F-16 (Viper) guys crapping themselves

Guest KC10Boomer

Guest KC10Boomer

I'm sure most everyone's heard the tape of the 16 guy in europe who crapped himself inflight. At the end of the tape he says to the pilot something like "burner and boards, talk to frankfurt first." I know what burners (ab) and boards (spd brk) are, but what does he mean using them both together?

Thanks!

Guest KC10Boomer

Thanks Hacker. I figured 8.0 was in the zone for the landing weight of a viper, externals notwithstanding, but I guess I was wrong

Originally posted by KC10Boomer:

I figured 8.0 was in the zone for the landing weight of a viper, externals notwithstanding, but I guess I was wrong

In the Strike Eagle (which carries more gas on our internal tanks than the Viper does with externals...) our rule of thumb was to land with no more gas in thousands of pounds than you had thousands of feet of runway to land on.

Since your average fighter base runway is around 8,000 feet, 8K was generally about the most we wanted to actually land with unless you wanted to worry about burning the brakes.

I'm guessing that the Viper has ROTs that are similar, so hopefully somebody here can fill us in (sts).

It's definitely a function of runway distance. With 8000lb of gas you'd be doing almost 200 knots on final. That makes it really tough to land the jet because it still flies really well going that fast and you'll float forever. Or, you'll force it onto the runway, bounce, then still float forever.

If I had to get the jet on the ground, though, I'd land with 8000 lb. The landing distance isn't really that long (3600ft) but if I pooched it I'd use the hook.

Talking about the incident mentioned above, it's obvious from the recording that the backseater was the one with the problem. It also appears that they are in Germany, since at the end the backseater says "Talk to Frankfurt." I was under the impression that the only two seat F-16's are trainers, correct? I'm just wondering why there are trainers in Germany. Also, would the pilot in the back most likely be the instructor? If so, that would make the incident even more humiliating, especially since the person up front was laughing at him. The situation would be bad enough, but to have it happen to an IP on a training sortie, ouch.

Guest sully999

F-16D models are not only used for training. When I was in Germany the base I was at had 4 of them. They are mainly used for instruction but also can be used otherwise, mainly for incentive flights. How else would flight docs get their flight time unless there were a few D models out there? Sometimes they do go empty though.

Originally posted by wannafly:

always kind of sounded like an incentive ride to me. Who knows.

It sounded to me like the guy in the back seat had some authority during the flight.. A guy on an incentive ride wouldn't be working the radios or telling the front seater what to do with regard to power and who to talk to (Frankfurt).

I figured it was an IP or another pilot.. :confused:

I'd love to hear the full story on this (and the aftermath).

• 1 year later...

One of my favorite lines:

"OK 2, where are you?"

Kind of early in the flight for #1 to have LOSA on his wingmen. I'm guessing that he should be taxing behind lead, 150' staggerred.

Cap-10

"You're gonna have to make the call ... I can't stop laughing."

Classic. Having camera rolling is truly priceless.

Guest RaptorKeeper

Would that qualify for a renaming at the ops bar later that week? I'm thinking... yes. Not sure it's possible to live that down.

Anyone know which unit that was? Who uses Race? (PM me please...) I got a bud that flies at cannon. Wonder if the dude is in his squadron. HAHAHA

MAMBO that was awesome, thanks for that post!

Guest skipplet
Originally posted by RaptorKeeper:

Would that qualify for a renaming at the ops bar later that week? I'm thinking... yes.

The video has "a case for hostile renameage" in the title. So this guy probably won't ever live this down.