T-38 Crash at Sheppard

AOF_ATC

I didn't know Alec (he was new to T-38s), but I worked with Gyro quite a bit. Brad was a helluva guy to work with...always glad to see you, he attacked everything with a positive attitude, and he's never hesitate to help a brother out. A perfect bro to have in the squadron. It's hard to see his photo posted here knowing what happened.

Yippie21, thanks for your thoughts. You guys are class-acts down at FWC, and I'll pass this along to the bros in the 90th.

Please...anyone who hears about a fund for Gyro and Alec's families...post it here! Gyro leaves behind a great family and we should take care of them.

Godspeed, brothers. :beer:

Just got word that a fund has been set up for Gyro's family at Wells Fargo. If you would like to donate you can go to any branch and ask to donate to the "Funk Family Fund". Also, if you would like to make a donation to help pay for flowers at his funeral send me a PM and I'll get you the info for that fund that has been set up.

Also, Monday from 5-7 there will be a viewing for Gyro. Again send me a PM if you would like more info on that. Lastly, the funeral for Gyro will be held in Ogden, Utah on Saturday. Place and time TBD.

Just got word that a fund has been set up for Gyro's family at Wells Fargo. If you would like to donate you can go to any branch and ask to donate to the "Funk Family Fund". Also, if you would like to make a donation to help pay for flowers at his funeral send me a PM and I'll get you the info for that fund that has been set up.

Also, Monday from 5-7 there will be a viewing for Gyro. Again send me a PM if you would like more info on that. Lastly, the funeral for Gyro will be held in Ogden, Utah on Saturday. Place and time TBD.

Is this ANY Wells Fargo branch nationwide, or just those in the Wichita Falls area? I have bros strung-out the SW US that would like to donate.

PM sent.

Guest EN_GRAD

Gyro was the kind of guy that all the students looked up to. He was a highly respected instructor, mentor, and friend. As his assigned student, I had the privilege of learning to fly the T-38 from him the last 6 months.

I remember days in the flight room when everyone had long gone home except a few students gathered around Gyro’s desk listening to him tell stories and share his passion for the Air Force. He was the type of guy that people naturally gravitated to. To the 8 students in our flight, he was not only a great instructor; he was an esteemed leader and encouraging friend.

Coming here to Sheppard from being an instructor in the F-15 at Tyndall wasn’t Gyro’s first choice, but he told me once that his time here has brought him closer to his family and strengthened his faith. It’s comforting to know he was able to do that before he passed.

Gyro, it was an honor to have you pin my wings on at graduation, a memory that I will cherish forever. You are sorely missed bro…our hearts are heavy with your loss.

:flag_waving:

EN GRAD,

"2" on everything you said. I was his assigned student in the class before yours and he was a truly great guy all around.

As far as the Wells Fargo thing I think that you can go to any Wells Fargo anywhere but let me look into that further to make sure that that is really the case.

I went to Field Training with Lt. Littler....I can't believe I've already lost a friend so soon. I guess I can second what I've seen written on here before, don't loose track of your friends, you never know when it'll end. He was a great cadet and I'm sure an even better officer. He was funny, extremely motivated, and an all around top notch man. God bless him and his family, I can't even begin to imagine.

:flag_waving::beer:

Guest Sparrow910

For those asking about donations for the Littler family, " The Littler Family requests that monetary donations be made on behalf of Alec Littler to the Funk College Fund"

I talked to Wells Fargo and they said go into any Wells Fargo to donate with the account number 6784215011 under the name Jennifer R Funk.

:salut:

Guest Cap-10
" The Littler Family requests that monetary donations be made on behalf of Alec Littler to the Funk College Fund"

That's a class act right there.

"So here's a nickel on the grass to you, my friend, and your spirit, enthusiasm, sacrifice and courage - but most of all to your friendship. Your's is a dying breed and when you are gone, the world will be a lesser place."

Cap-10 :flag_waving:

It was very well done and it was awesome to see how many people cared about those two guys. It was definitely really hard going up there in front of my friend's picture and saluting him for the last time...something I hope I never have to do again, but who knows in this business. Godspeed to both.

Guest Sessy
It was definitely well done and it was awesome to see how many people cared about those two guys. It was definitely really hard going up there in front of my friend's picture and saluting him for the last time...something I hope I never have to do again, but who knows in this business. Godspeed to both.

Just an idea, we're doing at CBM... Most of the people in the 50th are wearing BAMA pentab patches that were made right after the accident, and there are some for MATT in work. Proceeds going back to the families.

Edited by Sessy

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

AIB complete, released by PA:

-----------------------------------

Team Sheppard: Air Education and Training Command has released the following regarding the May 1, 2008 T-38C accident here at Sheppard:

SHEPPARD T-38C ACCIDENT INVESTIGATION COMPLETE

RANDOLPH AIR FORCE BASE, Texas - The Air Force has completed its investigation of the May 1, 2008, T-38C Talon accident at Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas, which resulted in the deaths of two pilots and destroyed the airplane.

Maj. Brad T. Funk, a 90th Flying Training Squadron instructor pilot, and 2nd Lt. Alec F. Littler, a student pilot assigned to the 80th Operations Support Squadron, were flying a training mission simulating a single engine landing approach with a full fuel load with the intent to touch down on the Sheppard Air Force Base runway and then take off again. The T-38 landed short of the runway, causing debris from the overrun surface to enter the right engine and causing it to seize. Major Funk took command of the aircraft upon the short landing and advanced the throttle of the left engine to maximum power, and as the aircraft was climbing from the ground retracted the landing gear and the flaps. With the flaps retracted, the T-38 had insufficient power and airspeed to sustain lift and stalled.

With their T-38 in a fully developed stall 25 to 40 feet above the ground, the crew ejected from the aircraft. Their near simultaneous ejection caused contact between the two ejection seats and disrupted the direction and sequence of the ejection. Both were killed on impact with the ground.

The accident investigation board (AIB) determined the cause of this mishap was pilot error from the instructor pilot's failure to execute critical emergency procedures upon right engine failure. Specifically, the decision to retract the flaps rather than leaving them extended resulted in insufficient lift to sustain flight.

There were no other casualties from this mishap and other than the aircraft, there was no property damage.

Colonel Richard S. Haddad, 23rd Air Force, Hurlburt Field, Fla., headed the AIB.

Ejections seats collided...yikes.

RIP :beer:

Years ago, back in Del Rio, I was there when the infamous Cessna-crash-into-Amistad occured. Along with the T-38 IP and T-38 student, there were two civilians on board. One was a gal, who I met just before that accident, whose last name was Funk. Her dad was Chief of Safety at Laughlin, IIRC.

I was just told that Maj Funk was her brother.

I'm saddened at this coincidence.

Guest EN_GRAD
AIB complete, released by PA:

-----------------------------------

Ejections seats collided...yikes.

RIP :beer:

Several key facts in this report differ significantly from what was briefed to us by the SIB. WTFO?