Ammo against the shoe clerks!

Guest Xtndr50boom

As a former MX dude: No you don't. MX does. MX has to go pick up their own stuff when things are time critical, because many times you can't be relied upon to find the flightline.

Edit: Toned it down.

No fucking joke.

And that's where your feelings are misplaced. Crews walk because Command Post forgot to call, no ,matter where I have been CP has been the weak link in crew pick up. So if you walked, give those guys a shout and ask them WTF? Becareful calling them, they record all phone calls. Out bound crew? Did your Ops office call for crew pickup?

So why don't you guys just keep a bus on the flightline running ready to take anybody that needs it a lift to/from their jet? This way, you're not just sitting on your ass back in the breakroom waiting on CP to give you a call? That would make too much sense though.

So why don't you guys just keep a bus on the flightline running ready to take anybody that needs it a lift to/from their jet? This way, you're not just sitting on your ass back in the breakroom waiting on CP to give you a call? That would make too much sense though.

Bingo. If driving people to/from their jet is your job, then take some fucking pride in it and make it your goal that nobody has to walk or wait more than a few minutes for you to get there. This applies to all jobs. No matter how small or unimportant your job may seem to you, someone else is likely counting on you so get off your ass and get it done.

I've got a great one that has nothing to do with being aircrew. Just general ass-hattery. Follow with me here...

/rant on

I PCS to base X. I move into a local hotel. Finance says the JFTR provides reimbursement for 10 days of temporary lodging during a PCS (TLE/TLA?). On day 2, I find a house, make an offer, offer gets accepted, arrange for all utilities and other various necessities to be set-up/delivered in the following 3-4 days including an early move-in agreement. I figure, "sweet, I'll be moved in way before I hit that 10 day mark!"

Apparently TMO is too undermanned to actually provide a face-to-face service anymore, so you have to "self-counsel" on a website to arrange your HHGs to be picked up and delivered at the appropriate times. So, after I inprocess the MPF, I go to comm to sign my life away and get my NIPR access, so I can use my CAC to log-on, and arrange for my HHG's to be delivered. But I can't log-on (the dreaded credentials not verified) so I go back to comm. They say I need to wait 24 hours for "the system to update". So I do. Come back the next day, can't log on. They say I need to go back to the MPF to have my CAC repinned. So I do. Then I try to log on again. credentials not verified. Comm says (again) that I need to wait 24 hours for "the system to update". Rinse. Repeat. Long story short, it took me 3 days to just be able to access the website to request that my HHGs be delivered. I did go to TMO while this was going on (hey, they'd be able to help, right?) but they said they weren't able to access my information and my only choices were to log on to the website or call JPPSO directly (whom, by the way, stop answering their phones at 1530L). So what, would you say, TMO does here?

Day 6, I log into the website and request that my HHGs are delivered ASAP. On day 7, I call JPPSO, and they say I need to wait for the local carrier to call me and arrange a delivery time. On day 8 I get a call from the corporate HQ of a delivery company 1500 miles away, and they say it will be 8 days until they can deliver my HHGs which are in storage a few miles from where my house is. I wont even go into the ass-chewing I gave the poor girl after all of this.

Bottom line, since day 3 all I've been waiting for are my HHGs and I'm good to go fight the war and hack the mission for the Air Force. Instead, it'll take 16 days, because of the above bafoonery. And I have to pay for 6 nights in a hotel room with my 6 month pregnant wife and 75lb dog OUT OF POCKET! Thanks Air Force! :bash: I can't help but ask myself, "I wonder if it works this way in corporate America?"

The terrorists are winning.

/rant off

Disclaimer: This post was more of a vent than anything. But if its been a while since you've PCS'd, beware.

Edited by GBock

No ######ing joke.

