Cannon AFB

Guest mil1

Anyone know of people living in Lubbock and making the commute everyday?

I know someone who's moving out there and bought a place in west lubbock somewhere. He has high-school aged kids and wanted them to go to Lubbock schools vs. clovis.

Anyone know of people living in Lubbock and making the commute everyday?

I strongly thought about doing this.. but I had a 45 min commute to work each day at Beale I coudn't stand, so decided a 1.5 hour commute would be twice as bad according to science. Tempting though... We have a couple people that live in SF on the weekends, and a trailor during the week.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

For those considering moving to Cannon AFB with families, New Mexico has just published the 2011-2012 school performance results for the local public schools. This list was useful to our family in choosing where to live when we moved here. You can get a map at this link (http://www.cms.k12.n...ones2008-09.pdf) of where elementary school boundaries are. The only thing that's somewhat unclear on the map is the eastern division between Zia Elementary and Parkview Elementary. It is Hammond Blvd all the way down. The street goes east-west with the North side and above going to Zia and the South side and below going to Parkview. Lots of military members buy in that area with all the new construction.

Here's the list. http://webapp2.ped.s...oolGrading.aspx

CLOVIS SCHOOLS

ARTS ACADEMY AT BELLA VISTA: C

BARRY ELEMENTARY: B

CAMEO ELEMENTARY: B

CLOVIS HIGH: C

CLOVIS HS FRESHMAN ACADEMY: C

HIGHLAND ELEMENTARY: D

JAMES BICKLEY ELEMENTARY: D

LA CASITA ELEMENTARY: C

LINCOLN JACKSON ARTS: ?

LOCKWOOD ELEMENTARY: D

LOS NINOS: ?

MARSHALL MIDDLE: B

MESA ELEMENTARY: B

PARKVIEW ELEMENTARY: D

RANCHVALE ELEMENTARY: B

SANDIA ELEMENTARY: B

YUCCA MIDDLE: B

ZIA ELEMENTARY: A

PORTALES SCHOOLS

BROWN EARLY CHILDHOOD CENTER: C

JAMES ELEMENTARY: C

LINDSEY-STEINER ELEMENTARY: C

PORTALES HIGH: C

PORTALES JR HIGH: C

VALENCIA ELEMENTARY: C

Edited by HU&W

For those considering moving to Cannon AFB with families, New Mexico has just published the 2011-2012 school performance results for the local public schools. This list was useful to our family in choosing where to live when we moved here. You can get a map at this link (http://www.cms.k12.n...ones2008-09.pdf) of where elementary school boundaries are. The only thing that's somewhat unclear on the map is the eastern division between Zia Elementary and Parkview Elementary. It is Hammond Blvd all the way down. The street goes east-west with the North side and above going to Zia and the South side and below going to Parkview. Lots of military members buy in that area with all the new construction.

Here's the list. http://webapp2.ped.s...oolGrading.aspx

CLOVIS SCHOOLS

ARTS ACADEMY AT BELLA VISTA: C

BARRY ELEMENTARY: B

CAMEO ELEMENTARY: B

CLOVIS HIGH: C

CLOVIS HS FRESHMAN ACADEMY: C

HIGHLAND ELEMENTARY: D

JAMES BICKLEY ELEMENTARY: D

LA CASITA ELEMENTARY: C

LINCOLN JACKSON ARTS: ?

LOCKWOOD ELEMENTARY: D

LOS NINOS: ?

MARSHALL MIDDLE: B

MESA ELEMENTARY: B

PARKVIEW ELEMENTARY: D

RANCHVALE ELEMENTARY: B

SANDIA ELEMENTARY: B

YUCCA MIDDLE: B

ZIA ELEMENTARY: A

PORTALES SCHOOLS

BROWN EARLY CHILDHOOD CENTER: C

JAMES ELEMENTARY: C

LINDSEY-STEINER ELEMENTARY: C

PORTALES HIGH: C

PORTALES JR HIGH: C

VALENCIA ELEMENTARY: C

The one thing that isn't advertised is that since schools like Parkview have failed to achieve a good enough grade two years in a row on the standardized testing, parents can place their kids on a list to attend the better schools like Zia. Being on the wrong side of the "tracks" i.e. hammons has been a real pain in trying to sell my house.

