Depression Questions

Guest mcas125

Guest mcas125

In High School, I was diagnosed with depression, and was put on Lexapro for 4 months. It hasn't recurred since and I've otherwise been perfectly normal. How much of a problem will this be?

Guest doctidy

1 - you should be waiverable

2 - Its gonna be a problem...how much depends on just too many factors than a post. They'll want you to submit copies of your records and any related hospitalizations. There should be a fair number or years of stability since to get you over the hump.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest TULSA

I have been married for 4 years, have a three year old daughter, full-time student, private pilot, work, and etc. etc. etc., but I was "diagnosed with depression in highschool". I also had a school doctor tell me I had "anxiety" my freshman year. All of this can simplily be called maturing/growing up, but I feel it was blown out of proportion. I am 100% sure that I never really had any of these things. Am I shit out of luck concerning my FC1? I can't remember doctors names, places, etc. and it has never been an issue. It was pretty much if Opera said it, my parents thought I needed to go see a doctor. How can I get this cleared up?

[ 02. May 2006, 06:28: Message edited by: Toro ]

Guest doctidy

Your story is no different than everyone else who had a medical problem and is now applying for a pilot slot..."but I really didn't have ###". I think the question is more "how bad was it"?

How do we separate it out? You bring in your records, they get reviewed, and a determination is made as to just how significant the problem actually was.

Guest TULSA

I know it sounds typical, I guess there is nothing I can do about that. Hopefully the doc will see that I am a well grounded individual. This really is a pain in the ass. I wish someone would have just told me to grow up or something. Is there a central location where I can pull my medical records? Would it be smart to visit another psychiatrist and get a checkout before I head to Brooks?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest derka derka

Hey Rage or anyone else qualified,

I'm an OTS pilot hopeful, but I had a medical issue that I'm not sure how to proceed with. At the outset, let me say that integrity is extremely important to me, and I don't want to lie or or fake my way into an FC1.

That said, in my junior year of high school, I was at a New England Boarding School, although my home was in California. I started exhibiting the classic symptoms of depression, and I was diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder by a psychiatric professional, and was treated for it using Lexapro. I started to get better, but the school year was ending, and when I went home and got out of the very stressful situation I was in, I got much better. I continued to see another psychiatric professional in California for the summer, but I was taken off the Lexapro within a week or two of arriving. In California, we tried to resolve the stressors that caused the disorder, mostly family issues, but the symptoms were gone almost immediately. I started the Lexapro in mid April, and got off it in late may. In addition, both doctors agreed that an Adjustment disorder with depressed mood and anxiety was the most appropriate characterization, considering all the circumstances of the issue.

Anyway, I returned to my boarding school and completed it without further incident, and then went onto college with no further issues.

From the search function and my look at the Regs, an Adjustment Disorder under 60 days is not disqualifying, an Adjustment Disorder over 60 days is disqualifying but semi-waiverable, and Major Depressive Disorder is a much harder waiver.

How should I approach Brooks about this, with a goal towards passing the FC1 and getting the waivers if necessary, without sacrificing my intergity.

Thanks for any advice that you can give me.

Guest doctidy

LOL - he's obviously seen that one of my big peeves is integrity.

You post sure paints a picture of adjustment disorder. In fact, after the first paragraph I was saying to myself, "I think this is really an adjustment disorder...". So, I would write up exactly what you wrote on this forum (you could almost cut and paste!). Then I'd bring copies of you medical records which show that the second doc called it an adjustment disorder. If he didn't call it an adjustment disorder in his notes...you're gonna need to have him write a note to that effect.

Let us know how it goes. I am confident this is a hurdle...but you'll clear it.

• 1 month later...
Guest othername

I come from a family that have problems with depression, anxiety, panic attacks etc etc. Some are on some meds, I'm sure others spend some time with professional therapists, hell, I majored in psychology just for this reason.

I'm that standard type A air force pilot and have always been able to handle what was thrown at me and but....over the past few months I have been having more and more bouts of depression. Its starting to feel likes its getting away from me but I'm always able to hold it together.

I come home from the office or flying and I'm just emotionally spent. My mother could even tell in recent phone conversations.

