Gun Talk

VL-16

Thanks for the info, M2. Kind of disappointed you can't use anything larger than .30 caliber for rifles there. I'd like to do some 200yd shooting with my .375 H&H. Oh well, still looks awesome.

Glocks in .40 S&W have been known to kaboom because of the higher pressure of the round and the case head not being fully supported in the chamber. It's usually not a big deal, but I can see how it would leave a bad taste in this PD's mouth (sts). I'm not aware that it is a problem in any other calibers that Glock offers in their guns, but I suspect it's because the case head is not fully supported, and the pressure was just too much for the brass that it blew. Still great guns, but I don't own any "tupperware" pistols.

ETA: Found the link on Glock kabooms. Glock kB!

Edited by Timbonez

T-bonez

That .375 H&H is sweet! Just when I finally got all my itches scratched, I now may have another!

Honestly, you may want to just bring it out and ask the RSO if you can shoot. I understand the month prior to hunting season (October) is a bad time to go out there as the place gets packed with hunters dialing in their rifles; but outside of that timeframe you might just find yourself the only guy out there and the RSO will allow it. Worse case, you don't shoot it.

And I don't think the two-gun rule is strictly enforced, I plan to take my four 1911s out in a couple of weekends and I will just have two out at a time. I also don't see any problems with swapping weapons out from your vehicle.

As for the Glock kB issue, I believe most of it was due to overpowered reloads and as a former Glock fan (since owning an XD I now have a new favorite), I wouldn't let it stop me from owning one especially considering the military sales program they have. That said, for the money I think the XD is a much better pistol! Maybe I should start saving for a XD-45 Tactical next!

Cheers! M2

Thanks, M2. It's a CZ 550 Safari Magnum, and I mounted a Leupold VX-II 2-7x33 scope. I like the CZ because it has a full length magnum action, it has controlled round feeding, 5+1 capacity (in .375 H&H), an awesome single set trigger, and it didn't break the bank. If I can't shoot it in San Antonio, it's no big deal. I have plenty of other guns I can shoot. I don't mind that 2 gun limit really. I usually don't bring more than 2 in any given range session anyway, because I hate cleaning a bunch of guns afterwards.

Edited by Timbonez

M2, thanks for the info as well - do they consider 7.62mm to fall under the .30 restriction or are AK/SKS etc cleared hot?

I shot my SKS there last Saturday and the RSO didn't bat an eye (except for all the brass it was spitting!).

Cheers! M2

Glocks in .40 S&W have been known to kaboom because of the higher pressure of the round and the case head not being fully supported in the chamber. It's usually not a big deal, but I can see how it would leave a bad taste in this PD's mouth (sts). I'm not aware that it is a problem in any other calibers that Glock offers in their guns, but I suspect it's because the case head is not fully supported, and the pressure was just too much for the brass that it blew. Still great guns, but I don't own any "tupperware" pistols.

ETA: Found the link on Glock kabooms. Glock kB!

And the group of Glocks in the article above have been linked to bad ammunition. The agency had the first issue a few years before and the ammunition company took it all back but apparently some was still floating around in the agency's storage facility. Used the ammo again, gun blow up again. I personally think the 9mm Glocks (17/19) are the best 9mms on the planet - they are to 9mm pistols what AKs are to "assault" rifles. If I were shooting .40S&W I would buy a Smith and Wesson M&P. If I were shooting .45ACP I would think hard about the HK45 and M&P 45.

BF

And the group of Glocks in the article above have been linked to bad ammunition. The agency had the first issue a few years before and the ammunition company took it all back but apparently some was still floating around in the agency's storage facility. Used the ammo again, gun blow up again. I personally think the 9mm Glocks (17/19) are the best 9mms on the planet - they are to 9mm pistols what AKs are to "assault" rifles. If I were shooting .40S&W I would buy a Smith and Wesson M&P. If I were shooting .45ACP I would think hard about the HK45 and M&P 45.

BF

+1 on the HK 45 or HKUSP 9. Both have been flawless for me. As for Glocks, I decided on the 34 which is like the 17 (9mm) but has a longer slide and barrel, and the accuracy after 1500 rounds is still equivolent to my HKs. I don't care for the grip angle as much, but their products have been reliable and accurate for me. I wouldn't compare them to the AK rifles, you can easu=ily put better iron sights on the Glock, but the AK leaves something to be desired from its irons. Overall the Glock 34 is a great weapon, cheap high cap mags, well built and never jams. I invested in a recoil buffer and Trijicon sights. I liek to shoot 9mm because its so much cheaper than .40 or .45 and I recommend every serious shooter does the same. hell I wish I had a .22 just so I could buy more ammo and shoot more.

T-bonez

It has 50, 100, 200 and 300 yard berms; I shot the SKS there again yesterday and was restricted to 100 yards.

For pistols, you can set your target anywhere within the 50 yard range.

By the way, I had the place to myself for an hour yesterday. Another group showed up as I was getting ready to leave; but for my time it was all mine!

