Gun Talk

VL-16

So I know a lot of you guys aren't a fan of the Slide Fire Solutions stock (SSAR), but it's neat to see that they finally came out with one for the AK. M2, are you going to buy one? I'm planning on eventually getting one for the AR since guys have gotten it to work with the MP-15-22. And you never know, I might just buy another AK (a cheap one) and get the SSAK. And yes, it serves no purpose other than to be silly and have some fun shooting.

Not my cup of tea, to be honest; and since I have access to some FA weaponry courtesy of a Class III dealer bud of mine, I don't really have much motivation to get one.

I simply think there is too much liability involved with these things, good luck trying to use one at a range and not drawing attention. Heck, even the last time we had a FA shoot here at a private range the local sheriff's office showed up. Luckily one of the shooters is the chief of police of a local municipality, and was in his duty vehicle so there was no drama; but the deputy told us someone called in claiming it "sounded like a war going on" where we were only shooting one magazine every five minutes or so. Since they only sent one deputy to respond indicated that the sheriff's department obviously knew it wasn't a big deal; but the mere fact that he even showed up demonstrates that any indication of rapid firing will get noticed.

The bottom line is that since there are easier/cheaper ways to bump-fire, I'll save the $289.95 for more important things like ammo!

Cheers! M2

I have wanted a Colt Python for several years now, and so I finally took the plunge. This revolver has the smoothest double action pull of any handgun I've ever handle. The pictures don't show it very well, but there is a modest amount of wear at the end of the under lug near the barrel. There is also some high spot wear on the lower front corners of the frame. That doesn't concern me much, since it's meant to be a shooter. I also have a Colt Official Police in .38 special headed my way. Pics of that will be added later.

post-5322-0-14267800-1325268118_thumb.jp

post-5322-0-62436200-1325268155_thumb.jp

http://www.stagarms.com/product_info.php?cPath=13_44&products_id=384

Just got it in the mail yesterday. Cheaper than dirt's price is $1211. I've only done the break in shooting on it so far, but am going to get sights this weekend and put some serious lead downrange. I did a ton of research before I bought this and you can't build a gun of this quality cheaper.

• Upvote 1

T-bonez

Sweet Python, I've got an early one (actually a 1954 pre-Python with a four-digit serial number) that was my Dad's. I love it, but I picked up a Ruger GP100 for when I have to scratch that .357 itch. It's worth too much to me to shoot on a regular basis, but I have shot it (as has my son) and now it's locked away someplace safe.

When I have taken that pistol to the range it always draws attention. It's not only the sheer 'percussion' caused by the round (you can literally feel it several feet away) but also impact it makes both on the target and the dirt berm behind it! It is easy to understand why it was the first choice of lawmen for so long!

Cheers! M2

p.s. This just came up for sale in Houston, $1300 is the F2F asking price. Tempting, but it does have some rust already setting in (see photos below) so I'm gonna pass...

11778-fs-colt-python-8-357-reduced-284264_10150254925849934_685614933_7647870_1209415_n.jpg

11779d1325310288-fs-colt-python-8-357-reduced-imag0158.jpg

11780d1325310328-fs-colt-python-8-357-reduced-imag0160.jpg

Colt Python = top 10 handgun!

Colt M1911

Glock (for historical significance as first successful polymer which now drives most of the market today. I'm not a fan since they don't "feel" right for me)

S&W Model 29

Colt Python

Walther PPK

CZ75

Browning Hi-Power

Webley .455

Others?

Shipped Dec. 29 from LA, CA; arrived today in PA... and that was the free shipping.

I know Botach Tactical has taken a 'Net beating in the past re: some shipping and order fulfilment issues, but the two orders I placed with them this year (this one, and one for 8 PMags a couple months ago) were painless and shipped quickly.

Tomorrow or Monday, I'm headed to the range.

T-bonez

Sweet Python, I've got an early one (actually a 1954 pre-Python with a four-digit serial number) that was my Dad's. I love it, but I picked up a Ruger GP100 for when I have to scratch that .357 itch. It's worth too much to me to shoot on a regular basis, but I have shot it (as has my son) and now it's locked away someplace safe.

When I have taken that pistol to the range it always draws attention. It's not only the sheer 'percussion' caused by the round (you can literally feel it several feet away) but also impact it makes both on the target and the dirt berm behind it! It is easy to understand why it was the first choice of lawmen for so long!

Cheers! M2

M2, my Python is of 1976 vintage. I have 9 S&W revolvers in calibers .22lr, .38/.357, and .45 ACP. I also have a Russian Nagant, Webley Mk VI, and a .22lr revolver that my father gave to me. I decided that I finally wanted the Python, and I ended up buying an Official Police as well. Revolvers are my favorite type of handgun bar none. 1911s and Hi-Powers are tied for second, with Glocks and Berettas sharing third.