Now I don't plan on using baseops.net as my therapy (although it is pretty theraputic) but was wondering what would happen if I walked into the flight doc and revealed this.

And no, I'm not giving away my car and tv but I'm more worried about panic attacks.

Guest doctidy

Couple of options -

- talk w/ the chaplain...they have training, can keep what you tell them quiet, and can give you a little better sense of where you are at as well as helping you get better.

- talk w/ the flight doc to see if its depression, dysphoria, dysthymea, adjustment disorder and/or you need to be on meds

If you can still compartmentalize I'd go w/ option one. If you are having trouble keeping it in a box and out of the cockpit, there's no question you need to go w/ option two.

Apollo - Are you suggesting the famous Dr.Sigmund Freud condition of "my mother made me think I have depression?" Sounds like a legal defense I saw on Law and Order. Maybe you are just recommending the time honored, myopic (that would mean nearsighted...the inability to focus on distant opjects) therapy of "pull up your boot straps, Bucko...there's nothing wrong w/ you!"

Let me recommend to you that if someone comes to you, be they colleague or subordinate, and says thay are feeling depressed, that you use neither of those approaches.

Guest Rainman A-10

I am not a Doctor. I don't understand depression. However, I know it is real. I know it can devastate a person and a family. I also know that just because depression is common in a family doesn't mean you have or will have serious mental health issues.

Everyone gets run down and bummed out sometimes.

Rage has great advice. Go to the chaplain and have a chat. I would be honest but careful about how much I shared until I got a good feeling for the individual chaplain. Your words could be misinterpreted by someone who slept through all their training except the "if a pilot comes in saying they are depressed you must proceed directly to his commander and the flight doc to make sure they never fly again!" part.

Let me make this perfectly clear, most of the chaplains are great and they will do everything in their power to help you out.

Good luck.

Apollo, I'll second what Rage said. You don't have to be gay about it but you do need to be sensitive and aware that mental health problems are real. It may not matter to you right now but you'll need to be ready to help people if you ever become a commander, especially if your folks are subjected to highly stressful situations (like combat deployments). Lives depend on everyone's ability to get the job done and someone with a mental health issue which is ignored can be as dangerous to themselves and others as someone doing drugs.

My technique...you don't have to understand it, you just need to know it exists and how to support someone that needs help.

Guest sleepy

Does the military train chaplains in counseling, or is it all at the seminary level? Do commanders go through any training?

[ 13. July 2006, 08:01: Message edited by: sleepy ]

Guest Rainman A-10
Originally posted by sleepy:

Do commanders go through any training?

I wouldn't call it "training". More of a broad brush "suicide prevention", know when to refer to the "Commander's Legal Handbook" and "pawn it off on the flight doc" kind of thing.

Success for an idividual dealing with mental health issues often depends on the commander's personal empathy and ability to handle things discreetly. Many commander's don't want to deal with these kinds of sticky situations and look for the first opportunity to give the probelm away to the shirt, family support center, chaplain or flt doc and then wash their hands of the whole thing.

Treating and returning a person to duty is (or should be) the goal. That means the commander must be engaged, empathetic and compassionate. Easier said than done since most folks grow up in a "suck it up, stop whining and get some steel on target ASAFP" environment before they become commanders.

A commander has to work hard to promote a help seeking environment where people feel safe enough to come forward with mental health issues. Commanders are often swamped with other things related to mission acomplishment and see mental health as an irritant or non-player in their organization. Many only confront the issue when they are forced to do so because a symptom has somehow disrupted the unit. It is much easier to fill the square with one slide at the commander's call. Mention the "suicide prevention and mental health" materials handed out at the staff meeting and then post something on the board, hope you don't have to deal with it and call it good.

Guest doctidy
Originally posted by sleepy:

Does the military train chaplains in counseling, or is it all at the seminary level? Do commanders go through any training?

Interesting question. Agree w/ Rainman that they certainly get suicide prevention stuff. Do they get more when they come on AD, or have a recurring education requirement...I don't know.

Someone wanna ask the chaplain this Sunday? I'm at a CONUS location and go to a local Presbyterian church. The only chance I have is to run into a chaplain as I wander around base.

