Prince Harry JTAC

GrndPndr

Guest bravodelta79

He seems pretty down to earth from what he shows publicly and certainly could have had none of it.

I say good on him.

Guest Matt Damon

I think it is cool that he is over there. Even though his presence was suppose to be secret. But why is he wearing and American hat?

On the down side, it's pointed right at his royal family...

Well he is third in line...but I like the way he shows off his gat.

Edited by Matt Damon

Anybody know what kind of pistol that is? Standard brit issue I assume? On the down side, it's pointed right at his royal family...

I think it's a Browning Hi-Power.

As long as he keeps his finger out of the triggerguard when he draws it, he's good to go.

The Prince's deployment had been cloaked in secrecy under a news blackout deal agreed across the UK media to prevent details reaching the Taliban and endangering Harry and his comrades. But the arrangement broke down today after news was leaked out on the US website the Drudge Report.

Surprise, surprise - an American media outlet leaked it....

Not the optimal draw in that position, plus I would still feel uneasy about its direction even thought I know it won't AD on its own! Get a leg holster like every other cowboy out there.

Still, much like his uncle Andrew, he is "the spare" and therefore can take chances the primary can't. That said, I give him credit for being over there and getting the experience. I hope the idiotic press doesn't spoil his chances of seeing some action...

Cheers! M2

I hope the idiotic press doesn't spoil his chances of seeing some action...

Cheers! M2

The story I read on Drudge today made it sound like he already had been involved in a few firefights.

If that's true, it's pretty awesome that he's doing it. Princes and Kings used to be involved in fighting all the time a couple hundred years ago. Of course they were the commanders directing the fighting from the back, but they did catch a stray artillery round from time to time.

Definitely good on him. He was a pretty big party boy a few years ago and realizing that he was heading down the slippery slope of ridiculous behavior he decided to make something of his life. And after joining the army he basically demanded to be treated like everyone else in the army as much as possible. He really wanted to go to the "action" but the Army wouldn't let him go to Iraq as originally planned because he would understandable be a target that would put his unit at higher than normal risk. The Queen herself was all for his desire to see action and be treated just like any other British soldier and apparently leaned on the MoD to let him go to Afghanistan.

Kudos to all the media outlets that had the information the whole time but didn't report it. Apparently the Ministry of Defense made a deal with everyone that they would have access to the story--interviews, pictures, video .. as long as they didn't report it until he got home. Shame on Drudge for leaking it, though we shouldn't be surprised...that's just Drudge being Drudge.

I don't see how they can keep him there now, unfortunately. Shame.

Drudge didn't break the story, some shitty little rag from Australia that deals in celeb news did, drudge just compiles crap from around the world. But as said, good on the UK news for having some integrity. And ###### the shit heads who broke it (the crappy little Aussie rag) or made it big time news (Drudge, etc.).

I remember hearing tales of Vietnam, where journalists would be told classified information so they had the whole picture so they could write things correctly; and be trusted to keep the classified bits to themselves. What the ###### has happened to the integrity of mass media? They protect their "sources" but don't consider the military/DOD/the government a source? Stop trying to be the next Woodward&Bernstein.

Edited by busdriver

Kudos to all the media outlets that had the information the whole time but didn't report it. Apparently the Ministry of Defense made a deal with everyone that they would have access to the story--interviews, pictures, video .. as long as they didn't report it until he got home. Shame on Drudge for leaking it, though we shouldn't be surprised...that's just Drudge being Drudge.

There's no 'kudos' about it -- unlike in the US, the UK government actually has legal authority over what the press publishes when it comes to national security matters.

EDIT: Forgot to mention: More importantly...if Harry is even only half as good of a JTAC as his fellow Brits, good on him. Brit JTACs are some of the best I've worked with. I'm sure he's brigning some honor into the House of Windsor (or Mountbatten, depending on who you ask, heh heh).

US news outlets had the story, too. They also sat on it. Though once it was widely out there everyone from the Guardian to CNN was ready to go with their reports in about 0.69 seconds.

Normally I'd be the first one to rail against the media, especially ours -- but in this case they all around did an excellent job of what is called "doing the right thing". Its sad that we have to praise them for this -- the bar has been set mighty low.

M2, you can't draw from a leg holster when you're mounted in a vehicle.

If you're being mounted in a vehicle, you've got bigger problems than not being able to draw from your leg holster! :bohica:

I had no problems with leg holsters when riding in vehicles, but to be honest I preferred shoulder rigs.

Cheers! M2

Britain: Harry's Afghan deployment over

LONDON - Britain's defense chief decided Friday to immediately pull Prince Harry out of Afghanistan after news of his deployment was leaked on the U.S. Web site the Drudge Report.

Air Chief Marshal Jock Stirrup, chief of the Defense Staff, said he decided to withdraw the prince after senior commanders assessed the risks, the Defense Ministry said in a statement.

Harry, third in line to the British throne, has been serving on the front line with an army unit in Afghanistan's southern Helmand province since mid-December. He was originally due to return to Britain within weeks, but "the situation has now clearly changed," the statement said.

The decision was based on concerns that worldwide media coverage of Harry in Afghanistan could put him and his comrades at increased risk.

The ministry asked the media not to speculate on Harry's location — or how and when he would return — until he was back in Britain.

