Robin Olds, 1922-2007

Hacker

Guest AviatorFT07

:beer:

I've had the honor of meeting "Tex" Hill, Kittinger, and others...but I still wish I could have met him.

Blue skies, General.

Just a few words of wisdom from BG Olds...

"Anybody who doesn't have fear is an idiot. It's just that you must make the fear work for you. Hell when somebody shot at me, it made me madder than hell, and all I wanted to do was shoot back."

"A fighter without a gun . . . is like an airplane without a wing."

"Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit."

"There are pilots and there are pilots; with the good ones, it is inborn. You can't teach it. If you are a fighter pilot, you have to be willing to take risks."

"When I took over my wing [in Vietnam], the big talk wasn't about the MIG's, but about the SAM's ... I'd seen enemy planes before, but those damn SAM's were something else. When I saw my first one, there were a few seconds of sheer panic, because that's a most impressive sight to see that thing coming at you. You feel like a fish about to be harpooned. There's something terribly personal about the SAM; it means to kill you and I'll tell you right now, it rearranges your priorities ... We had been told to keep our eyes on them and not to take any evasive move too soon, because they were heat-seeking and they, too would correct, so I waited until it was almost on me and then I rolled to the right and it went on by. It was awe inspiring ... The truth is you never do get used to the SAM's; I had about two hundred fifty shot at me and the last one was as inspiring as the first. Sure I got cagey, and I was able to wait longer and longer, but I never got overconfident. I mean, if you're one or two seconds too slow, you've had the schnitzel."

"It got more exciting with each war. I mean the planes were going faster than hell when I was flying a Mustang, but by the time I got to Nam, it scared the piss out of a lot of guys just to fly the damn jets at full speed. Let alone do it in combat."

020925-O-9999G-104.jpg

Cheers, Sir! M2

• 2 weeks later...

Words from someone who attended the services

It was spectacular, incredible, and awesome. It was everything that this great leader deserved. There were lots of tears and lots of laughter. There wasn't a dry eye in the chapel when we sang "America the Beautiful" or when "God Bless the USA" was sung, or when his daughter Susan read the poem she had written for him and when his granddaughter, Jennifer Newman, read "High Flight' at the end of her remarks.

There were "Words of Remembrance" spoken by Gen. Ed Eberhart, Col. J.B.Stone, BGen. Bob Titus, Capt. Jack McEncroe, and sportscaster Verne Lundquist. Ed Eberhart who was the Commander of the Cadet Wing when Robin was the Commandant told humorous stories about some of his dealings with Commandant Olds. J.B. set the tone when describing Robin's lifestyle said that Robin was not what you would call a physical fitness freak and therefore not interested in having the perfect body to put in a casket. He said he would probably slide in sideways and say, "Holy shit what a ride"! This got a big laugh. Verne Lundquist, a very close friend of Robins told many great stories about Robin and even demonstrated his infamous golf swing. After showing the swing he said the Robin often made good contact with the ball and it would go straight. He told of a time that they were playing and Robin's tee shot hit the green, bounced twice and went in the hole. Verne said he excitedly yelled, "It's in the hole" and Robin turned to him calmly and said, "That's the desired result isn't it"? This too got a big laugh.

After the Memorial Ceremony we proceeded to the cemetery for the interment.

The Cadet Color Guard was outstanding as were the playing of "Taps" and the 21 Gun Salute. Then came the fly-bys, two T-33's in 30 second trail, a P-51, An F-86, a Mig 19, an F-16 4-ship, and the icing on the cake, a 4-ship missing man formation of F-4 Phantoms. The chills broke out as #3 climbed away in A/B.

I felt that this was very appropriate, the passing of Robin Olds is the end of an era and his last aircraft the F-4 has also reached its end. They go west together....

• 1 month later...
Guest Scribe

Sure would have loved to serve under him. Definitely larger than life. I have a signed copy of the Keith Ferris painting of his Operation Bolo MiG Kill in my office that I will always treasure along with meeting him and hearing him speak. There's a nice writeup on his career and the memorial with photos on Fence Check.

• 2 months later...

There is an awesome feature article on Gen Olds in the new Aviation History magazine. As well as a 'hubba-hubba' Hollywood photo of his starlet wife.

The man did it all. :salut:

If you don't get it or want to spring for it at the bookstore, check the base library.

• 1 year later...

Him, him. Had a chance to meet him. I will never forget it. Incredible guy.

UPDATE-

His daughter could use some help. BGen Olds left a sizeable debt that she is trying to erase.

Mods- don't know if this breaks some rules on BO.net about asking for donations. My apologies if it does.

Excerpt from an email I received, as I'm sure many of you have as well:

"Subject: Robin Olds Fund

Greetings all.

I just got off the phone with Christina Olds. She’s understandably overcome by all the letters, phone calls and e-mails that have inundated her since she sent out her recent e-mail (see below) about Robin’s tax and financial difficulties. She has received many kind offers of financial help without strings attached which she hopes will help her erase the debts he left behind and enable her to keep many of his keepsakes, and memorabilia for later distribution to museums, Squadrons, Wings, and individuals. She feels this is a much better alternative than auctioning them off to the highest bidder.