• 1 year later...
Guest laxman888

All of this air force stuff came about rather recently, and it has been brought to my attention that i may not qualify for a pilot slot. What i was really wondering as the title suggest, is that is it possible to get that coveted pilot slot and still have been diagnosed with severe depression. AS to the extent of my illness, lets just say i exhibited severe suicidal tendancies, am currently on medication, and i did get hospitalized before i was 18. Thanks for you responses.

PS I know you guys usually look at these thing very realistically, so please do not hold anything back. Thanks again.

I would say that the fact that you had to be hospitalized and have been prescribed medication are going to be pretty tall hurdles for you to jump. But, with that being said, its always worth a shot.

As Tertle said, don't give up and try every avenue/work your ass off to get a slot. But, this is a huge roadblock. I'm not certain of this, but I think previous suicide attempts, being hospitalized for near suicidal attempts, etc. is a show stopper. You have to understand, the AF is not very willing to let someone fly one of their multi-million dollar aircraft if they think the dude has a high risk of just planting it in the ground b/c his girlfriend broke up with him or something like that. One of the flight docs here can give you an accurate answers based on the medical perspective, but I have a feeling it's not going to be in your favor. Good luck w/ trying to get the slot, but just realize there's a lot going against you.

All of this air force stuff came about rather recently, and it has been brought to my attention that i may not qualify for a pilot slot. What i was really wondering as the title suggest, is that is it possible to get that coveted pilot slot and still have been diagnosed with severe depression. AS to the extent of my illness, lets just say i exhibited severe suicidal tendancies, am currently on medication, and i did get hospitalized before i was 18. Thanks for you responses.

PS I know you guys usually look at these thing very realistically, so please do not hold anything back. Thanks again.

Go to requiter and take physical at MEPS... if you're currently on meds, there is not a chance. If you were off of it for about a year with proper documentation from psychiatrist, there is might a low chance. While I was chilling at MEPS, there was a guy trying to enlist with similar issue. He was off meds for a year with proper paperwork, and he was allowed to. But that's for enlisted side. I assume for officer it is much harder...

Guest laxman888

Correct me if i am wrong but i thought to even get into ROTC i needed a background check? And yerfer would you mind telling me what kind of stuff. Namely outta curiosity. And i am definetly going to work my butt off if i get in. I never let my depression harm my school work or sports, so hopefully i can pull through for ROTC.

Thanks in advance!

Correct me if i am wrong but i thought to even get into ROTC i needed a background check? And yerfer would you mind telling me what kind of stuff. Namely outta curiosity. And i am definetly going to work my butt off if i get in. I never let my depression harm my school work or sports, so hopefully i can pull through for ROTC.

Thanks in advance!

No, you do not need a medical background check to get into ROTC (assuming you won't be going in under ROTC scholarship). However, Any civil or criminal offense stuff is expected from the beginning. Other than that, you go to a simple physical to assure your fit for PT (physical training) which is 3 days a week.

Air Force doesn't just wanna see that your doing well in school, work or sports. They want to see stable human beings that behave professional no matter where their at.

ROTC is going to require you to not just do well in school, and physical activities, but leadership as well. You will further your leadership skills and responsibilities as you move up each year. You'll also be given personal assignments (squadron/flight stuff).

Bottom line. If you don't get off your medication and learn to do life without it, your doomed for a career in the Air Force. If you can't do that, Its no big deal. The military isn't for everyone.

Edited by yerfer

Guest laxman888

Yerfer thank you so much for that information. Im sorry to throw those numbers out there. I erally do hate excuses or trying to make myself look good. Im just desperate at this point and trying to get the best view of my situation. Also, i do have one more question. Will i have to be off meds for a year by the time i enter college, or by the time i graduate from college? As of right now, ive been off for two weeks, and so that would be cutting it VERRRYYY close for the beginning of the next year. And how come i cannot get a scholarship if i had this problem?

Again, thank you soo much in advance. Wish me well!

Yerfer thank you so much for that information. Im sorry to throw those numbers out there. I erally do hate excuses or trying to make myself look good. Im just desperate at this point and trying to get the best view of my situation. Also, i do have one more question. Will i have to be off meds for a year by the time i enter college, or by the time i graduate from college? As of right now, ive been off for two weeks, and so that would be cutting it VERRRYYY close for the beginning of the next year. And how come i cannot get a scholarship if i had this problem?