British officials had hoped to keep Prince Harry's deployment secret until he had safely returned, but they released video of him serving in Helmand Province after the leak appeared on the Drudge Report.

The ministry deplored the leak by "elements of the foreign media."

"However, this was a circumstance that we have always been aware of and one for which we have had contingency plans in place," the statement said.

Prime Minister Gordon Brown said the prince had demonstrated that he was an exemplary young officer. "The whole of Britain will be proud of the outstanding service he is giving," he said.

Harry, 23, is the first royal to serve in a combat zone since his uncle Prince Andrew flew helicopters during Britain's war with Argentina over the Falkland Islands in 1982.

Tours to Afghanistan usually last six months; Harry has served 10 weeks.

Harry conceded in an interview filmed last week that when he returns to Britain he could be a "top target" for Islamic terrorists.

"Once this ... comes out, every single person that supports them will be trying to slot me," he said.

The deployment plan had been disclosed to reporters, with no specific date, but was not reported previously because of an agreement between the Ministry of Defense and all major news organizations operating in Britain, including The Associated Press. The news blackout was intended to reduce the risk to the prince and his regiment.

Harry was supposed to go to Iraq with the Blues and Royals regiment in May last year but the assignment was canceled because of security fears. Iraqi insurgents made threats on Internet chat rooms, saying he would not make it home alive.

Harry trained at Sandhurst military academy and joined the Blues and Royals as a cornet, the cavalry regiment's equivalent of a second lieutenant. After being held back from his Iraq assignment, the prince threatened to quit the army if he was not given the chance to see combat.

Harry said his older brother, William, who also graduated from Sandhurst and is training as a military pilot, is jealous of his deployment. As Britain's likely future king, Prince William is unlikely ever to see combat.

Helmand province is where most of the 7,800 British soldiers in Afghanistan are based. It has seen some of the country's fiercest combat in recent years, with NATO-led forces fighting the Taliban and al-Qaida militants.

Harry's work in Afghanistan has involved calling in airstrikes on Taliban positions as well as going out on foot patrols. He spent part of his deployment at a base 500 yards from Taliban positions, the military said.

Since Harry's arrival, his battle group has been responsible for around 30 enemy deaths, a Ministry of Defense official said, speaking on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to release the information.

Video showed the prince in camouflage fatigues walking across arid and dusty terrain, calling in air support, firing a machine gun and patrolling the streets of Garmsir, the southernmost part of the province. He has since left Garmsir, and his current whereabouts are being kept secre

I suspect the hat is just a simple bit of camoflage to throw the bad guys off...after all anybody who wears the stars and stripes must be an american...right? In fact, I think the whole "Harry wants to go to Iraq, but we won't let him" last fall was just part of the plan, the brits being cheeky. Anyway...good on him for showing up.

Humps

Quick, somebody send a shoe clerk to correct his unprofessional grooming.

They're already on the way...they're going to cut his hair and put him in a proper uniform baseball cap.

I was wondering about the American hat too. Kind of nice to see a subtle shout out from an ally with the the anti-US flag burning bullshit we get to watch every day on the news, even in our own country.

:flag_waving: I say good on him too.

Edited by usaf36031

Britain: Harry's Afghan deployment over

LONDON - Britain's defense chief decided Friday to immediately pull Prince Harry out of Afghanistan after news of his deployment was leaked on the U.S. Web site the Drudge Report.

<snip>

Shame, as the lad was over there trying to get some real experience that would serve him well; and once again, the media fucks it all up! Props to him for not being a FOBBIT and actually getting some Afghan dust on his boots, and :flipoff: to the Drudge Report for not knowing when to keep their big mouth shut!

Cheers! M2

M2, I consider my M9 a last ditch weapon that I only plan on using if I'm stuck in my cockpit and hadji is rushing me (ala Mogadishu) so I would prefer a chest mounted holster. I have a feeling in this case though, he carries in the manner shown only wandering around base since a drop holster gets annoying after awhile.

Guest AlphaSigOU
I'm sure he's brigning some honor into the House of Windsor (or Mountbatten, depending on who you ask, heh heh).

I remember reading somewhere that it's now the House of Mountbatten-Windsor, at least for the younger pups in the family. Though Midshipman William and Cornet - ahem, 'leftenant' - Henry - ahem, Harry - Wales take the old man's surname, Wales.

Methinks the Brit Army isn't that ate-up about getting haircuts out in the field where the shootin' is. Or wearing disco belts and PT gear in the AOR for that matter.

Guest JimmyH

Hairy Harry:

http://www.slate.com/id/2185850/

...Don't British soldiers have to cut their hair, too?

Only if their commander says so. Unlike American male recruits, for whom the buzz cut is part of the initiation into the service, the British Ministry of Defence leaves coiffure decisions up to individual regiment leaders...

Unlike American male recruits, for whom the buzz cut is part of the initiation into the service, the British Ministry of Defence leaves coiffure decisions up to individual regiment leaders...

Wow... delegation of authority. What a concept! I wonder if it would work on this side of the pond???

Guest SATCOM
Wow... delegation of authority. What a concept! I wonder if it would work on this side of the pond???

The quick answer is a resounding no. There are many things attractive in the British military, this being one of them.....that would not last five milliseconds in the US DOD.