That's a fantastic idea. Flawed, but fantastic. Not every crew that lands needs picked up, EROs and QTs come to mind. Having a driver sit on the flight line is a huge waste of manpower. And I promise you we do take pride in what we do, I can't tell you how many times I have gotten a cell phone call from a crew that has been waiting a long time, and what do I hear from CP? The crew/SOF/Tower didn't call us saying they were down and needed transpo. Does that mean I need to stage resources on the flight line when my manning is already at or below 50%? Currently where I am at now I have the SOF in the tower give us a call before they call CP, 7/10 times CP calls. So you can see we worked out something amicable, down side of it is, the weak link in our system isn't held accountable for their culpable inefficiency. Can I account for all misdeads done by my AFSC.....not even possible. Every section has that retard that somehow made it's way into our AF.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

No fucking joke.

Or use some end of year money to buy a scanner and listen for aircraft calling SOF. Then you can guess you're probably going to need a bus in the very near future. Or you can even take a little initiative and call SOF after that radio call and see if they will need transpo. Or maybe get a copy of the flight schedule from the squadron.

I've got a great one that has nothing to do with being aircrew. Just general ass-hattery. Follow with me here...

/rant on

I PCS to base X. I move into a local hotel. Finance says the JFTR provides reimbursement for 10 days of temporary lodging during a PCS (TLE/TLA?). On day 2, I find a house, make an offer, offer gets accepted, arrange for all utilities and other various necessities to be set-up/delivered in the following 3-4 days including an early move-in agreement. I figure, "sweet, I'll be moved in way before I hit that 10 day mark!"

Apparently TMO is too undermanned to actually provide a face-to-face service anymore, so you have to "self-counsel" on a website to arrange your HHGs to be picked up and delivered at the appropriate times. So, after I inprocess the MPF, I go to comm to sign my life away and get my NIPR access, so I can use my CAC to log-on, and arrange for my HHG's to be delivered. But I can't log-on (the dreaded credentials not verified) so I go back to comm. They say I need to wait 24 hours for "the system to update". So I do. Come back the next day, can't log on. They say I need to go back to the MPF to have my CAC repinned. So I do. Then I try to log on again. credentials not verified. Comm says (again) that I need to wait 24 hours for "the system to update". Rinse. Repeat. Long story short, it took me 3 days to just be able to access the website to request that my HHGs be delivered. I did go to TMO while this was going on (hey, they'd be able to help, right?) but they said they weren't able to access my information and my only choices were to log on to the website or call JPPSO directly (whom, by the way, stop answering their phones at 1530L). So what, would you say, TMO does here?

Day 6, I log into the website and request that my HHGs are delivered ASAP. On day 7, I call JPPSO, and they say I need to wait for the local carrier to call me and arrange a delivery time. On day 8 I get a call from the corporate HQ of a delivery company 1500 miles away, and they say it will be 8 days until they can deliver my HHGs which are in storage a few miles from where my house is. I wont even go into the ass-chewing I gave the poor girl after all of this.

Bottom line, since day 3 all I've been waiting for are my HHGs and I'm good to go fight the war and hack the mission for the Air Force. Instead, it'll take 16 days, because of the above bafoonery. And I have to pay for 6 nights in a hotel room with my 6 month pregnant wife and 75lb dog OUT OF POCKET! Thanks Air Force! :bash: I can't help but ask myself, "I wonder if it works this way in corporate America?"

The terrorists are winning.

/rant off

Disclaimer: This post was more of a vent than anything. But if its been a while since you've PCS'd, beware.

GBock,

I wish I was surprised. Having just PCS'd myself, I got the full run-a-round with JPPSO. I ended up dealing with their regional office in COS where I was compelled to unload a barrage of, well, let's just say less than flattering comments. Given you know me, I bet this surprises you. BL: the wife and I got what we needed from JPPSO/TMO only because I stepped on their collective neck.

SM

Or use some end of year money to buy a scanner and listen for aircraft calling SOF. Then you can guess you're probably going to need a bus in the very near future. Or you can even take a little initiative and call SOF after that radio call and see if they will need transpo. Or maybe get a copy of the flight schedule from the squadron.

