(3)of the Terrorists, twenty-six (26) were killed leaving seven (7) injured.In the process of torture they confessed being rebels for late Ayman al-Zawahiri and took us to a cave in Karbala which served as their camp.Here we recovered several guns,bombs and other Ammunitions including some boxes among which two contains nuclear weapons,one filled with hard drugs(cocaine) and the other four to my amazement contain some US Dollars amounting to $17.2M(Seventeen Million Two Hundred Thousand Dollars)I and two of my junior intelligent officers counted them.I however instructed them to keep this in high secrecy.I am in keen need of a "Reliable and Trustworthy" person like you who would receive,secure and protect these boxes containing these US Dollars for me upon till my assignment elapses here in Iraq. I assure and promise to give you 10% of these funds,however feel free to negotiate what you wish to have as your percentage in this business.Please assure me of your keeping this topmost secret to protect my job with the US Monitoring and Peace-Keeping mission.Contact me through my personal email:(bjohnsonn2006@yahoo.co.jp)Sincere regards.Captain Brian Johnson

At least he made it realistic.

EDIT: SARCASM ON...didn't really think I needed to explain that.

At least he made it realistic.

Did you forget the <sarcasm ON> tag? Or do you mean the Elmendorf guy made it realistic?

If neither: what is realistic about an officer in the USMC attempting to launder money without first concealing his identity? And what's realistic about someone who still needs help shifting $17.2m 18 months after he initially found it? Finally, is an 18 month+ tour realistic for a USMC Captain? Me thinks not.

If anyone falls for this, then they are both stupid and greedy. They deserve all that they get.

- Dear Friend,I am Captain Brian Johnson of the US Marine Force on Monitoring and Peace-keeping mission in Baghdad-Iraq.

Oh thats what I have been doing wrong. US Marine FORCE...USMF...damn I was wayyyy off.

Guest regularjoe
I may be greedy but I'm not stupid, I'm not touching this for less than 40%

Hold out for more I got 80% coming from a Nigerian Prince who is fleeing persecution with his family and is going to wire me $20 mil any day now. :nob:

Riiiiiight..........

If anyone falls for this, then they are both stupid and greedy. They deserve all that they get.

Stupid is right! I would have taken the nukes and coke... they are worth way more than $17.2M.

Funny, but people fall for this crap every day.

• 4 months later...

That article is great. The first paragraph claims:

-------------------------------------------------------

SWEET HOME, Ore. — An Oregon woman who is out $400,000 after falling for a well-known Internet scam says she wasn't a sucker or an easy mark.

-----------------------------------------------

And then you go on reading the article....

-----------------------------------------------

Janella Spears of Sweet Home says she simply became curious when she received an e-mail promising her $20.5 million if she would only help out a long-lost relative identified as J.B. Spears with a little money up front. Spears told KATU-TV about the scammers' ability to identify her relative by name was persuasive. "That's what got me to believe it," She said. "So, why wouldn't you send over $100?"

Spears, who is a nursing administrator and CPR teacher, said she mortgaged the house and took a lien out on the family car, and ran through her husband's retirement account. "The retirement he was dreaming of — cruising and going around and seeing America — is pretty much gone for him right now," she said.

She estimates it will take two years to clear the debt that accumulated in the more than two years she spent sending money to con artists.

The scheme is often called the "Nigerian scam" and it's familiar to many people with e-mail accounts. It still exists and it still works. Spears first sent $100 through an untraceable wire service as directed by the scammers. Then, more multimillion dollar promises followed so long as she sent more money.

The scammers sent Spears official-looking documents and certificates from the Bank of Nigeria and the United Nations. President Bush and FBI Director Robert Mueller were also involved, the e-mails said, and needed her help. They sent official-looking documents and certificates from the Bank of Nigeria and even from the United Nations, saying her payment was "guaranteed."

But it wasn't and now Spears is paying the price for her costly lesson. "The hope is [other people] are not going to fall as hard as I fell," Spears said.

----------------------------------------

Yeah, that's not an easy mark at all.

Not to mention she pissed away her husband's entire retirement account. I'm sure the husband is taking it well.

Edited by HerkDerka

Got this from one of my bros in the 90th up at Elmendorf. Apparently, they've been getting a slew of calls to their Ops Desk from folks in the greater Atlanta area wanting to get in touch with "1Lt Adam Moore" who is selling a vehicle. The vehicle varies with each phone call, but they are insistent that the individual provided an Elmendorf e-mail address (adam.moore@elmendorf.af.mil) in addition to a civilian e-mail, but that they've been unable to reach him via the military e-mail, and their phone calls have gone unanswered. So they make a call to Elmendorf, get the number for the 90th, and ask for this guy, who is not assigned to the 90th. The Dicemen finally got tired of repeatedly explaining that there is no "Adam Moore," and have now turned it over to SFS.

I thought the crack exposure team at BaseOps might want to take a look...this one is doubly painful, in my opinion, because not only is the individual scamming as a USAF fighter pilot, but he's trying to con people out of money. Apparently one of the more recent callers was Army, and forwarded this e-mail on to the folks in the squadron:

Uh-oh, anyone seeing a trend here?

Selling a car these days...

Just :bash: with ya, stoleit2x! :thumbsup:

Cheers! M2

Guest falcondawg05

I realize the post is a bit outdated, but my wife's friend is an avionics tech in the 90th and he says there is no such person (enlisted, officer, or civilian) by that name in the 90th. Also, there's no person by that name at nearby Fort Richardson either.