Again, thank you soo much in advance. Wish me well!

As far as I know, you can go ROTC right now. I don't 'think' you have to be off the medication for a year for normal GMC (General Military Cadet). Just can't be on it when you join ROTC, from what I've heard. DOUBLE CHECK that with whatever detachment your thinking about joining.

Now, for swearing in as a member, I'm pretty sure you've gotta be off meds for a year, minimum. Correct me if I'm wrong guys. But, I know this is the case for Marines.

I never said you can't get a military scholarship for this problem. Just know that they are competitive. They will take a look at your high school GPA, and I think your current college GPA (if your in). You will also need to take and pass the AFOQT (you've got 2 shots). You will take it before you get the scholarship. You will also swear in after you go to MEPS and hopefully pass (military phsyical). THAT is where you'll possibly run into trouble. But don't take my word for it. For flight physical......That's a long long ways away from now. So focus on the here and now.

All in all, I would search the website of the exact detachment of whatever ROTC wing your looking at joining and read through the site details and if you can, make a visit and further investigate your options. Just don't be an overly desperate spaz. Thats usually a red flag that your a no go.

Never pass up the opportunity to use the search engine here. Good luck.

Edited by yerfer

• 1 month later...
Guest laxman888

Ive been doing some research and basically have been playing the waiting game for updates and news regarding ROTC and the like. In any case, I was wondering when is the absolute earliest time I can get officially reviewed for a flight physical (or officer physical?). Also, with this, when is the earliest time I can start the waiver process. Will there be any commitment incurred if i get this medical evaluation? I am a senior in high school right now and would like to get this process started and finished ASAP. And one last thing, if i get a waiver for my condition will it come up again in any flight physicals ( a situation where my service opportunities would be jeopardized)? Thanks for the help!

Guest F16crewdwgg
Ive been doing some research and basically have been playing the waiting game for updates and news regarding ROTC and the like. In any case, I was wondering when is the absolute earliest time I can get officially reviewed for a flight physical (or officer physical?). Also, with this, when is the earliest time I can start the waiver process. Will there be any commitment incurred if i get this medical evaluation? I am a senior in high school right now and would like to get this process started and finished ASAP. And one last thing, if i get a waiver for my condition will it come up again in any flight physicals ( a situation where my service opportunities would be jeopardized)? Thanks for the help!

I'm not a doctor, but I think if I were you, I wouldn't jump into ROTC. What you should do is get off your medication, goto college, and just enjoy life. Then when you get your awesome degree with high grades and show you been off your medication for many years, try for OTS. Throw those pills away and just be happy to be alive and stop stressing.

Do what makes you happy. Make others happy, and climb the hill and don't stop until you get to the top. Get involved with alot in your school, volunteer, make a difference. When it comes to OTS.. .. Your response: you were young, depressed.. and your parents over reacted, got scared, and made the decision to hospitalize you. Which I'm sure is true. Everyone gets depressed. I don't care who you are. So what, your wall is a little bigger to climb. Guess what, strive for the best and heck, if the AF does not take you consider it as a loss to the AF, not you. Then take what you have made of yourself and go as far as you can go. Trust me, when you can impress yourself, then you will impress everyon else.

Good luck to you. -Jeff

• 15 years later...

little bit of a thread revival. 

I was erroneously DQ'd by the MEPS chief medical officer 3 months ago for cuts on my legs (ive never cut myself before), which is ridiculous because everyone has scars on their legs from being active as a kid. i somehow got lucky and was the only one examined by this doctor, and everyone else that had the same cicatrixs' I did were passed through. even my recruiter was appalled by this call. I had to send a few letters and pictures regarding my cuts to the Air Forcer Surgeon General for a waiver, which was denied(?), and my recruiter hit me up a couple days ago saying that they want me to see a psychiatrist for an evaluation. 

excuse my French, but *** am I supposed to tell the psychiatrist when theirs literally nothing to be said? 

I am sure he's gonna ask about depression etc; to be honest, I was like 2.5 years ago from some dumb breakup, but I never physically hurt myself or wanted to kill myself. 

would I be shooting myself in the foot if I told him something like this that has no correlation to my cuts? 

Edited by wikz