Colt Python = top 10 handgun!

Colt M1911

Glock (for historical significance as first successful polymer which now drives most of the market today. I'm not a fan since they don't "feel" right for me)

S&W Model 29

Colt Python

Walther PPK

CZ75

Browning Hi-Power

Webley .455

Others?

Brick,

S&W Models 10, 19, 27/28

Shipped Dec. 29 from LA, CA; arrived today in PA... and that was the free shipping.

I know Botach Tactical has taken a 'Net beating in the past re: some shipping and order fulfilment issues, but the two orders I placed with them this year (this one, and one for 8 PMags a couple months ago) were painless and shipped quickly.

Tomorrow or Monday, I'm headed to the range.

I've used Botach Tactical a few times to buy Glock mags. They have the best prices on them, and their free shipping is also a motivator. The few times that I've used them, I haven't had a problem.

Edited by Timbonez

A good review, but I'm still not convinced it's worth the money...

M2, my Python is of 1976 vintage. I have 9 S&W revolvers in calibers .22lr, .38/.357, and .45 ACP. I also have a Russian Nagant, Webley Mk VI, and a .22lr revolver that my father gave to me. I decided that I finally wanted the Python, and I ended up buying an Official Police as well. Revolvers are my favorite type of handgun bar none. 1911s and Hi-Powers are tied for second, with Glocks and Berettas sharing third.

T-bonez

Is your Webley shaved or still in .455? I've got one that's 95%+ that I paid a pretty penny for a few years back, but it was still in .455 and I had to get it. I've since picked up a pathetic Mk IV that some bozo scrubbed all the bluing off, but I felt I owed it to the poor thing to give it a good home. I've contemplated rebluing it, but honestly I think that would screw it up even further. I will love it as it is...

Cheers! M2

I've enjoyed many of that guy's reviews. They are well done and down to Earth. The SSAR/SSAK stocks, however, are a waste of money. You're wasting money on the product, you're wasting money on the ammo that your missing all those dirt clods with on "fully automatic" fire, and you're burning out your barrel faster. If that's your cup of tea, then rock on. It looks like a lot of fun, but I can think of much better ways to spend money on firearms/ammo and still have fun while also getting some sort of benefit from it.

Edited by Timbonez

T-bonez

Is your Webley shaved or still in .455? I've got one that's 95%+ that I paid a pretty penny for a few years back, but it was still in .455 and I had to get it. I've since picked up a pathetic Mk IV that some bozo scrubbed all the bluing off, but I felt I owed it to the poor thing to give it a good home. I've contemplated rebluing it, but honestly I think that would screw it up even further. I will love it as it is...

Cheers! M2

Mine is still in .455. I remember I purchased mine just before you got yours. If I recall correctly yours is in better condition in the finish department, but mine still looks decent enough. Someone had messed with the screws where the frame pivots, but I'm still able to unscrew them to takedown the revolver if I needed to. I guess I should look for replacement screws. I'm also considering rebluing mine. I don't plan on selling it, so it doesn't bother me if it hurts the collectibility.

Old school home defense:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11361/1199563-100.stm

Somerset County District Attorney Jerry Spangler will not charge a man who fatally shot another man with a bow and arrow, saying today that changes in the state's Castle Doctrine factored into his decision.

The man told him to leave repeatedly. When Mr. Bittinger attempted to come up the stairs, the man shot him in the chest with an arrow. He died before first responders arrived.

but I can think of much better ways to spend money on firearms/ammo and still have fun while also getting some sort of benefit from it.

For a little more $ you could take a class and actually learn to shoot.

I picked up the Colt Official Police today. It's chambered in .38 Special and has a 5" barrel. The serial number on this revolver puts it at 1948 vintage. There is some wear on the muzzle, the cylinder, and the lower front corners of the frame. Lock up is tight, typical of Colt DA revolvers. The DA pull, while not as good as the Python, is still quite smooth with some stacking before the break. I'll have to open it up to make sure it's clean, but overall it appears mechanically sound. I find that the grips on this one feel more comfortable than the ones on the Python. We'll see if that holds up when I take it out shooting.

post-5322-0-24118000-1325616976_thumb.jp

post-5322-0-59727200-1325616998_thumb.jp

Edited by Timbonez

I picked up the Colt Official Police today. It's chambered in .38 Special and has a 5" barrel. The serial number on this revolver puts it at 1948 vintage. There is some wear on the muzzle, the cylinder, and the lower front corners of the frame. Lock up is tight, typical of Colt DA revolvers. The DA pull, while not as good as the Python, is still quite smooth with some stacking before the break. I'll have to open it up to make sure it's clean, but overall it appears mechanically sound. I find that the grips on this one feel more comfortable than the ones on the Python. We'll see if that holds up when I take it out shooting.

post-5322-0-24118000-1325616976_thumb.jp

post-5322-0-59727200-1325616998_thumb.jp

Your new Python is fuckin' sweet. I just put an Apex trigger kit in my S&W 642CT. The DAO trigger pull still sucks but maybe the laser will scare somebody. On the other hand I put an Apex Forward Set Sear in my 9mm M&P...best striker fired trigger you'll ever feel.