Ok here is one issue with the scanner, CP finds out we have one and they assume we know everything thats going on, and they quit calling. Between phone calls, customers returning vehicles and the radio they can't always catch when a crew is down. We do do have a flying schedule and know when they "should" be on the ground. I have called CP myself and asked them *why* they did not call, the answer I get is: "don't you have a scanner, you should have heard them land." This is my issue, it's CP's *job* to call us. When crews don't get picked up or are late being picked up, who gets blamed? No worries though.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

GBock,

I wish I was surprised. Having just PCS'd myself, I got the full run-a-round with JPPSO. I ended up dealing with their regional office in COS where I was compelled to unload a barrage of, well, let's just say less than flattering comments. Given you know me, I bet this surprises you. BL: the wife and I got what we needed from JPPSO/TMO only because I stepped on their collective neck.

SM

This whole thing is a good example of how the AF doing more with less idea and drawing down our size(in the middle of a war?) is one hell of a bad idea. The cold war was a great time, you could walk into finance and TALK to someone, and like GBock's issue TMO manning going the way of finance. I am all for saving tax payer dollars, but not at the cost of impeding the mission and lowering quality of life by outright frustration. Technology is great, there is just too much of it. Anyone remember when we had "Admin" troops who typed up EPRs and what-not? Those wonderful days are long gone. Bottom line, more with less is killing us. Back to back deployments for 6-8 months with very little dwell time, it's burning people out.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I wont even go into the ass-chewing I gave the poor girl after all of this.

Sounds kinky. Details?

Seriously though, The best thing for everyone to do is call JPPSO directly when you're ready and bypass the ****ing website. Comm needs to get their act together at your base.

At our base, when you get a new ID card, while it DOES take a little while to get a new ID card, you have the option to wait around while the database updates (24 hours is complete bullsh**; it should be more like 10-15 minutes MAX) and make sure it updates in the system so problems can be immediately addressed.

Back to the problem with buses. Not every base is like a training base and constantly picking up flyers. We may generate 4-6 sorties in a day or perhaps just a couple. Walking is NOT an option when you are literally 5-7 MILES from your aircraft and you have more gear than you can possibly carry without making 2 trips...throw on top of that subzero temperatures and transpo isn't optional, it's required.

Now, how to get them to do their job (just like anyone else)? Demand they perform the job they are supposed to do. When they do a good job, let them know. When they are substandard, let them know. If they are repeatedly substandard, let their supervisor/commander/group commander know. If it really becomes a problem, upchannel to the Wing King.

To minimize problems, just have the SOF/Duty Desk call transpo when the a/c is about 10 min out from landing. Usually works out fine for us.

I've only minor problems with Transpo a handful of times. Twice it was simply a miscommunication and the rest were guys simply being lazy; problem solved by contacting a supervisor.

If you let them get away with halfassing it, they will continue to do so.

BTW, we don't rely on command post to do this. We handle this amonsgt the bros; CP has enough to deal with.

Edited by BQZip01

If you let them get away with halfassing it, they will continue to do so.

BTW, we don't rely on command post to do this. We handle this amonsgt the bros; CP has enough to deal with.

I agree completely, I have managed to get the CP folks from my base to do an 'immersion' with my dispatchers, and in turn we have done the same with them, home station area, deployed area....I couldn’t sell it well enough to them. As the eyes and ears of the Wing/CC I know and appreciate the fact they are busy....a lot more than what you may think, again that's why I would rather work with the SOF or the Ops office for the flyers. It builds a rapport with the end customer, CP doesn't have that much of a vested interest.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So what, would you say, TMO does here?

Moved to Charleston a few months ago, only the wife and I so we decided to make a few extra dollars and DITY. A few days after moving in I take all the receipts and required paperwork to TMO. No HHG to deal with, shouldn't be complicated. Everything's good to go and I ask them about how long until I'll see the money, they tell me "5-7" business days. I knew that was b/s but was hopeful anyways.

