The Fastest Pilot on Baseops

Guest MitchBaernet

Guest MitchBaernet

I was talking with my uncle last night, and enjoyed listening to his description of the Mach 2+ intercepts they used to practice what he was an F-106 driver. Yes, I know that going Mach 2 at 30,000 feet does not feel any different then going Mach 0.8 at 30,000 feet, but I still think it would be cool if the pilots on this board would "go for bragging rights" and discuss thier fastest moment in the jet!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest lovelacm

I once saw SCNS read a GS of 425 in an E Model Herk... No, I'm not smoking crack, but we were empty and runnin' hard with the wind.

Of course, I've also seen a GS of 84... as we headed up to Keflavik and took 130kt winds in the face all day.. then we turned around (a week and 2 ATMs later) and flew back... and we caught the same winds in the face on the way home.

Linda's PCS Countdown: 1.5 days

Cheers!

Linda

Guest rotorhead

I've taxied out from the chocks with the airspeed over the wings at just under Mach. (Okay, so the cockpit was doing 10 knots).

Guest C-21 Pilot

Indicated Mach 0.81, w/ 172 Kt tailwind from St Paul to Andrews (Groundspeed was 672 "mph").

I've heard of guys going over 700 in the C-21, but have never done it myself.

For us, all the conditions have to be perfect (ISA, Tailwind, Light, etc) for a speed over 580.

[ 13. September 2005, 13:24: Message edited by: C-21 Pilot ]

Linda,

I saw 480GS on the SCNS in a -7 E model during a 250ish descent into Shaky's Pizza with 200kts on the tail. I think we even took a picture. These days my average daily speed is a tad under 1038MPH, the roatation speed of the earth under my freaking desk in the puzzle palace.

CH

M=1.6 at 1000' AGL in a F-15E-220 across the Tonopah Test Range on 28 March 2001.

Part of a Nuclear WSEP, verified by Sandia Nat'l Labs and Department of Energy.

I think that it was somewhere in the neighborhood of 680 KCAS IIRC.

For you F-15E guys who might wonder how the f*ck I was able to get a -220 Strike Pig (with a B61 hanging on LC2) up to that speed...let's just say that the speed run began at FL350 in Pahute Mesa all ready well over the Mach, and was achieved via a .8 AOA unloaded descent down to the deck. After hitting 1.6, the speed was decaying by the second after leveling off. It was slowing so quickly that I actually thought I had missed the desired speed for the drop, but the radar cameras verified the speed.

EDIT: Photo added...

Tonopah_4.jpg

[ 13. September 2005, 16:29: Message edited by: Hacker ]

Guest Navtastic
Originally posted by Lightninbo:

I had the t45 sim up to 1.0. With a 500kt tail wind my groundspeed was around 1200 kts.

Let me guess - 3rd period sim and the INs wanted to go home? I saw those numbers far too many times to count. You want to ask for mercy when it's a check ride.

M 1.2ish at Altitude

660 GS at 500' about 2 weeks ago egressing during Red Flag.

Hacker, what is the Safe Escape Maneuver after doing a 1,000 SLD of a B-61??

Hoser

[ 13. September 2005, 18:59: Message edited by: Hoser ]

That reminds me...160-240 KIAS anywhere from 50-500 AGL as 2 in fluid trail through the hill country NW of San Antonio on a LL/TF checkride in the C-12. Yeah, sure it was a UPT sortie (last one), and though not the fastest it was BY FAR the coolest flying I've ever done. First time I've looked up at land right off my wing tip. It didn't even seem real to me when we first got onto the route. There is lots to be said for flying low. Can't imagine M1.6 at 1000 AGL.

Guest Dirt Beater

Hacker/Hoser/Toro:

How much more of a "kick" will the -229s give the jet?

Are the -229 jets at AK, MO, and LN?

220s at SJ?

Saw a video floating around, I think on that patricksaviation.com website of an E model from Elmendorf with no CFTs and it was pretty damn impressive. With the 220s I guess it would have just been like a C/D model, but IIRC the Elmendorf airplanes have the -229s.

Hacker, I remember the old days of SPN you mentioning the dudes at the 422 flew a no-CFT mudhen with the 229 motors and it kicked some ass.

[ 13. September 2005, 19:41: Message edited by: NSFW ]