If you would like to help, there are two ways to you can donate any amount. You can write a check made out to the "Estate of Robin Olds" and mail it to Christina Olds, PO Box 6601, Avon, CO 81620. This money will go directly to the Court-supervised account to close probate. She will figure out a way to give every contribution a "tax donation" certificate once she has opened a 501(3)c.

You can also mail a check to the River Rats, noting on the check that it is to go to the “Robin Olds Foundation”. The Rats will send the amount directly to Chris, and your contributions are a tax write-off. Mail your check to: RRVA National Office, P.O. Box 1553, Front Royal, VA 22630-0033, or go to the RRVA webpage: www.river-rats.org <http://www.river-rats.org/> and make your donation there."

Barney

You might want to encourage Christina Olds to set-up a Paypal account. Given General Old's worldwide fame, it might prove to be a wise move that will help clear the debt more rapidly.

As it stands, the cheque system cuts out a portion of those who might otherwise donate.

Edited by Steve Davies

General Olds' military decorations include the Air Force Cross, Distinguished Service Medal, Silver Star with three oak leaf clusters, Legion of Merit, Distinguished Flying Cross with five oak leaf clusters, Air Medal with 39 oak leaf clusters, British Distinguished Flying Cross, French Croix de Guerre, Vietnam Air Force Distinguished Service Order, Vietnam Air Gallantry Medal with gold wings, and Vietnam Air Service Medal.

That's incredible (among other things, like 16 kills).

In addition, he is a member of the College Football Hall of Fame. An extraordinary man. They just don't make 'em like that anymore.

Barney

You might want to encourage Christina Olds to set-up a Paypal account. Given General Old's worldwide fame, it might prove to be a wise move that will help clear the debt more rapidly.

As it stands, the cheque system cuts out a portion of those who might otherwise donate.

Steve,

Agreed, but I'm not a personal friend of the family, nor in touch with Christina directly. I'll see from the email I received if I can backtrack to someone who is and pass along the suggestion.

Cheers,

B

Agreed, but I'm not a personal friend of the family, nor in touch with Christina directly. I'll see from the email I received if I can backtrack to someone who is and pass along the suggestion.

I have the original message from the River Rats. I'll pass the suggestion along to them.

I have the original message from the River Rats. I'll pass the suggestion along to them.

Nice one, Toro.

You might also want to tell them that there is a 'Fighter Pilot Culture and History' supporters group on Facebook - there are around 500 members and they have a picture of Robin Olds as their banner: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=71523063853

I am sure that if Ms Olds can get a PayPal account, register it as a charity in order to get the fees waived, and posted in that Facebook group, she would see additional funds recieved.

When a parent dies, if they leave massive loans, you are not responsible. http://womentodaymagazine.com/money/inheritdebt.html. There are many other sources here, but the creditors cannot try and get money out of you, unless you plan to keep the estate. I do not mean to dishonor this thread, and I do not know his daughters situation. I'm just saying I would be cautious of putting money in a paypal account unless it is really her.

For one, I am not sure why you read Women Today magazine; but we'll save that discussion for later.

Secondly, while Olds' daughter may not be liable for the financial obligations and back taxes, his estate is. So technically she isn't the one being pursued for the debts, his estate is.

The request is to try and find a way--other than selling his memorabilia--to satisfy these financial obligations and taxes.

I honestly don't suspect a scam here, as Olds' daughter isn't from Nigeria; but the claim that his estate cannot be touched is simply not correct. Debts against the estate must be settled before any proceeds can be given to the beneficiaries.

If you want to read up more on it, try this link.

Otherwise, I hope that settles it, let's not clutter up this thread with further discussion on the legal matters concerning Olds' estate. If anyone wants to debate it further, we can take it to the bar in another thread.

Cheers! M2

Edited by M2
Add note on no more discussions...

M2 and everyone else,

-I wasn't trying to clutter the thread, but there are D-Bags that try and profit off of famous/legendary peoples' deaths. I was just trying to give a word of caution.

-Women's day is a great magazine...kidding...no i'm not.

Don't be a retard. This is legitimate.

Seriously.

I have spoken with the Vice President of the River Rats and they have lawyers involved in this to ensure that everything is done correctly. Expect the option for PayPal contributions soon.

I didn't mean to start any kind of problem here; I was just stating a possibility. Seeing that it is legite, I'd love to see the paypal account information for his daughter.

Gents

Robin Olds' daughter, Christina, has contacted me to say that she is working on the PayPal account for donations to her father's estate.

I am delighted to say that she is also reading these forums, so if you have any other suggestions for her, then please do chime in now...

Cheers

Steve

I also wonder whether the mods might be prepared to make this topic a sticky until such a time as the Estate's financial woes are remedied?

I also wonder whether the mods might be prepared to make this topic a sticky until such a time as the Estate's financial woes are remedied?

Gladly done!

Cheers! M2

Not sure what happened to this thread as I could not see it in the sticky box, but Christina Olds has now created a PayPal option for the "Rescue Robin" effort.

If you are interested in donating via PayPal, please PM me. Christina has asked me not to broadcast the email address, but I can and will send it on to individuals who are interested.

Once I have her permission, I will post the email address in this forum.

Cheers

Steve