Two weeks roll by and I give them a call. "I'm sorry sir we are overwhelmed and we haven't had a chance to submit it yet" Alright, it's only been 10 business days so I'll wait a little longer. Three weeks and still nothing. This time I decide to drop in.

"I'm sorry sir we are undermanned and it's still sitting on our desk." This she tells me after I see her peers watching TV in the back room.

Exactly a month later I get a phone call to my cell. "Sir this is TMO, we need you to come in because the form you submitted is now out of date." YGTBFSM. I head into TMO with old copy in hand. It is the SAME EXACT FORM, it looks exactly the same as the one in my hand. Except the dates for submission have mysteriously been changed to exactly 30 days later and the signature block is blank.

Not sure if there is a reg for how long TMO can leave paperwork sitting or if they were trying to keep the supervisor misinformed but I did not have time to "discuss" it with the airman since I was planning for a flight immediately afterwards. Counted the days between when I actually submitted the paperwork until when I saw the money in my account and it was over 7 weeks. Thanks TMO, I don't have any bills or moving expenses to pay off on my mandated GTC.

Hadn't even thought about it until this thread rekindled the flame. As far as trans goes, hats off to the drivers at OKAS, always on time and mostly friendly. One guy even helped us move our bags onto the jet today! :beer:

the weak link in our system isn't held accountable for their culpable inefficiency. Can I account for all misdeads done by my AFSC.....not even possible. Every section has that retard that somehow made it's way into our AF.

Exactly. And those retards more often than not worry about the nit noid BS as to whether or not by PT shirt is tucked in, whether my sunglasses are on top of my head, etc rather than accomplishing the mission. Hence the reason for this thread. By self labeling yourself as a shoeclerk you have already let us know which camp you fall into in the retard vs nonretard battle.

• Upvote 1

I wish someone could give me some ammo to deal with the German run housing office. Seems like almost all of the new people coming into my SQ recently have been getting the proverbial F'd in the A. I know I bitched about my issues with them when I got here, but some of the recent shenanigans just blow me away. It's bad.

Ok here is one issue with the scanner, CP finds out we have one and they assume we know everything thats going on, and they quit calling. Between phone calls, customers returning vehicles and the radio they can't always catch when a crew is down. We do do have a flying schedule and know when they "should" be on the ground. I have called CP myself and asked them *why* they did not call, the answer I get is: "don't you have a scanner, you should have heard them land." This is my issue, it's CP's *job* to call us. When crews don't get picked up or are late being picked up, who gets blamed? No worries though.

Here's the difference in attitude. If CP were screwing over my squadron like this and preventing us from doing our job, we'd find a way to do the job without CP. Like a scanner with someone dedicated to sit at the desk (or, as I said previously, we no longer have transpo take crews to the jet, we get a young LT from the squadron to do it).

There are plenty of things we do in the squadron that are hypothetically someone else's job. I appreciate the frustration that comes from someone not doing their job, especially as a UDM who does 90% of the LRS squadron's job for them. But the key difference here is, that while it's frustrating, you are pointing the finger and saying "It's not my fault", while most flying squadrons would say "Alright, XXX shop is screwing us, how can we do this job without XXX shop?"

• Upvote 2

Exactly. And those retards more often than not worry about the nit noid BS as to whether or not by PT shirt is tucked in, whether my sunglasses are on top of my head, etc rather than accomplishing the mission. Hence the reason for this thread. By self labeling yourself as a shoeclerk you have already let us know which camp you fall into in the retard vs nonretard battle.

