Depression Questions

Guest mcas125

9 hours ago, wikz said:

little bit of a thread revival. 

I was erroneously DQ'd by the MEPS chief medical officer 3 months ago for cuts on my legs (ive never cut myself before), which is ridiculous because everyone has scars on their legs from being active as a kid. i somehow got lucky and was the only one examined by this doctor, and everyone else that had the same cicatrixs' I did were passed through. even my recruiter was appalled by this call. I had to send a few letters and pictures regarding my cuts to the Air Forcer Surgeon General for a waiver, which was denied(?), and my recruiter hit me up a couple days ago saying that they want me to see a psychiatrist for an evaluation. 

excuse my French, but *** am I supposed to tell the psychiatrist when theirs literally nothing to be said? 

I am sure he's gonna ask about depression etc; to be honest, I was like 2.5 years ago from some dumb breakup, but I never physically hurt myself or wanted to kill myself. 

would I be shooting myself in the foot if I told him something like this that has no correlation to my cuts? 

Answer exactly the questions asked, don't volunteer additional information. 

"Have you ever been depressed?"

"I have never been diagnosed with depression."

Edited by pawnman
  • Thanks 1

To continue Pawnman’s example…

”OK, but have you ever been depressed”

”I’ve had down days with disappointments like everyone else.”

”Yes I understand, but yes or no, have you been depressed?”

”No, I have not”

The medical world defines it as a mood disorder, so if you say you’ve had it, you’re saying you’ve had a disorder. Do you think you’ve ever had a disorder, or just a few bad days/weeks? Normal people know there’s a difference, docs don’t for the most part. You have to understand your definition of “depression” is not the same as the psych’s definition of “depression.” You think “depression” innocuously means, “yeah I was down about a break up for a few weeks and moved on.” The psych sees it as, “I almost ended my life and was mentally unstable for a period of time.”

This sounds like a ton of bullshit. Sorry you’re dealing with it. Get ready for them to ask about what kind of childhood you had, how do you feel about animals, etc.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2023 at 10:27 PM, wikz said:

little bit of a thread revival. 

I was erroneously DQ'd by the MEPS chief medical officer 3 months ago for cuts on my legs (ive never cut myself before), which is ridiculous because everyone has scars on their legs from being active as a kid. i somehow got lucky and was the only one examined by this doctor, and everyone else that had the same cicatrixs' I did were passed through. even my recruiter was appalled by ….

MEPS is a complete sham.  Laziest POS doctors I’ve ever seen.  They don’t care about getting it right.  Just collecting a paycheck.  You can win this, just keep fighting it.  Don’t give up.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, brabus said:

This sounds like a ton of bullshit. Sorry you’re dealing with it. Get ready for them to ask about what kind of childhood you had, how do you feel about animals, etc.

no need to be sorry, I understand what I need to do. I feel like I am gonna have a ruff time because my childhood was a little bit of a rollercoaster. I am just going to try and answer every question he spitballs at me with the least amount of "trauma."

4 hours ago, stuckindayton said:

MEPS is a complete sham.  Laziest POS doctors I’ve ever seen.  They don’t care about getting it right.  Just collecting a paycheck.  You can win this, just keep fighting it.  Don’t give up.

never would dream of it. appreciate the help boys. 🙂

On 10/27/2023 at 5:45 PM, wikz said:

no need to be sorry, I understand what I need to do. I feel like I am gonna have a ruff time because my childhood was a little bit of a rollercoaster. I am just going to try and answer every question he spitballs at me with the least amount of "trauma."

never would dream of it. appreciate the help boys. 🙂

Lots of folks had a rough childhood.  What you do/did with with it matters more, to me at least.

• Upvote 2