Motorcycle Riders Thread

Ram

• 1 month later...
Guest PanceLeak

Thanks man. It's one in the same...got bored and changed things up a bit. Stripping it down to an old bobber type of look.

• 2 weeks later...

Someone in the Army finally got the right idea. I received this email last week regarding wearing reflective vests on post while riding a motorcycle:

Ladies and Gentlemen,

There is a change in the motorcycle policy in the wearing of reflective vests and jackets. If you have a highly reflective jacket you no longer need a vest. The policy will be reworded to allow either vest or jacket as long as they are reflective. As soon as the new policy is signed I will get it out to you all.

v/r

###

Safety Manager

Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland 21010

Of course this comes just 2 weeks after I finally decided to get the $55 mil spec vest.. Go figure. At least they got the right idea though.

Someone in the Army finally got the right idea. I received this email last week regarding wearing reflective vests on post while riding a motorcycle:

Of course this comes just 2 weeks after I finally decided to get the $55 mil spec vest.. Go figure. At least they got the right idea though.

Not sure why that's different from AF policy but as long as your jacket has reflective material then you don't need a vest. All 91-207 says is that the upper garment must be reflective.

Not sure why that's different from AF policy but as long as your jacket has reflective material then you don't need a vest. All 91-207 says is that the upper garment must be reflective.

Very cool. I wasn't aware of the AF policy as I've only been riding since I started working at this Army Post. When I have gone on an AF base with my motorcycle, I wore the same things as usual and got on just fine. Glad to know.

• 1 month later...

Fellow Baseopers. I have been nearly driven off the road once again today by a fat chick on her cell phone headed to the Chick-Fil-A drive through (same place I was headed minus the drive through). My puny horn did no good as she was coming into my lane and I had to back off before I ended up eating pavement.

Does anyone have a suggestion for an aftermarket horn for my V-Star 650cc? I've been looking at electric horns and air horns. I need something loud, but also a type of sound that you can really hear. The Fire truck that I almost T-boned as he ran through a light on my way back to work has the type of sound that I'm looking for. I also don't want to spend a whole lot of money on, no more than probably $50-$60.

This is the type of thing I'm after. I just wanted some suggestions before I made a purchase.

Thanks folks.

Fellow Baseopers. I have been nearly driven off the road once again today by a fat chick on her cell phone headed to the Chick-Fil-A drive through (same place I was headed minus the drive through). My puny horn did no good as she was coming into my lane and I had to back off before I ended up eating pavement.

Does anyone have a suggestion for an aftermarket horn for my V-Star 650cc? I've been looking at electric horns and air horns. I need something loud, but also a type of sound that you can really hear. The Fire truck that I almost T-boned as he ran through a light on my way back to work has the type of sound that I'm looking for. I also don't want to spend a whole lot of money on, no more than probably $50-$60.

This is the type of thing I'm after. I just wanted some suggestions before I made a purchase.

Thanks folks.

That looks very similar to what my Dad put on his Venture and it's very loud. I think he said it was a Sable.

I did the same thing, but there's no reason not to wear the vest. It may not look cool but the drivers in places like Tucson would rather cut you off, run you over, and leave you for dead just so they can get home 3 seconds faster.

Not trying to preach. I just hate stupid drivers and they're the reason we have to dress like circus clowns.

Thanks folks.

Highly recommend the Stebel Nautilus Compact: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2137/

Watching Suburban-driving, cellphone-sporting, kid-toting thundercunt soccer mom's reaction to this bad boy after she cuts you off makes the purchase completely worth it. About the only thing you'll have to worry about is medical bills for the heartattacks you will cause.

Thanks folks.

I suggest a boot to the door, I kicked the living hell out of more than a few cars trying to merge into me, works wonders.

Highly recommend the Stebel Nautilus Compact: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2137/

Watching Suburban-driving, cellphone-sporting, kid-toting thundercunt soccer mom's reaction to this bad boy after she cuts you off makes the purchase completely worth it. About the only thing you'll have to worry about is medical bills for the heartattacks you will cause.

HA. Love that description of the mom. That's a pretty loud horn for only $40. I might just have to take your suggestion.

I suggest a boot to the door, I kicked the living hell out of more than a few cars trying to merge into me, works wonders.

lol. I would have but she cut over on me in a turn so I had no reach. I'll keep that in mind next time though. I'll have to start wearing my steel tipped boots then.

Guest IncompletePete

And that's why my boots have titanium toe-sliders.

• 2 months later...

Giving this thread a bump for the warm spring weather and for the fact that I just bought my first motorcycle. Found a guy on craigslist who didn't want to ride anymore so he was selling his bike, jacket, helmet and gloves as a pretty cheap bundle. All the gear fit me so I jumped on it. Now I just have to take the MSF course so I can actually ride it to work.

If I understand the reg correctly the reflective vest is only a requirement during low-light conditions correct? It seems like everybody wears orange vests around base during the day as well. Not sure if that's just because people have the vests on them or because our base SFS is overzealous on their enforcement of what they think the rules are. I'm thinking of getting the Icon Mil-Spec backpack which is bright orange and reflective but if I need to wear a reflective vest every time I'm on base regardless of day or night I'm not going to want to wear the backpack every single time I ride.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/418/16955/ITEM/Icon-Squad-II-Mil-Spec-Pack.aspx?SiteID=SLI|Backpack&WT.MC_ID=10010

If I understand the reg correctly the reflective vest is only a requirement during low-light conditions correct? It seems like everybody wears orange vests around base during the day as well. Not sure if that's just because people have the vests on them or because our base SFS is overzealous on their enforcement of what they think the rules are. I'm thinking of getting the Icon Mil-Spec backpack which is bright orange and reflective but if I need to wear a reflective vest every time I'm on base regardless of day or night I'm not going to want to wear the backpack every single time I ride.

Moody just implemented a all-vest all-the-time policy a short time ago. To a lot of safety conscious riders here, this new policy sets the rider/safety/command relationship back a solid decade. I've got a 10# custom armor leather jacket with far more reflective material built in than any vest on the market (cause I had it custom made). Acording to the new policy, I can leave that hanging in my closet b/c it's not a vest. The Icon Mil-Spec backpack is ok, as long as (I'm not making this shit up) it has it's own vest wrapped around it. Reflective belt around a backpack is a no-go.

BL is that DOD sets the baseline, and from there ymmv based on how much your local command hates motorcycles (cause most do).

\\rant off\\

• 2 weeks later...