Cheers! M2

Next Saturday I am taking my four 1911s out to Bullis. If anyone wants to come out, I'll be there around 0800 and if you want to shoot them, bring some .45 ACP with ya!

And if you plan on going but haven't gotten the info from me yet, once you are on Bullis you will need to check into Range Control before entering the range (the training range, not the shooting range) and the Outdoor Recreation Center before going to the shooting range. The gate guards will direct you to the Range Control office (easy to find), Range Control will give you directions to the Outdoor Recreation Center (it's a short and easy drive) and the Outdoor Recreation Center will give you directions to the shooting range (again, not hard to find).

Cheers! M2

ar15q.jpg

ar15a.jpg

My new anti Zombie device.

BCM 16" upper.

Superior Arms Lower.

Daniel Defense Rail.

Nice rifle, stoleit. Midlengths are the shit. Now you just need an optic. I'm assuming that's a Troy BUIS? How does it shoot?

Edited by Timbonez

Yea it's a Troy. Thing is built like a rock.

I really liked shooting it. The rifle is definitely more accurate than I am so far. Not used to the vertical grip. Last time I shot an M16A2 w/the Army I shot expert. I haven't gotten used to this setup (actually preferred the A2 over the M4). I only put about 50rd's through it. Need more range time.

Yea it's a Troy. Thing is built like a rock.

I really liked shooting it. The rifle is definitely more accurate than I am so far. Not used to the vertical grip. Last time I shot an M16A2 w/the Army I shot expert. I haven't gotten used to this setup (actually preferred the A2 over the M4). I only put about 50rd's through it. Need more range time.

That's great though. Do you like your VFG that far out on the rail? Also, I know that the DD Omega is free floated and uses the delta ring to do it. Does it lock up tight?

That's great though. Do you like your VFG that far out on the rail? Also, I know that the DD Omega is free floated and uses the delta ring to do it. Does it lock up tight?

The rail is solid. And yea I prefer the grip out that far. I am not using it for CQB or anything so I keep it on the far end and keep the stock fully extended.

OK, I can research this (and I will); but I thought I would seek the collective wisdom of those here...

My sister has a Ruger .357 magnum revolver, 4 inch barrel, blue steel that she bought back in 1990 when the Gainesville murders were going on. I suspect it looks like this one or is pretty similar...

RUGP141blue.jpg

She hasn't shot it in five years and wants to get rid of it. I've offered to take it and although she hasn't mentioned a price, I wanted to figure out what would be fair.

The pistol probably doesn't have 50 rounds through it, and I don't know the condition as she isn't a gun aficionado like her little brother! I would suspect it isn’t that bad, and the wife and kids are heading out her way to visit next week and she offered to have my wife bring it back with her if she’s willing.

As such, if anyone has any idea of what a good price range would be, or any experience with this particular gun, please speak up. I have a 1954 Colt .357 (pre-Python) that was my late father’s and I would like to put it in a display case and have this Ruger to shoot (the Colt is a hoot to shoot!).

Cheers! M2

M2, I used to have a Ruger GP100 (the one you pictured) with 4" barrel. It was a great handgun, but I gave it to my brother for Christmas. I bought it new for something like $425-$475, but I can't remember exactly. If it is a GP100 it will come with grips like this:

ruger-gp100.gif The switch to the all rubber hogue grip wasn't until recently.

Ruger used to make a .357 model called the Security Six. It's no longer produced (1988 was the last year according to Wikipedia), but it might be what your sister owns since she bought it close to its end of manufacture date. Ask her what model revolver it is. Below is what a Security Six looks like.

ruger_security_six_01.jpg

Ruger's revolvers are made of investment casting instead of your standard forging. Most people look down on that as forging is seen as the better manufacturing process. However, Ruger has suffered no ill effects because of this. If you just simply look at and handle one of their revolvers you know it's built like a tank. Their revolvers are known for their extreme durability, and if you plan on reloading .357 you can expect it to withstand the hottest loads in that caliber. I'm sure any used price you ask for currently will be close to or over what she paid for it in 1990. So it all depends on just how much you love your sister?

T-bonez

Thanks, the good news is she now said I could have it as a "gift."

The bad news is I had hoped my wife could just bring it back with her when she and the kids visited next week; but I found out that Federal law prohibits any handguns from being acquired outside of your state of residence being brought into your state without going through a FFL:

§478.29 Out-of-State acquisition of firearms by nonlicensees. No person, other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, shall transport into or receive in the State where the person resides (or if a corporation or other business entity, where it maintains a place of business) any firearm purchased or otherwise obtained by such person outside that State.

Sure, it is a commonly ignored law; but since this is my sister we are talking about, and my wife is also involved, I am taking the 100% legal route. As such, my wife is going to pick it up and ship it to a buddy of mine who has a FFL. So it'll cost $60 or so to UPS it, but at least it will all be above board.

