Robin Olds, 1922-2007

Hacker

General Olds' military decorations include the Air Force Cross, Distinguished Service Medal, Silver Star with three oak leaf clusters, Legion of Merit, Distinguished Flying Cross with five oak leaf clusters, Air Medal with 39 oak leaf clusters, British Distinguished Flying Cross, French Croix de Guerre, Vietnam Air Force Distinguished Service Order, Vietnam Air Gallantry Medal with gold wings, and Vietnam Air Service Medal.

That's incredible (among other things, like 16 kills).

General Olds' military decorations include the Air Force Cross, Distinguished Service Medal, Silver Star with three oak leaf clusters, Legion of Merit, Distinguished Flying Cross with five oak leaf clusters, Air Medal with 39 oak leaf clusters, British Distinguished Flying Cross, French Croix de Guerre, Vietnam Air Force Distinguished Service Order, Vietnam Air Gallantry Medal with gold wings, and Vietnam Air Service Medal.

That's incredible (among other things, like 16 kills).

What a great American....RIP :salut:

:beer: THE GENERAL. Of all the military leaders, BG Olds stands out as, perhaps, the best leader of them all. As I stood, tonight, in the club at Laughlin, hearing the news that the general had died, I had a rush of sadness come over me. In my opinion, he is not only what a fighter pilot should be, but what an Air Force leader should be: brash, assertive and to-the-point. In other words, do what it takes to get the f-ing job done. Of course, I had a Malibu and OJ in his honor, toasting the man that has been my life-long hero. Assuring is the fact that he is once again flying with Chappy James, dancing in and out of the clouds, doing what he loved the most. Hopefully there is a young lady up there, sitting in the middle of his pipper. For the man that knew what being a pilot and an officer in the USAF is all about, we salute you.

Sir, may you make us, who have the power at our fingertips, the best leaders of the best air force in the world!

-Reez

Guest bullseyekp

As I sit here in my packed apartment (drinking a 750 of Left Hand Smoked Imperial Porter) preparing to leave for OTS on Friday, I am both encouraged and inspired after reading Olds' bio. What a bada$$!

:beer::beer: Him, him.

Guest Ghost63

:beer:

Only thing sadder than losing another great one is bringing his name up among the young'uns and hearing "who?" in reply.

A shot of weed in memory of the figher pilot's pilot.