Being on the wrong side of the "tracks" i.e. hammons has been a real pain in trying to sell my house.

Heading out there in a year or so, and from what I've seen online so far the market looks pretty crappy. Where are most folks living around town (or trying to live). Married, no kids but planning on it.

Heading out there in a year or so, and from what I've seen online so far the market looks pretty crappy. Where are most folks living around town (or trying to live). Married, no kids but planning on it.

North and east of the 14th and Prince St intersection, many would say north of 21st...there are a couple of new neighborhoods off of Humphries too which is on the far east edge of town north of Hwy 60/84 (Mabry). Mesa and Zia Elementaries are north of 21st on Norris. Some folks live down in Portales.

Looking on Trulia, the majority of the homes listed have dropped in price significanly and been on the market a while. Wonder if developers/owners/ect expected more of a influx of folks to the 'western' AFSOC base.

Just read an article about liberals/tree huggers/off the grid types bitching about low level routes through NM and southern CO, sounded like a pain in the ass for the AF to deal with. (not that F-111s, F-16s, B-1s, B-52s were and have been flying said routes for decades).

Must be talking about my house. ha ha. I'm sure it is that way for a lot of homes in the area.

I'll look at it next year :beer: until then, good luck!

• 5 months later...

What's with the rumor about the lack of water?

The aquifer is running dry, and depending on who you believe will last around 4-12 years. According to a real estate agent I spoke with (who wasn't trying tell sell me a house since I already have one), this won't have a major impact on people within city limits and use the city's water system, but if you depend on a well you're pretty much hosed. Take it for what it's worth. Right now they are building a pipeline to a reservoir ~2 hours away, and there are no real water restrictions.

Light reading on the Clovis water situation:

Ute Lake Pipeline Project

Ogallala Aquifer Depletion

Clovis Water Facts

BL: It rarely rains in Clovis. There is zero naturally replenishing surface water within 50+ miles. The only water source is the Ogallala Aquifer deep underground. Beneath Clovis, it used to range in usable depth of 60-70 feet of water. In the 15 or so years since the dairies have opened and been freely drawing from it, it's dropped to approximately 15 feet. Every source indicates that Clovis will run out, but there's greatly varying opinions as to when. They want to spend $500 million to build a pipeline from the reservoir that is 100 miles to the north to bring water in. 75% of the funds for that pipeline would be federal, and it would destroy a unique ecology and resort environment that's developed at that reservoir. They also don't know if the pipeline would provide sufficient water to continue to supply the dairies insatiable demand (approx. 97% of the current aquifer draw).

What's with the rumor about the lack of water?

Are you talking about the lack of water or the floride issue with water which is why housing gives out free 5 gallon water drums to residents?

ETA: not a Clovis resident, just got an earful from a buddies wife.

Edited by tac airlifter

• 1 month later...

1. Properties are not overpriced. They are priced according to the market. That's why they sell.

2. Rentals are priced much higher than the cost of buying because good ones are so scarce. You can actually make real money in Clovis as a slum lord.

3. Don't base major financial decisions on the advice of an uninformed friends.

4. Consider all options and think outside of the box. There are probably things you haven't even considered yet.

What are the local watering holes (bars) there? Also, are the rumors about a 'shifty 50' true about there being some mafia controlling the city? Ive always joked around about opening a bar in clovis if I ever got non-vol'ed there and alas, I have been non vol'ed to clovis so Im wondering about opening up a bar.

Yes, properties are currently priced according to market. However, this is not the same as properties being priced according to a free-market. Clovis real estate is not a free-market. In the end, the free-market always wins. Keep that in mind when you decide to buy a house and temper your decision with how long you expect to be here. Also, the base is building a significant number of new dorms and houses, upon completion, I estimate that it will noticeably change the market.

Yes, rentals are priced high however, that doesn't mean that they don't exist. There are actually a decent amount of rentals within the O-2 and up budget. You just need to spend some time looking, and it helps if you don't have pets. But yes, most clovis landlords are slumlords and I hope they burn in hell.

As far as local watering holes...ha. You would be better off opening an old fashioned speak easy here than trying to apply for a liquor license. Unless your last name is curry...

Yes, there are actually options here. Have you considered living in a trailer? My last year here I plan on living in my truck in the squadron parking lot.