Ever bust a checkride?

Techsan

Guest Bender

For future polling reference...seems it's difficult to only answer one. Thus, since I'm just up for my first ops checkride now...consider the "no down grades, ever" skewed by 1.

BENDY

Contact was probably the toughest...mostly because it was your very first checkride in pilot training. If you could get past your nerves, you'd most likely do fine. I was lucky to get a really nice IP for my contact checkride. Out in the MOA, we were given a traffic call by MOA monitor and the IP said that he found the traffic first, I would bust. However, he said if I found the traffic first, I would pass. We both never saw the traffic. He ended up giving me a 0E, which was a little shocking to me. Then I busted my next checkride...yippee!

My favorite evaluator saying...."My hands are tied."

Yeah, whatever.

Guest rumblefish_2

Busted my Tweet contact check ride when I rolled off the perch with my gear up. One of those "hands are tied" deals for sure. Haven't busted one since...

Guest gtyj98

I remember busting for three things in a span of about 15 seconds on my taco-laden "midphase" check.

Whe did it become "contact"?

I remember busting for three things in a span of about 15 seconds on my taco-laden "midphase" check.

Whe did it become "contact"?

Ya thats how mine went immediately after having to go around on my full stop. Didnt offset enough (what a douche) so he took the jet and offset me more, then i broke out of the pattern the wrong way, then I broke out for someone on 90 to initial (which I thought was VFR leg...so I didnt need to break out.) Then I got drug out on a full stop.

It was midphase when I was there too...not sure if it changed or not

Guest Hydro130

Yep, after my abortion of a UPT mid-phase check, all the EP could say was "Hot or Mild sauce with that?...". That was my only checkride bust, thank goodness. I've had a coupla operational checks with a downgrade in 'em, but no biggie.

The most painful "checkride" (checkout, really, it wasn't a Form 8 generator) I ever had was - by far - my lead upgrade checkout. Wow. My EP for that ride was a true artist of lead-upgrade asspain - by that point in the program, I (very naively) thought I'd seen about everything, but he pulled out some impressive tricks on that ride. I say that with pure admiration now; at the time, I was just cursing and sweating profusely, struggling to keep my ass-kicked SA somewhere in the proximity of the airplane...

Fantastic learning experience though; that tough, eat-your-own lead syllabus I went through served me very well!

Cheers, Hydro

How about a couple of categories for Q-1Es - 1 Q-1E, 2 or more Q-1Es. It seems the poll is skewed to screwing up- how about when you water their eyes.

I'm all about the cup being half empty. :thumbsup:

BTW, slacker130, my eyes are strangely drawn to your avatar. Milk anyone?

Guest 130JGuardFlyer

I busted my instrument check ride for ground ops...GROUND OPS! On top of that, it was late July at sweltering CBM, and I had to check on a Saturday because we were behind the almighty Timeline.

In the debrief the FAIP checkpilot said, "It sucks to have a check ride on a Saturday - sucks more to hook it."

People who say they enjoyed Phase II should be shot.

Guest Boom

I'm pretty sure someone on the C-17 I refueled from McChord busted his today.

I'm sorry, but I had a good time in Phase II at Laughlin. Our Flt/CC was a complete douche (along with one or two of the FAIPs), but the flying and times I had with the friends I made there were awesome. I don't know if I'd want to do it all over again, but I remember it fondly.

Guest Gumps

At EN we call it Contact, UPT guys typically call it Midphase. And we don't call it Final Contact, it's Advanced Contact. Don't ask me why, I don't know.

I busted my instrument check ride for ground ops...GROUND OPS! On top of that, it was late July at sweltering CBM, and I had to check on a Saturday because we were behind the almighty Timeline.

In the debrief the FAIP checkpilot said, "It sucks to have a check ride on a Saturday - sucks more to hook it."

People who say they enjoyed Phase II should be shot.

I hear ya bro. I remember when you told me about that! I had that same IP for my Instrument check. We were out in the MOA, and my Mode-C takes a dump! So he got me radar vectors for the ILS to the center runway from Area Red low and I landed with 1700 lbs. He told me that was the shortest checkride he had ever presided over. Got a 3E!

I hooked my formation check on a one item bust which resulted in an 8U. My flight commander tells me that wasn't too bad actually. The douchebag EP told me I few out of the MOA three times, in Area Red low for that matter! The third time when I flew out, which gave me the all mighty taco, was quite questionable. Oh well! FAIP IP's are never wrong, right?? :flipoff:

People who say they enjoyed Phase II obviously went to Whiting (like me).

My old man was an IP at VT-3 back in the 80's!! Told me of some of the f***** up $hit he did to the students! He never heard the end of it from me!

• 2 weeks later...
The third time when I flew out, which gave me the all mighty taco, was quite questionable. Oh well! FAIP IP's are never wrong, right?? :flipoff:

I don't know what the policy is these days, but when I went through UPT, flying out of the area was pretty much an automatic bust. If you flew out twice for sure, and had one that was questionable, it sounds to me like a clean kill... no offense intended. That's UPT for ya.

Cheers,

Cam

Guest RabidWombat

yeah dude,

i have to agree with cam on that one. at moody (which doesnt matter anymore because the fires are out now) even thinking about going out of the area was cause for hookage....

signs you hooked your ride in upt:

-your faip instructor is joking with other faip instructors about "a kill"

-you hear any variation of "my hands are tied"

-your instructor takes shots of tequila in the debrief... (witnessed that feat twice)

-you are having a good day/week and are feeling great about that particular ride

-it is your birthday

-you hear any refernce to mexican food/taco's/hot sauce

-your instructor asks, "do you even know where you are right now?" (even if you do... you will not win this argument.

at least not in a t6, in the 44 you can look the ip in the eye and say yes, right here).

-your instructor has "something going on afterwards"

-you cracked a joke/walked down the hall smiling/seemed to be enjoying yourself

-you see your IP at waffle house at 0230, drunkenly offer to buy his breakfast, he refuses, then you throw a 20 spot at him, say i wipe my A$$ with fifties!, and end up flying with him 30 hrs later...(my old roomie, not me)

peace,

RW

Ha, nice list wombat. That about sums it up. Man that last one must have been pretty damn awkward. The area thing seems to be IP-dependent. I've heard of a couple studs getting away w/ a slight area bust, but I've heard from most IPs that there's no tolerance for that, so guess it's just the couple "easy" IPs that decide not to hook you for that.