Headset questions

Guest Jetjock19

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My squadron in the Marine Corps bought the Oregon Aero hushkits and Zetaliners for our flight helmets. The difference was like night & day...

Oregon Aero's stuff is well-worth the money IMO.

Guest Hydro

Yep, that Zetaliner is the cat's ass too, no doubt. Especially with nogs strapped on up there for many hours at a pop.

Interesting, I've never really liked the zetaliner. I preferred the old heated bubble wrap crap.

HD

We had a few guys that didn't like the Zeta for some reason, too. Never quite understood it myself... but we were actually allowed to choose between the O.A. products and the stock G.I. stuff, so it was a non-issue.

I always wanted to get that D.I.Y. ANR kit for my helmet, but every time I had the money available, it needed to be spent somewhere else.

Guest slowrider

Does anyone know how to convert the bose headset from mil to GA? If I bought the GA cable ($150) from Bose and installed it would it work? Any success stories? Thanks

Guest sleepy

Haven't done it yet myself since I'm not doing much GA flying right now, but if the $150 adapter of which you speak is one of the ones found at this link http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_...s&ck=0#tabs then I say go for it. Remove the two screws that hold the microphone boom to the ear cup, install new mic, cord, and requisite screws and viola, you have a switchhitting headset. IMO, it's well worth the little bit of extra money, and you don't have to worry about the cumbersome adapter.

EDIT: To clarify, the Bose aviation headband/phone cups are all the same. If you were to buy one for a helicopter, you would receive one box with just the headband/phone cups and another box with the microphone in it. Likewise with a coiled cord dual GA plug. The only ones that come as one box, no assemlbly required, are the straight cord, battery powered, dual plug GA setups.

At least that's they way it was six months ago. Hope that helps.

Edited by sleepy

• 9 months later...
Guest F16crewdwgg

I just baught a new asa aviation headset, in the box it has a foam piece to put over the mic. It also comes with a little rubber cirlce, almost like a little gasket or tiny rubber band. What is that for? I thought it went over the foam.. but it doesn't really fit over it well. I don't wan't to break it if it has a good purpose. There is no directions for it either.

I'm sure someone knows

Thanks guys.

Guest CSpearsFly

So did you buy the headset for personal use or for IFS? I'm curious because I've got a nice noise canceling headset and was going to ask the question of "Do you bring your own headset with you" when you go to IFS.

Anyway, it's like the picture that Stract showed. The rubber gasket is supposed to be really small in relation to the mic so that the mic muff doesn't work itself loose. I'm sure you've figured it out by now. Enjoy.

:beer:

CSpearsFly

So did you buy the headset for personal use or for IFS? I'm curious because I've got a nice noise canceling headset and was going to ask the question of "Do you bring your own headset with you" when you go to IFS.

You can and I recommend that you bring your own. Every DA-20 has a set of Dave Clarks for the student to wear, but I went to IFS in the middle of the summer, and it is an awesome feeling to put on a pair of sweaty headsets from the last student to fly, not to mention that a cold/flu will probably make the rounds through your class at some point. When I got to the plane I stowed the student headset and just used my own.

Guest CSpearsFly
You can and I recommend that you bring your own. Every DA-20 has a set of Dave Clarks for the student to wear, but I went to IFS in the middle of the summer, and it is an awesome feeling to put on a pair of sweaty headsets from the last student to fly, not to mention that a cold/flu will probably make the rounds through your class at some point. When I got to the plane I stowed the student headset and just used my own.

Awesome. Thanks for the heads up. I can't stand flying with anything less than my own and it makes sense to bring it if you have it. Good point about the cold/flu. Less chance at getting sick/grounded.

I figured i would post this here since we're talking about headsets. I am about to go to C17 PIQ, and someday in the near future I am considering noise cancelling headsets. Anyone have experience with these and/or have recommendations not to? I don't even know if you can use them with the C17 actually...but I am worried that you won't be able to hear the engine and it will screw up your controls.

I figured i would post this here since we're talking about headsets. I am about to go to C17 PIQ, and someday in the near future I am considering noise cancelling headsets. Anyone have experience with these and/or have recommendations not to? I don't even know if you can use them with the C17 actually...but I am worried that you won't be able to hear the engine and it will screw up your controls.

My Unit issued us Bose and they totally rock. We bought my husband a set after he tried mine out. The Bose are lighter, smaller, and don't clamp to your head so tight, making them nicer for long trips. I'm a C-130 J pilot and they don't screw up the plane and you can turn the noise canceling off if you really want to hear the engines louder.

I've heard the theory from more than a few people that noise-cancelling headsets may actually be more harmful, but haven't seen any evidence to support it. Apparently, Bose and other ANR headsets creates the "illusion" of quiet by creating sounds that cancel ambient noise. So, as the theory goes, you're getting twice the vibrations in your ear than with ambient noise alone which could cause more damage. It's counter-intuitive because they do a heck of a great job, but wonder if there's any basis for this.

Has anyone heard anything similar?

I'm no engineer, but I'm sure there are some here that will speak up, but I think that theory is inaccurate. Sound travels in waves and the way ANR headsets work is to create waves 180 degrees out of sync with the ambient noise - thereby "canceling" the ambient noise. A +1 and a -1 equals 0. If you were getting vibrations on your eardrum, you'd hear it - that's how eardrums work.

Here's a pretty good article: How stuff works

I'm no engineer, but I'm sure there are some here that will speak up, but I think that theory is inaccurate. Sound travels in waves and the way ANR headsets work is to create waves 180 degrees out of sync with the ambient noise - thereby "canceling" the ambient noise. A +1 and a -1 equals 0. If you were getting vibrations on your eardrum, you'd hear it - that's how eardrums work.

Here's a pretty good article: How stuff works

This is my understanding as well. It does all this on the fly, but what actually gets trasmitted to the speaker in the headset is the result from that calculation.

Edited by Fuse

ANR headsets are not approved in the C-17 as far as I know. The C-17 also uses a low impedence system which is different than almost every other headset out there. Awhile back I remember recieving an email about pilots using their own headsets (I think mostly Reserves) and how it wasn't authorized. There was talk about having a custom made ear plug system that would reduce the noise, but haven't see anything on it lately. I not sure you will need to hear the engines. Autothrottles are used most of the time unless in the pattern and then you are flying off the HUD almost solely. You see all this at PIQ. I wouldn't invest the money in ANR. I have a Oregon Aero Comfort kit that I put on my headset and it works wonders.

In the glory days of end of FY fall out manna from heaven we got ready to order the whole squadron noise cancelling bose headsets. Sadly before the order was placed someone at AMC OGV found out told us they weren't authorized and it would be a Q3'able offense. It's been long enough that they've all changed over there so maybe a new sheriff/view in town. I'd ask AMC or maybe someone at Altus before buying it.

In answer to your question, I knew some guys that had them and thought they were the greatest thing since sliced bread. If you won't get in trouble I'd be all over it.

Has anyone here given the new Zulu from Lightspeed a shot? I was considering going to Bose (I currently own a pair of 20xLs); however, I've heard much better reviews on the Zulu. Any ideas before I plunk down 800.00 on either?