Also, she says she's kept it cleaned and oiled, and that it is in good shape. But I did go back and ask her if she knew she could shoot .38 Specials in it as well. I am not sure she realizes that, and the lighter round might make it more tolerable for her; but knowing my sister she probably isn't too big on having it around the house so if she wants to give it to me, I am not going to argue with her!

Cheers! M2

p.s. Oh, and it is a GP100!

Since there were questions concerning calibers allowed at Bullis, I found the reg (FSH Reg 350-2) that listed what can be shot:

(3) Weapons authorized: Includes .22, .30, .308, 7.62mm rifles. Other rifles may be fired if it can be determined that the maximum range associated with the particular weapon/ammunition combination is no greater than 5288 meters/5782 yards. This determination will be made by outdoor recreation personnel.

(4) Ammunition authorized: .22, .30 cal, 308, 5.56 mm, 9 mm, 10mm, .357, .38, .44, and .45.

(5) Number of firing points: 6 points.

(6) Maximum range fired at: 200 yards (portable targets 25 meters - 200 meters).

(7) Automatic fire allowed: No.

(8) Guard required: None.

(9) Other special requirements: Report to Outdoor Recreation Center, pay fees, sign release of liability, and turn in release to Range Safety/OIC. A representative from Hunting Headquarters must be at the range during firing. Weapons or munitions, other than stated above, must be approved prior to use by the Outdoor Recreation Center. The C range must be COLD in order to check targets on the Sportsman's Range. The Sportsman's range will not normally be scheduled at the same time as the C range.

Cheers! M2

Next Saturday I am taking my four 1911s out to Bullis. If anyone wants to come out, I'll be there around 0800 and if you want to shoot them, bring some .45 ACP with ya!

And if you plan on going but haven't gotten the info from me yet, once you are on Bullis you will need to check into Range Control before entering the range (the training range, not the shooting range) and the Outdoor Recreation Center before going to the shooting range. The gate guards will direct you to the Range Control office (easy to find), Range Control will give you directions to the Outdoor Recreation Center (it's a short and easy drive) and the Outdoor Recreation Center will give you directions to the shooting range (again, not hard to find).

Cheers! M2

M2... Do you have to take any AAAAAArrrrmy training courses before you can use the Range at Bullis? Sorry I missed the gaggle this morning, didn't see this post until just now.... But would be great to stumble across the street at shoot there instead of Bracken...

2's Blind....

M2... Do you have to take any AAAAAArrrrmy training courses before you can use the Range at Bullis? Sorry I missed the gaggle this morning, didn't see this post until just now.... But would be great to stumble across the street at shoot there instead of Bracken...

2's Blind....

Nope, just call the Hunting Lodge to see if the range is open, then get onto Bullis and stop at the Range Control office (the gate guard will give you directions if you need them). Go to the Hunting Lodge and sign in. If you get a season pass ($25), then bring the name, caliber and serial numbers of all the weapons you plan to bring out to shoot. I just gave them a printed list. If you get a season pass, you'll also get a range decal so you won't have to stop at the Range Control office again. If you 'pay as you go,' it's $4/day and you get no range decal.

I went out again this morning at 0800 and was alone (except for the RSO) for the first hour. I brought my four 1911s and he never looked up from his newspaper. The guy might think I am a bit of a nut, as even if I am the only one on the range I ask for a 'cease fire/range cold' as well as a 'range hot.' I just prefer to keep the same procedure no matter if I am by myself or if the range is full of shooters. One of the main reasons I am so happy shooting at Bullis is that my previous range, the Bullethole, has gotten very lax in enforcing range safety and it seems like every time I went there I witnessed some buffoonery and it was only a matter of time before someone would get accidentally shot or killed. Therefore, I am steering clear of the place.

Cheers! M2

Nope, just call the Hunting Lodge to see if the range is open, then get onto Bullis and stop at the Range Control office (the gate guard will give you directions if you need them). Go to the Hunting Lodge and sign in. If you get a season pass ($25), then bring the name, caliber and serial numbers of all the weapons you plan to bring out to shoot. I just gave them a printed list. If you get a season pass, you'll also get a range decal so you won't have to stop at the Range Control office again. If you 'pay as you go,' it's $4/day and you get no range decal.

I went out again this morning at 0800 and was alone (except for the RSO) for the first hour. I brought my four 1911s and he never looked up from his newspaper. The guy might think I am a bit of a nut, as even if I am the only one on the range I ask for a 'cease fire/range cold' as well as a 'range hot.' I just prefer to keep the same procedure no matter if I am by myself or if the range is full of shooters. One of the main reasons I am so happy shooting at Bullis is that my previous range, the Bullethole, has gotten very lax in enforcing range safety and it seems like every time I went there I witnessed some buffoonery and it was only a matter of time before someone would get accidentally shot or killed. Therefore, I am steering clear of the place.

Cheers! M2

M2, is it normal for it to be empty like that on a Saturday morning? If so, that's great. I like having the range to myself. The two ranges "close" to Pensacola are almost always packed open-close on the weekends.