Deployment Gear

Beaver

Dude, you can get a 3-color tan boonie cap for like $10 bucks online to go with your desert bag. I think I paid about $13 for one at the BX in A-stan to replace one I lost...

I've also seen the ABU boonie with the desert bag, and while you look like an idiot no one I've known got chiefed over it so I'm guessing it's authorized. Those have been in stock at every uniform shop I've seen.

Edited by nsplayr

Guest Hueypilot812

I know I can buy one online. I found out literally 2-3 days before I left that my UDM couldn't get one for me for free, so I'm gonna order it when I get there (see my original post). Trying to get my house ready for a 6 month deployment was more of a priority than ordering a hat. I just think it's shitty that they are "out of money" and expecting them to get their own stuff...what if I needed DFDUs? What then?

I know I can buy one online. I found out literally 2-3 days before I left that my UDM couldn't get one for me for free, so I'm gonna order it when I get there (see my original post). Trying to get my house ready for a 6 month deployment was more of a priority than ordering a hat. I just think it's shitty that they are "out of money" and expecting them to get their own stuff...what if I needed DFDUs? What then?

Yea, that is shitty man, flight suits are expensive and you can't exactly go out to walmart and pick one up. GL getting your stuff together and don't sweat the hat.

• 1 year later...

Going for a staff gig, have to wear shoe clerk duds

So, say some one is going for 6 months-ish to be a worthless well-thought-out addition at OTBH (in a non-flying, power-pointing/emailing gig)... reporting instructions (Apr 2011) only talk about "staff" positions wearing ABUs. Can I assume that if I am not an exec, commander or something close that I am not "staff" and therefor I can go in desert flight suits, rather than ponying up $400 for ABUs? I also have 2 sets of multi-cams, would I be out of place wearing those instead of buying ABUs?

Not sure what MWS you are but the tanker staff guys were wearing bags or ABU's (their choice).

I heard rumor that the old chief boom or someone along those lines was rocking multicam's but your best bet is to email whoever you are replacing (or worst case your gaining DO) and ask them directly.

Multicams at the Died.

I LOLed.

Admittedly, I have been CONUS-only for about 5 years... so I imagine a few things have changed out there. I went to ask for ABUs, they said it was illegal to issue me those so they gave 2 sets of multicams instead.