And my old lady got me another shooting class in March. Life is good.

For a little more $ you could take a class and actually learn to shoot.

Definitely a valid point to make as it is important to never stop learning and training/increasing your abilities to effectively use firearms.

Having said that, as a non LE guy/someone who doesn't regularly handle firearms in my everyday job, shooting also serves a recreational purpose in my life along with its most important role of self defense. Most of us buy guns for the mere pleasure of owning and shooting them, and that's quite fine as it's all about personal decisions in regards to how and what people spend their money. So if guys want to spend a few hundred bucks on a stock that will put a smile on their face, then why not? As for the price of ammo, running cheap 7.62 ammo through an old AK doesn't really cost that much compared to when people are spending hundreds of dollars every few months on firearms that they don't really need. Again, all personal preference.

I would argue that most gun owners probably don't have their firearms adequately protected against house fires and theft. A top quality gun safe (not a RSC) costs 5-6K minimum--you're more likely to have a house fire or a break in vs having to engage someone with your AR-15 in a 'tactical' situation.

Just another perspective to add to the conversation!

As for the price of ammo, running cheap 7.62 ammo through an old AK doesn't really cost that much compared to when people are spending hundreds of dollars every few months on firearms that they don't really need....

Hey! Wait a sec! Was that a jab at me?!? :nob:

Oklahoma teen mom called 'hero' for fatally shooting intruder

Some might call it a case of swift Oklahoma justice for at least one of two intruders -- both reportedly high on prescription drugs -- who tried to break into a young widow's home on New Year's Eve.

Sarah McKinley, 18, calmly used a shotgun to shoot and kill one of the men when he forced his way through the front door of her mobile home and past a sofa she had used to barricade it.

. . .

McKinley told NewsOK that she tried to hold off as long as she could, waiting for police to arrive, while Martin kept pounding on the front door. At one point, she gave her son a bottle to keep him from crying too loud -- and possibly alerting the intruders to her specific location.

"I didn't want to give away my position in the house, I wanted to see him first," she said of the intruders during this video interview with NewsOK.

Cool headed chick.

I think this has been posted before, but it's worth another look...

This would be good for a gun safety course.

Oh, and before anyone asks, I am not featured anywhere in this video (but there are a few hot chicks in it! :rock: )

Cheers! M2

Definitely a valid point to make as it is important to never stop learning and training/increasing your abilities to effectively use firearms.

Having said that, as a non LE guy/someone who doesn't regularly handle firearms in my everyday job, shooting also serves a recreational purpose in my life along with its most important role of self defense. Most of us buy guns for the mere pleasure of owning and shooting them, and that's quite fine as it's all about personal decisions in regards to how and what people spend their money. So if guys want to spend a few hundred bucks on a stock that will put a smile on their face, then why not? As for the price of ammo, running cheap 7.62 ammo through an old AK doesn't really cost that much compared to when people are spending hundreds of dollars every few months on firearms that they don't really need. Again, all personal preference.

I would argue that most gun owners probably don't have their firearms adequately protected against house fires and theft. A top quality gun safe (not a RSC) costs 5-6K minimum--you're more likely to have a house fire or a break in vs having to engage someone with your AR-15 in a 'tactical' situation.

Just another perspective to add to the conversation!

I've got nooooo problem with someone blowing cash on guns, trust me. I would just put out there that if a person has ANY thought of using a gun in a self or home defense role that they seek out professional training. A basic pistol class is far from ninja training. I equate it to pilot training: when you graduate UPT you know how to take off and land and fly around a little bit. But you have 0 clue how to employ an airplane as a weapon. Same thing with guns.

• Upvote 1

I can't vouch for the quality, but I'm amazed at how cheap it is now to put together a functioning AR!

I got an email from classic arms today that lists a complete Delton carbine upper for $380. Additionally, they offer the same upper with a LPK plus buffer tube/stock for $450, meaning that the only thing you'll need is a stripped lower which can be had for as little as $60.

If you're a polymer fan, also listed in the email is a complete Plumcrazy lower for $130. I've never tried these, but the price is nice and if you combine it with the Delton upper then you have a complete AR for $510 plus shipping/FFL. I know it's not mil-spec, but if it's just a range toy how much do you need to spend?

Discuss.

-9-