Baseops Forums
Guest e3racing

Promotion and PRF Information

Posted (edited)
On 10/7/2018 at 9:15 PM, MDDieselPilot said:

Sounds like lots of us are in the same boat. 

I've had consistent strats since my 2nd OPR, several yearly's, 3 FGOQs up to the 2-star level, 2x DG , was an evaluator, 1500 combat hrs, never bought a checkride downgrade and no PFT busts.  I honestly thought I was squarely in the middle of the bell curve.  I guess I can GTFO, though.. which I will gladly do.

Haven't been in this thread since I was passed over IPZ last year, but I got picked up 1 above (O5). The O6 who made it happen (I think) moved so I haven't had a chance to ask him how he did it, but I'm convinced he went to our 2 star SR and made a case for me.. my record definitely didn't change 😄. Oh well, more money I suppose. 

Edited by MDDieselPilot
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, pawnman said:

PRFs, not OPRs.  Each of those strats is likely from a single OPR.

Makes sense...I've never even seen a PRF.  

50 minutes ago, SocialD said:

Makes sense...I've never even seen a PRF.  

UNREAL...

i think i speak for most when I say that!

I just did a PRF last year for my IMA, he was somewhat familiar with them.   Why are they so uncommon in whatever world you are In?

also, where/when do we find out results of the 0-5 reserve board?

I just did a PRF last year for my IMA, he was somewhat familiar with them.   Why are they so uncommon in whatever world you are In?

ANG. Probably because we do Position Vacancy and ROPMA promotions which doesn’t exist on AD.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

8 minutes ago, bennynova said:

What herkbum said.  PV and ROPMA are how we get promoted.  We have to have up to date OPRs but no PRFs (maybe for ROPMA).  Our base has recently started requiring interviews for O-5, but not for O-4 or below.  Herk may have better insight into what happens next   All I know is it's sent up to state or NGB then it's usually 6-9 months before federal recognition happens which means you can pin on.  

37 minutes ago, SocialD said:

We have to have up to date OPRs but no PRFs (maybe for ROPMA).

In the ANG, PRFs are required for ROPMA to O-5 (pretty sure for ROPMA to O-4 as well).

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BattleRattle said:

In the ANG, PRFs are required for ROPMA to O-5 (pretty sure for ROPMA to O-4 as well).

I recently-ish did ROPMA to O4 and did not have a PRF that I as aware of. Then again, my old unit also sent me to that board without telling me (I was under the mistaken impression I had another year), and also with my package (sts) missing my 2x latest OPRs. 😆

Aaaand I still got picked up so hey, anyone with a pulse has a chance in the Guard baby! It was a 96% selection rate for my AFSC at the time (12S) on that board, so I'm glad to know I'm not in the bottom 4% of my peer group.

That being said, while I did get picked up, I also max performed O3 by doing the full 7 years which was obv less $$ in the bank and also put me well "behind" where my year group bros who stayed on active duty were. ROPMA giveth and ROPMA maketh thee wait I guess is the moral of the story.

Another random datapoint from the peanut gallery: 7.269 years active duty (AFSOC) and 4.69 years in the Guard (AFSOC and now ACC) and I've never seen a PRF. Only people I know who had were either execs or were themselves being promoted to O4/O5 and were "doing it live."

Edited by nsplayr

Last year it was released the 3rd week of August. Expecting the same this year.

What herkbum said.  PV and ROPMA are how we get promoted.  We have to have up to date OPRs but no PRFs (maybe for ROPMA).  Our base has recently started requiring interviews for O-5, but not for O-4 or below.  Herk may have better insight into what happens next   All I know is it's sent up to state or NGB then it's usually 6-9 months before federal recognition happens which means you can pin on.  

Promos up to Maj (since all rated positions are Maj positions)-individual is recommended for promo and signed/submitted by SQ/CC to FSS. Promo then usually goes to JFHQ for state approval. JFHQ then sends to NGB for Fed Rec. Once Fed Rec approved, NGB sends promo order back down thru JFHQ to FSS and SQ/CC. This usually occurs monthly.

• Upvote 1

Speaking of ANG promotions, the state just told me the ANG O-4 board should be released here within a week or so.

On 7/30/2019 at 3:04 PM, drewpey said:

Not having a MSM going into IPZ as a major is unfortunate

Fact.  My friend - a boarded cyberspace operations sq DO.  He led the unit through some of the missions I've posted in the Cyber thread.  You know, the ones in the new york times, and CYBERCOM is briefing Congress about....MSM didn't make it into his records (shitty CC didn't bother to make sure it happened)...passed over.

Thankfully he's hitting the supplemental...but really?

Posted (edited)

an Added MSM May do it...

