The Fastest Pilot on Baseops

Guest MitchBaernet

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the last 6+ days, my vacation days, including the time spent traveling at 80 mph across the wasteland known as NW Texas, I have calculated my average speed of the last week, The calculation goes something like this...

The Data:

---------------

Total Time = 130 hours 28 Minutes = 130.467 hours

Total Time Driving Pt-Pt ~= 21 hours

Average Speed Pt-Pt ~= 60 mph

Total # of Beer runs = 9 (@ ~10 minutes per trip)

Total Time Driving to the store to get beer ~= 1.5 hours

Average speed on a beer run ~= 20 mph

Total time sitting on my ass drinking beer and watching TV = 107.967 hours

----------

The Solution:

21 hrs * 60 mph = 1260 miles

1.5 hrs * 20 mph = 30 miles (<-- small for beer)

107.967 hrs * 0 mph = 0 miles

D = Total miles traveled = 1260 + 30 + 0 = 1290 miles

T = Total Time on vacation = 130.467 hours

Average speed while on vacation = D/T

Avg Speed = 1290/130.467

Avg Speed = 9.89 mph

_________

Apparently I am not the fastest, but I am, perhaps, having the most fun!

BENDY

EDIT FROM TORO:

All subsequent poetic ramblings and STS posts have been removed

[ 20. September 2005, 06:18: Message edited by: Toro ]

.9 in a 1958 model -135. Started to get MACH tuck and bouncing around a bit. Amazing how .84 is smooth as silk and .85 we start to feel the mice on the wings. At .9 we were only at 87% N1. There are plenty of stories out there of tankers going supersonic in level flight, we did it in the sim, but the shock wave is hell on the tail. Most likely if the stories are true, the airplane never flew again.

I'm in no rush to replace the rear signals, and the Graves is a nice, clean design that retains the original bodywork. A lot of guys just clamp their tags on under the pipe or behind the wheel, it's just another reason for the LEOs to pull you over. However, I do want to minimize that monstrosity that Honda put on the back of the CBR...

And the Graves is cheap compared to all the other eliminators I have seen.

Cheers! M2

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by degarbage:

Did slow flight in the Tweet (approx 70 kts?) into a 90 kt headwind, actually flew "backwards" with a negative GS.

How did you measure GS in the Tweet? All I had was steam gauges! On the subject, any other 300+ Club-ers in here from the Tweet days? It was that or get run over by a heavy on the way into Charleston. Rudder-flutter was not experienced (but I wouldn't recommend anyone try it on a solo or anything, not that people do things on solos that they aren't supposed to).

But I digress...

Originally posted by war007afa:

On the subject, any other 300+ Club-ers in here from the Tweet days?

I can neither confirm nor deny that on my inital area solo, after my 7th consecutive aileron roll, I looked down an saw 320 KIAS and just a wee bit nose low. Seemed to fly just fine at that speed. :D Better lucky than good!

• 1 year later...
During F22 TX there's a "High Speed AHC" ride where your only goal is to get as high and as fast as the -1 will allow and practice turns, out manuevers, etc. I saw 1.98 and 59K before I had to pull it back.

Isn't that about 9k higher than allowable?

Not in the F-22. They are not subject to the standard 50k' rule.

Just out of curiousity, why is that? I thought the 50k rule was in place due to physiological considerations, i.e. if you depressurize up there, you're toast. Is there something that makes the Raptor an exception to this?

Guest Jimmy
Just out of curiousity, why is that? I thought the 50k rule was in place due to physiological considerations, i.e. if you depressurize up there, you're toast. Is there something that makes the Raptor an exception to this?

Fairy dust. :rock:

Hopefully one of the fighter guys, or TW himself, can clear this up. According to 11-202v3 a partial pressure suit would be required at that altitude. A quick scan of 11-2fa-22v3 didn't mention anything about different oxygen requirements. I'm curious to know the answer, if it can be shared on an open forum.

Hopefully one of the fighter guys, or TW himself, can clear this up. According to 11-202v3 a partial pressure suit would be required at that altitude. A quick scan of 11-2fa-22v3 didn't mention anything about different oxygen requirements. I'm curious to know the answer, if it can be shared on an open forum.

My source is "Dozer". He told me during an interview that they are permitted to exceed 50k', that they spent 'a lot of time' up in the bozosphere, and that they are not required to wear the partial pressure suit.

But did you ever get the old dudes up front to really push the T-43 up to .79?

we asked for .82, and after they stopped laughing, they said "we'll see what we can do, but no promises". We pushed it up and hit .80, but thats all it had. We didn't fly that long though, they told us we were burning 9k an hour. I guess the old bobcat isn't as good once as it ever was.

(back to actual speed stories though...sorry to hijack)