Vertigo,

I will say this, I don't care if you fly for a living or not....everyone must maintain uniform standards and I don't care if you are a CGO or a jr enlisted you will maintain standards and I will correct you if do not. You know how bad it looks to the jr enlisted when an officer walk around looking like Gomer Pyle? You do your profession a discredit if you cannot maintain military standards....I don't care how nitnoid they might be. I don't like tucking in the PT shirt or wearing a disco belt either, however it's something I have to do. Take some pride in the uniform you wear, look like a professional. If you are too lazy to maintain a professional appearance, what other corners are you cutting? If you are proud of what you do....your appearance will reflect just that. Bash the 'shoe clerks'....for what? Doing the right thing? Enforcing standards? You can still get the mission done and not wear your glasses on your head, don't be lazy....how many pockets do those flight suits have? How long would it take to properly stow those shades?

• Downvote 4

Vertigo,

I will say this, I don't care if you fly for a living or not....everyone must maintain uniform standards and I don't care if you are a CGO or a jr enlisted you will maintain standards and I will correct you if do not. You know how bad it looks to the jr enlisted when an officer walk around looking like Gomer Pyle? You do your profession a discredit if you cannot maintain military standards....I don't care how nitnoid they might be. I don't like tucking in the PT shirt or wearing a disco belt either, however it's something I have to do. Take some pride in the uniform you wear, look like a professional. If you are too lazy to maintain a professional appearance, what other corners are you cutting? If you are proud of what you do....your appearance will reflect just that. Bash the 'shoe clerks'....for what? Doing the right thing? Enforcing standards? You can still get the mission done and not wear your glasses on your head, don't be lazy....how many pockets do those flight suits have? How long would it take to properly stow those shades?

020925o9999g104.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Upvote 3

How long would it take to properly stow those shades?

Let me just move my hat, charts, forms, pens and pencils, gloves, dip, spitter, spare t-shirt and wet wipes (absolutely necessary after an hour and a half plus on the ground in a non-air conditioned cockpit) cell phone, ipod, and book/magazine/newspaper/notebook out of the way to make room for some more shit to put in my pockets. Nope.

Vertigo,

You can't polish a turd, Jango. I'd much rather see a guy sporting sunglasses on his head getting the mission done, than someone maintaining a professional appearance telling me "it's not my job sir" or "sir, we close at 1300." It's all about perspective and it sounds as if your perspective is not mission focused. This lack of mission focus is one of the largest fundamental flaws of the Air Foce today. At least your boots look good as the mission fails, right?

• Upvote 4

Standing by for the line about how "if you dont follow the rules about sunglasses and PT shirt-tuck-ins, you wont follow the rules when it counts," because apparently every aircrew member with an unzipped flight suit pocket and a friday nametag or pen-patch is without-a-doubt going to be behind the next Mai-Lai massacre... in 3...2....1...

Chuck

Edited by Chuck17
  • Upvote 2

You can't polish a turd, Jango. I'd much rather see a guy sporting sunglasses on his head getting the mission done, than someone maintaining a professional appearance telling me "it's not my job sir" or "sir, we close at 1300." It's all about perspective and it sounds as if your perspective is not mission focused. This lack of mission focus is one of the largest fundamental flaws of the Air Foce today. At least your boots look good as the mission fails, right?

So as you mentor the newer generation of Air Force professionals you are good with telling them follow only the rules you want to and to hell with the rest, so long as you get the job done. Sorry, that shouldn't fly. Maintaining standards is a primary foundation to good order and discipline, your flippant attitudes in not adhering to these standards paves the way to complacency. Besides that, where is your integrity? Isn't that the first core value? You betcha. Am I mission focused? Don't doubt for a minute my dedication to the mission, I go out of my way to help my customers, it doesn't matter if they are home station, TDY or sister service....if what the customer needs isn't unlawful or outside of our scope of practice we give 110%. That "it's not my job sir" or "sir, we close at 1300", that mentality...that's not service before self, that's I have something else to do than help you, and lazy. Just as its someone being too lazy to pluck those glasses off the top of their head. Can't polish a turd you say? Well if you look like a piece of crap, you are going to act like it. You are either part of the problem or the solution, get with the program.

