10 year commitment.

Guest Bad News

Guest Bad News

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you get a pilot slot and are committed to 10 years AD in the Air Force, aren't you pretty screwed if you decide you don't like it? While it seems most people like flying for the AF, not every job is for everyone. I just don't see this discussed a lot, and it seems like a major issue. Am I missing something?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you get a pilot slot and are committed to 10 years AD in the Air Force, aren't you pretty screwed if you decide you don't like it? While it seems most people like flying for the AF, not every job is for everyone. I just don't see this discussed a lot, and it seems like a major issue. Am I missing something?

Before you get to the 10 year commitment, you should have passed through some form of officer training, and several months of waiting for your flight training to start. Once it starts, you have a year (or more if the Navy is involved) of flight training. There was a guy at Sheppard when I was there who SIE'd because he just didn't like it. He was an Academy grad who didn't have to fight for the slot and just went to try it out. I had to fight back the tremendous urge to throat punch the dude for wasting a slot.

I don't think you accept the commitment until the end of training - the peanut gallery will correct me if I am wrong.

It's a hell of a way to make a living so you have to commit to sticking around. If you're worried about it go nav; 6 years is easier to swallow for some people (sts). And just FYI the clock doesn't start ticking until you pin those shiny wings...i.e. usually by time you're already a 1st LT with two years in.

Isn't assignment night after "you complete UPT?"

I believe all of the tracks have a few flights then a "checkride" after assignment night, but it is more to make sure you don't mail in the last two weeks of the program. I have heard of people washing out after assignment night but it's rare.

Isn't assignment night after "you complete UPT?"

You may be checkride complete, or even flying complete but you haven't actually completed (graduated) UPT until the graduation a week or so later. Of course if you don't graduate you don't get your wings and you don't get all those nice civilian ratings for next to nothing.

Back to the original question... The 10 year commitment isn't so bad. You'll figure out early on if it's not for you most likely and there's always staff tours if it's to late. Plus, like others have said, you'll have an opportunity to get out well before your commitment is up.

How a guaranteed 10 years of employment doing a job most people dream about can be a bad thing is beyond me...

How a guaranteed 10 years of employment doing a job most people dream about can be a bad thing is beyond me...

The AF is the only one that gets a guarantee here. You promise them 10 years of your life, but they promise you nothing in return. You can still be RIF'd or TAMI'd.

However, I'll freely admit that the military still offers a great deal more job security than the civilian sector.

Exactly. I still can't believe I get paid to fly cool missions and I don't have any civilian friends who enjoy their job this much (including pilots). Yes there is queep and a masters and PME, etc. But really the only reason I bitch about that stuff is because it takes away from time I could be flying. I fucking love this. That F-bomb is just for you Kuma.

So true. Only a matter of time... probably closer to <5 years. Hopefully there's something resembling the guard/ reserves to go to.

Maybe more like... <5 months?

(quoted from post on AirForceOTS.com)

Fellow Airmen:

Secretary Donley and I are proud of the tremendous contributions you make every day to secure our nation. We recognize and appreciate the sacrifices that are asked of you and your family. Now, the Secretary and I must make a difficult decision for the health of the Air Force family.

Air Force retention is at a 15-year high, despite an incredibly robust operations tempo. We are nearly 5,000 Airmen above our authorized, funded end strength ceiling. Career fields are overmanned in certain year groups, while at the same time, we have critical manning shortages in some of our most stressed career fields and mission areas. We must correct these overages and skill imbalances by sizing and shaping our force within our authorized, funded ceiling.

As you know, in November 2009 we offered a variety of voluntary measures aimed at reducing personnel numbers. Unfortunately, not enough people took advantage of those programs. Thus we had to make the tough decision to move forward on a plan to shrink the active duty force by almost 3 percent. Although it will be a challenging time, our goal is to minimize the impact on Airmen currently serving. We are reducing accessions for both officers and enlisted Airmen while expanding voluntary separation and retirement programs to try and protect those currently serving. Where possible, we will cross-flow Airmen from overmanned career fields into those that are undermanned, and, where appropriate, we will implement involuntary measures.

More information on this multi-tiered force management effort is available on the Air Force Personnel Center website. Voluntary programs will allow personnel to leave the service immediately; non-voluntary programs will start this summer with departures targeted for no later than April 2011. I encourage all of you to go to the AFPC website and review the programs that may impact you and your families.

Please know the Secretary and I have carefully considered every option, but in the end, arrived at the conclusion that these force management initiatives are necessary. We must operate within our means. Our commitment – and the commitment of leadership at all levels – is that we will do everything we can to assist those transitioning to the next phase of their careers.

NORTON A. SCHWARTZ

General, USAF

Chief of Staff

I assume pred guys incur the same commitment as "real airplane" pilots? Any intel about what year groups are under/overmanned? I'm an 06 guy, and it was like running up Omaha beach just to not get kicked out of ROTC since my year group was in the middle of the last round of "force shaping". Guys were getting the boot for speeding tickets and lifting the wrong cheek to fart. I can't imagine 04-07 year groups being that overmanned seeing how hard the AF tried to thin our herd prior to commissioning.

I assume pred guys incur the same commitment as "real airplane" pilots?

For the Beta guys:

UAV pilots will receive the “18X” Air Force Specialty Code. It will be a “rated” career field and require airmen to serve a six-year active-duty service commitment. AF Times

11UXX guys have the same commitment as everyone else from UPT.

I assume pred guys incur the same commitment as "real airplane" pilots? Any intel about what year groups are under/overmanned? I'm an 06 guy, and it was like running up Omaha beach just to not get kicked out of ROTC since my year group was in the middle of the last round of "force shaping". Guys were getting the boot for speeding tickets and lifting the wrong cheek to fart. I can't imagine 04-07 year groups being that overmanned seeing how hard the AF tried to thin our herd prior to commissioning.

From AFPC, the RIF board is

The CY10A RIF board will consider officers in the grade of major and below in the following core Air Force Specialty Codes: 13S, 15W, 21A, 33S, 38F, 52R (Except Catholic Chaplains), 61A, 61B, 61C, 65F, and 71S who were commissioned in the following year groups: 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, and 2004.

The CY10A RIF board will consider officers in the grade of major and below in the following core Air Force Specialty Codes: 13S, 15W, 21A, 33S, 38F, 52R (Except Catholic Chaplains), 61A, 61B, 61C, 65F, and 71S who were commissioned in the following year groups: 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, and 2004.

:salut:

Maybe they will eliminate some shoe clerk segment of the Air Force, but I am not going to hold my breath or shred my reflective belt in anticipation.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Guest VETTE277

Is the 10 yr commitment all AD or is it partially active duty and if you choose also part reserve/inactive ?

Is the 10 yr commitment all AD or is it partially active duty and if you choose also part reserve/inactive ?

It's all AD unless you can get released from it to go to the reserves or guard.

If you want to be a pilot anyway, it's not a bad deal at all, so long as you are at least somewhat of the mind to make the AF a career. By the time you finish your 10 year commitment, you already have ~12 years in service, and are eligible for a pretty big bonus to sign on for another 4-6 years (given that the bonus doesn't go away). After that there are only a few more years left to finish out your 20. Not a bad deal at all.