But, they are hard to get promoted in.  They take 10 records below cut line and 10 above.

your record has to beat something like all 10 below the cut and a few above the cut.

Edited by bennynova

5 minutes ago, bennynova said:

But, they are hard to get promoted in.  They take 10 records below cut line and 10 above.

your record has to beat something like all 10 below the cut and a few above the cut.

Not entirely correct. 10 records total...5 above and 5 below...needs to beat out all 5 below the cut or any 1 record above the cut. Much higher chance of promotion from a special selection board than above the zone! 

14 minutes ago, Notarobot said:

Not entirely correct. 10 records total...5 above and 5 below...needs to beat out all 5 below the cut or any 1 record above the cut. Much higher chance of promotion from a special selection board than above the zone! 

Thanks for the clarification.  I knew I was “close”

On 7/30/2019 at 6:25 PM, pawnman said:

When was that?  My year group had two people in it for the whole base, both B-1 guys... Me and a pilot.  Up north was similarly thin.  

94 year group and I went to school (ROKAF ACSC) in 2009

Posted (edited)
On 8/1/2019 at 9:19 PM, herkbum said:

Promos up to Maj (since all rated positions are Maj positions)-individual is recommended for promo and signed/submitted by SQ/CC to FSS. Promo then usually goes to JFHQ for state approval. JFHQ then sends to NGB for Fed Rec. Once Fed Rec approved, NGB sends promo order back down thru JFHQ to FSS and SQ/CC. This usually occurs monthly.

Yes for PV- to include O-5...

For Ropma all our pilots (4/4)were picked up for O-5 in the recently released ANG board. 2 had pme done, 2 didn’t. The stats will posted at some point but I have a feeling the ANG will continue to promote non pme complete major pilots to O-5 for the foreseeable future. Very different story for AFRC/AD.

Edited by genie90

9 hours ago, genie90 said:

...but I have a feeling the ANG will continue to promote non pme complete major pilots to O-5 for the foreseeable future.

I'm banking on it!  🤞

I'll let you know how it turns out in a couple of years.

1 hour ago, FUSEPLUG said:

I'm banking on it!  🤞

I'll let you know how it turns out in a couple of years.

Ultimately, it's up to your TAG.  I know a guy who made it to O-5 without SOS or ACSC because he wanted to be at a unit that can never fill spots.  Our previous TAG had a hard-on for PME, however the new TAG says no PME required for O-5 but you'll be going to ROPMA to make it happen.  I understand some states/units require guys to go to ROPMA (even for O-4) as a matter of practice, which I'll never understand why you'd willingly do that to your own people.  My base has always been; have PME, TIG requirements met, not a shitbag, promotion paperwork goes in.  We rarely have to force guys to ROPMA and the few I can think of were simply for not doing SOS orACSC.  Having prior-e time, waiting for ROPMA would have meant delaying my retirement 3 years, so ACSC was well worth the pain. 

ACSC In correspondence is useless. Using it as a discriminator was a foul from the beginning and continues to be a highlight in “What’s wrong with the AF”

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, SocialD said:

I understand some states/units require guys to go to ROPMA (even for O-4) as a matter of practice, which I'll never understand why you'd willingly do that to your own people. 

At least in my corner of the ANG (primarily AGR unit) if you want to stay (retire) from the squadron ROPMA to O-4 is about the only way to make it happen. Roughly 20 O1-O4 slots narrow down into 5 05 billets (including the CC/DO). Makes force management a challenge or you promote yourself out of a job... 

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, abmwaldo said:

At least in my corner of the ANG (primarily AGR unit) if you want to stay (retire) from the squadron ROPMA to O-4 is about the only way to make it happen. Roughly 20 O1-O4 slots narrow down into 5 05 billets (including the CC/DO). Makes force management a challenge or you promote yourself out of a job... 

Yup, I understand that.  I'm talking about squadrons, just like mine, that are forcing part-timers to ROPMA to O-4 then O-5, unless there a "chosen" one.  Maybe we're lucky in that our part timers tend to not hang around as squadron bums forever, but very few guys are forced to ROPMA for anything other than not doing PME.  One bases leadership looks at it as "paying your dues."  Then again they also have had numerous dudes leave to fly in the heavy squadron in their state while other said fuck it, I go find a non-flying gig...

Edited by SocialD

On 8/1/2019 at 9:23 PM, Duck said:

Speaking of ANG promotions, the state just told me the ANG O-4 board should be released here within a week or so.

The list is up on MyPers for ANG CY19 O-4 & O-5. 

The list is up on MyPers for ANG CY19 O-4 & O-5. 

Is it a pdf? Does anyone mind sending it to me? Gracias!