• Downvote 3

So as you mentor the newer generation of Air Force professionals you are good with telling them follow only the rules you want to and to hell with the rest, so long as you get the job done. Sorry, that shouldn't fly. Maintaining standards is a primary foundation to good order and discipline, your flippant attitudes in not adhering to these standards paves the way to complacency. Besides that, where is your integrity? Isn't that the first core value? You betcha. Am I mission focused? Don't doubt for a minute my dedication to the mission, I go out of my way to help my customers, it doesn't matter if they are home station, TDY or sister service....if what the customer needs isn't unlawful or outside of our scope of practice we give 110%. That "it's not my job sir" or "sir, we close at 1300", that mentality...that's not service before self, that's I have something else to do than help you, and lazy. Just as its someone being too lazy to pluck those glasses off the top of their head. Can't polish a turd you say? Well if you look like a piece of crap, you are going to act like it. You are either part of the problem or the solution, get with the program.

Jango, I don't doubt you're mission focused. The problem is that most support organizations hear more about their uniform and begin to believe that is the mission (a sharp uniform). Young troops should be first focused on getting their mission accomplished, then worried about a pretty uniform. That is rarely the case and I suspect you are the exception. And to answer your first question (sit down for this), yes, I tell young aircraft commanders that they will sometimes have to bend a few rules to get the mission done. That is why they are paid the big bucks. They have to understand the rules and know when and where it is appropriate to break those rules. I have never once evaluated a pilot based on their uniform. I pass my judgement based on their performance accomplishing the mission. Jango, military image may be the focus in your shoe world, I doubt you'll get many converts here...

Guest Hueypilot812

I'm guilty of the sunglasses trend myself...but I honestly don't care. If I just got done spending 16 hours in a C-130 sweating my ass off flying a bunch of Army dudes to Kuwait to catch their ride home, and flying a bunch of new dudes in to pick up the fight and move on, having a ing pair of sunglasses on my head doesn't matter. If I see an enlisted mx dude with sunglasses on his head, I don't give a damn. Uniforms matter if you're doing a pass in review. But all that matters to me downrange or on any other given work day is that you do your damn job.

I have photos of my grandfather when he was in WWII, Korea and Vietnam (retired as an O-6) and most of them, he's out of uniform by today's standards. But I'll be damned if some modern-day asshole wants to point out stupid queep on a man who jumped into Normandy, fought off the Chi-coms and NKs in Korea in the infantry, and then resupplied Green Berets while commanding the 18th Aviation Company (flying U-1 Otters) in Vietnam...he got the ing job done. I don't give a damn if he did or didn't have his hat on, or if he had on the right color of socks.

There are a number of other photos of my other grandfather sans shirt...wearing sandals in some pictures...all sorts of things that would have a modern day SNCO uniform Nazi's head spinning...yet he participated in the invasion of Okinawa. Sure, go ing tell him to put his shirt back on after he just waded to shore in red water and bodies floating in the surf...and then working on young men who were dying (he was a medic)...I'm quite sure people like the uniform Nazis would say a guy like him could never serve our country with distinction because, despite all the other things he did, he was out of uniform 90% of the time.

I'll take the heat of people saying "hey, you're not a good officer" or "we can't trust you to do your job". Fine, then go find some asshole who sucks at flying C-130s but can dress well. I'm sure that'll work out well for our country.

• Upvote 9

I'm good with telling them the mission comes first, and uniform standards in a deployed location a far distant second. That's as opposed to actively impeding the mission to enforce some nitnoid regulation. When the support services start showing the same dedication to their jobs that I give to mine, maybe I'll start paying attention to what they have to say about my uniform.

I'd also say that there's a wide gulf between "Get those sunglasses off your head now!" and "Sir, the reg says you can't have your sunglasses on your head". Both say the same thing, but which shows the customs and courtesies that tie back to the standards you are so excited to defend? And which do you suppose is used more often in the deployed arena?